Olympiacos Vs Arsenal | Champions League 09/12/09

Re: Olympiacos Vs Arsenal | Champions League 09/12/09

Postby mg86 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:41 am

CynicalGooner wrote:My overview.... I think we played well overall and definitely deserved something from the game.

Fabianski had a good game. Commanded his box well, snuffed out threats quickly and distrobuted well. Nothing he could really do about the goal. Start him this weekend please wenger.

Gilbert was shit. He was shit 3 years ago, he was shit earlier in the season and he was shit tonight. he's slow and has no positional awareness

Bartely and Cruise both had good games. Don't remember a big mistake from either of them actually. Cruise didn't have much to do though since little of their play came down the right.

Ramsey was awesome and MOTM by a country mile.

Merida and Song both had very good games too. Merida has great ball control and whilst his passing isn't quite as sharp as Ramsey's, it's still fantastic.

Walcott's movement was great but his first touch and control let him and the team down severely, but if he isn't injured again those are things he'll get back with time. Also he faded towards the end and was barely seen in the last 20 minutes.

Wilshere had a decent game, nothing outstanding but the game will do him the world of good.

Vela.... eh, I think he was pretty bad. Didn't really do much, his movement was alright but when he got the ball he fluffed it more often than not. Ran into traffic and lost possesion a number of times. I think he had 4 shots? 2 right at the keeper and 2 wide. Same as Walcott though, he should get these things right with more games under his belt.

Nice review, I wasnt able to see the game today but I got a good idea what happened now.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Goose » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:58 am

gunngunn wrote:What can i say?

Thought the lads did extremely well to be perfectly honest, and they SHOULD have won by a country mile.

I thought Theo was outstanding, for once he was not shoved out on the wing, he was everywhere, on the left, down the right, down the centre, it was a great display, it was like watching a minature Henry out there and he was lucky not to have a goal or 5.

Kerrea Gilbert will draw the main bulk of my criticism because to be frank he was shite, countless times he was skinned by Leonardo down his left side and one time it resulted in a goal, very much against the run of play.

Ramsey was brilliant, he is so much more direct than Cesc and IMO instead of people comparing the two i think they should both be playing in midfield together.

In all it was good experience for the lads but they need to take their chances, would have been nice to end the night on a high but we topped the group comfortably and Walcott came away unscathed hopefully.

Oh noes, what will Itus, say! It could be my most positive post EVAR!!! And not a mention of AW in sight!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Who is this imposter?

Where is the real GunnGunn?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Exactly, this was team made mainly up of kids who normally play in reserves and youth cups taking on the Greek champions and they created some great opportunities to not only score, but could even have won.

This match has shown us that with time and more experience, Fabianski, Ramsey, Wilshere, Vela and Walcott will be components of a formidable Arsenal team, along with Song, Cesc, Bendtner, Vermaelen and Gibbs, who are only in their early 20s and not even near their prime yet........

In 3 to 5 years time this team will be unstoppable, they will be a team that has grown up together, come through the youth system together and have played together with each other for years and have an almost psychic like connection :lol:

The futures bright, the futures Red & White.....
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:14 am

To be honest some of these kids look better than their first team counterparts.

I really like Denilson but how him and Diaby are ahead of Ramsey is beyond me, he is absolutely f***ing insanely good, best £5 million ever spent on a youngster IMO, i am so glad that AW pulled out all the stops to sign him, because right now he looks like a £15 million player and he should be starting every game alongside Cesc.

We still need a couple of players obviously but even though we lost tonight, unlike in the CC i didn't feel bad, i just felt proud that some of these lads cut apart a proven CL team who have been in it for years, so they lost, they will learn and they will be better for it, it will make them hungrier.

There is just something about these lads that the first team don't have, no fear, they will go and they will play and if they lose its not the end of the world they will still hold their heads up, lot more than i do in the same situations most of the time lol but you know what i mean.

People call this team young, lets make it even younger by playing some of these lads on a regular basis, Ramsey and Merida are just too good to get the odd sub appearence, they should be starting games.

If Barcelona can play their youngsters regularly despite the wealth of ammunition and depth they have at their disposal we should be able to with no problem and i think we would see a marked improvement in performances.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby IMF » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:16 am

Thomas Cruise was wank!! Apart from him and Gilbert; I was proud of everyone. Merry-dar had some shocking moments too mind.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby IMF » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:26 am

Oh yeah... special mention for Vela.

I remember Wenger saying that Vela is a bit like Eduardo. As in a finisher. Well Eduardo seems to have developed the ability to not hit a barn door and Vela has happily followed in his footsteps.

I swear we do not teach crossing or finishing at training.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby gooneritis » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:24 am

CynicalGooner wrote:My overview.... I think we played well overall and definitely deserved something from the game.

Fabianski had a good game. Commanded his box well, snuffed out threats quickly and distrobuted well. Nothing he could really do about the goal. Start him this weekend please wenger.

Gilbert was shit. He was shit 3 years ago, he was shit earlier in the season and he was shit tonight. he's slow and has no positional awareness

Bartely and Cruise both had good games. Don't remember a big mistake from either of them actually. Cruise didn't have much to do though since little of their play came down the right.

Ramsey was awesome and MOTM by a country mile.

Merida and Song both had very good games too. Merida has great ball control and whilst his passing isn't quite as sharp as Ramsey's, it's still fantastic.

Walcott's movement was great but his first touch and control let him and the team down severely, but if he isn't injured again those are things he'll get back with time. Also he faded towards the end and was barely seen in the last 20 minutes.

Wilshere had a decent game, nothing outstanding but the game will do him the world of good.

Vela.... eh, I think he was pretty bad. Didn't really do much, his movement was alright but when he got the ball he fluffed it more often than not. Ran into traffic and lost possesion a number of times. I think he had 4 shots? 2 right at the keeper and 2 wide. Same as Walcott though, he should get these things right with more games under his belt.

i agree almost 100%.

i especially agree about gilbert, i was going to be just as scathing but you beat me to it. he'll never make it arsenal and i'd wager won't play top flight football.

i would say bartley and cruise both had average games at best though, both looked shaky at times with some poor decision making and clearances with bad positional sense. but those are things a defender learns with age.

agree with the rest.

walcott has a terrible touch and i'm starting to slowly doubt whether he'll ever make it. he still trips over his own feet every time he gets the ball, has an awful first touch and doesn't seem to have all that good a footballing brain.

vela was bad, didn't do much at all and his finishing was abysmal, missed 2 clear one on ones, he cannot afford to be missing those chances if he wants to play as our one man up front. it's also not the first time this season he's been guilty of wasting sitters.

the midfield did great, ramsey was superb and song, wilshere and merida all good.

all in all going to greece against their champions is a tough task and our kids did well, should have gotten something from it but at least our young squad players (i.e. players who we'll call upon over the next year) showed they're up to it.
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gooneritis » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:32 am

gunngunn wrote:To be honest some of these kids look better than their first team counterparts.

I really like Denilson but how him and Diaby are ahead of Ramsey is beyond me, he is absolutely f***ing insanely good, best £5 million ever spent on a youngster IMO, i am so glad that AW pulled out all the stops to sign him, because right now he looks like a £15 million player and he should be starting every game alongside Cesc.

We still need a couple of players obviously but even though we lost tonight, unlike in the CC i didn't feel bad, i just felt proud that some of these lads cut apart a proven CL team who have been in it for years, so they lost, they will learn and they will be better for it, it will make them hungrier.

There is just something about these lads that the first team don't have, no fear, they will go and they will play and if they lose its not the end of the world they will still hold their heads up, lot more than i do in the same situations most of the time lol but you know what i mean.

People call this team young, lets make it even younger by playing some of these lads on a regular basis, Ramsey and Merida are just too good to get the odd sub appearence, they should be starting games.

If Barcelona can play their youngsters regularly despite the wealth of ammunition and depth they have at their disposal we should be able to with no problem and i think we would see a marked improvement in performances.

i'd be playing ramsey and wilshere over a few of our first team players (diaby and denilson).

arshavin, fabregas, rosicky, nasri, wilshere, ramsey, song

that really is a very strong midfield squad.

just need to find a striker who can be 25 goals +
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Goonergirl171 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:18 am

I thought overall our performance was quite tidy and composed, I thought Ramsay was brilliant aswell, and all of our attackers Theo was the one willing to make the most happen, did some very impressive runs and I thought he had some beautiful moments and then some not-so beautiful moments, so overall it was balanced, but he is a very confidence-type player.

Vela tried hard aswell all game - could've done better with his chances aswell but is still a star player, same for Theo, both need goals to get confidence back.

Fabianski did really well also.

Oh and who else was watching it on ITV when they kept calling Merida, Merry-dah? Lol, they really need to learn how to pronounce our players names.
Goonergirl171
Patrick Vieira

Postby Q8 Gooner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:43 am

I was proud.. Good performance.. But a bit disappointed we didn't at least get a draw.. Key things for me.. Gilbert can't make it ever.. Cruise not bad for a first start.. Bartley looks to be a big strong old fashioned defender.. Ramsey was f**king amazing bossed the midfield and ran the show.. Song impressive as usual.. Merida needs to look at himself imo he tends to overdo things a lot.. Jack not a bad performance.. Vela and Theo were shocking for me, they need to step up if they r to challenge for a place in the first team.. Fab really needs some advice on his rash decision making!!
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby thebish » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:13 am

gooneritis wrote:
walcott has a terrible touch and i'm starting to slowly doubt whether he'll ever make it. he still trips over his own feet every time he gets the ball, has an awful first touch and doesn't seem to have all that good a footballing brain.

but Gunngunn wrote...

I thought Theo was outstanding, for once he was not shoved out on the wing, he was everywhere, on the left, down the right, down the centre, it was a great display, it was like watching a minature Henry out there and he was lucky not to have a goal or 5.

It's a game of opinions isn't it!! But who's right?? There's only one way to find out...

thebish
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby thebish » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:15 am

gooneritis wrote:arshavin, fabregas, rosicky, nasri, wilshere, ramsey, song

if you have goals all over the squad - why do you need a 25+ goals striker?
thebish
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby gzagee » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:52 am

thebish wrote:

Not that we need a 25 goal striker but we need a focal point, someone who can link the play.

You probably ain't noticed we've not been so free scoring since RVP got injured. Maybe that should give you an indication ;)
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby thebish » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:16 am

gzagee wrote:
thebish wrote:

Not that we need a 25 goal striker but we need a focal point, someone who can link the play.

You probably ain't noticed we've not been so free scoring since RVP got injured. Maybe that should give you an indication ;)

I can understand "focal point" - but that's not what gooneritis said - your focal point does not have to be free-scoring as long as those around him are! (see dictionary under "Kevin Davies! ;-) ) I think you're wayyyyy better spreading the goals out around your scintillating attacking players than putting all your eggs in a 25-goal striker...
thebish
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby mg86 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:26 pm

thebish wrote:
gzagee wrote:
thebish wrote:

I can understand "focal point" - but that's not what gooneritis said - your focal point does not have to be free-scoring as long as those around him are! (see dictionary under "Kevin Davies! ;-) ) I think you're wayyyyy better spreading the goals out around your scintillating attacking players than putting all your eggs in a 25-goal striker...

Dead on bish. That was what was so remarkable about our displays at the beginning of the season, everyone was scoring, even our cbs. The issue at the moment though isn't needing a 25+ goal striker because we lack one, I think VP was well on his way to around 20. But rather because we lost one and do not have sufficient reliable back up, despite how good you rate Bendtner or Eduardo. VP was our drogba, consistently racking up equal assists for his goals. The sudden drop in form hasnt been surprising what so ever to me as I always knew how crucial he was to the team. Wenger needs to buy a similar player to fill this void, and like it financially or not, the void requires a pricey, proven and prolific striker.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2009-10