Arsenal Vs Stoke | Premiership 05/12/09

Re: Arsenal Vs Stoke | Premiership 05/12/09

Postby Leody » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:12 am

CynicalGooner wrote:
Goose wrote:Why shoot when you can make 30 passes and wait for the oppositions defence and midfield to pack the box?

lol why indeed?!

It's horrible when we have a 50 pass move that ultimately comes to nothing then they lump it up, have a crack from 30 yards and it goes in

I thought for sure that was going to happen when they beat the offside trap with a hoofed ball when it was 1-0
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Q8 Gooner » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:20 am

Vermaelen was brilliant heading the ball.. Arshavin looked good as a central striker.. Denilson did well.. Fabregas was poor though, but thats what quality players do, even on his off day he assisted the goal for Arshavin.. I really like the directness of Ramsey.. hope wenger doesn't spoil him..
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Rockin' Robin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:24 am

Q8 Gooner wrote:Vermaelen was brilliant heading the ball.. Arshavin looked good as a central striker.. Denilson did well.. Fabregas was poor though, but thats what quality players do, even on his off day he assisted the goal for Arshavin.. I really like the directness of Ramsey.. hope wenger doesn't spoil him..

Agree with all of that mate. Could have been the penalty miss early on that shook his performance.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Goose » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:16 pm

In all fairness I think Cesc had a great game, he really defended well and hustled for the ball and he would have scored if Eboue wasn't in the way
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby Rockin' Robin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:18 pm

He lost the ball an awful lot though Goose.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gooner90 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:38 pm

arshavin should eb started loan striker more often he was quicker at turning and getting his shot off than eduardo
gooner90
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Git » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:49 pm

Just watched the game and I thought Nasri was pretty good. Always hungry for the ball and some neat little twists and turns. Tired out towards the end though, naturally.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Q8 Gooner » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:13 am

Goose wrote:In all fairness I think Cesc had a great game, he really defended well and hustled for the ball and he would have scored if Eboue wasn't in the way

If Diaby or Denilson had the same performance as Cesc I might settle for it.. But Cesc has set really high standards for himself.. We r not used to see him giving the ball away so many times..
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SE13 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:16 pm

Via E-Mail, Arsene Wenger wrote:Dear Supporter,

We needed the three points on Saturday.

I feel we had a good first half against Stoke and we should have been two or three up. Then in the second half you could see that recent defeats had played on our mind because it was only 1-0 and we were a bit more restricted. But what I liked is that we didn't give any chances away and we got the second goal that secured the win.

You could see how we have a game based on initiative and if our confidence drops we are in danger. That's why we could not lose confidence against Stoke.

When Cesc missed his penalty I did think it might be one of those days, especially when you play against Stoke who are well-organised, mentally strong and do not need many chances to score a goal against you because of their long throws or set pieces. If you make a mistake they take advantage of it.

At the end of the day we scored the most difficult chance in the first half and Andrey did an excellent job in his central role. I don't think he was desperate to play centre forward but I am convinced he can do that job because he has good body power and movement and good technique. He could have had two or three goals on Saturday and overall he did very well.

I don't know whether he will play there all the time while Robin is injured. I have to try it again and to see if it works at home, away from home and to find a balance as well because I had many technical players around him with Rosicky, Nasri, Fabregas and Eboue all penetrating from deep positions. That is needed when you have a player like Arshavin.

We will see but at the moment we do not have much choice with Walcott out, Bendtner out, Van Persie of course. But we could get Walcott back, we could get Bendtner back in two to three weeks. We had as well Diaby and Song out on Saturday and they should be available next week.

There are even more injuries to report after the Stoke game. We had Eboue with a muscular problem, Rosicky with a groin problem, Traore a hamstring problem and Gallas a hamstring problem. We are hopeful that Eboue, Traore and Gallas are not too serious but Tomas is out for a while. Eduardo has a thigh problem but the medical staff tell me he could be available next weekend.

Thanks for your continued support.

Arsène Wenger

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:12 pm

The Midfield General wrote:
Q8 Gooner wrote:Vermaelen was brilliant heading the ball.. Arshavin looked good as a central striker.. Denilson did well.. Fabregas was poor though, but thats what quality players do, even on his off day he assisted the goal for Arshavin.. I really like the directness of Ramsey.. hope wenger doesn't spoil him..

Agree with all of that mate. Could have been the penalty miss early on that shook his performance.

It definitely wasn't the penalty miss because he was utter pants from the word go.
Not by his high standards, not by Denilson's standards, by anyone's standards, he was just rubbish simple as that.
It does get to me sometimes the way that AW will never take a key player off even when he's having a complete and utter mare.
He's done it 80 times with Diaby and and now Cesc gets to stay on. It's not as if we don't have players on the bench that could've replaced Cesc.
Ramsey could've come on for him and couldn't possibly have been any worse despite his young age. Why not take the risk?

Traore was good and used his strength well, Arshavin was excellent, Eboue was useful and Gallas was supersolid.
Still a very ugly win though. For the last 4-5 games we have utterly failed to get our passing game going and I can't understand it.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:57 pm

hmmmmm,

Arshavin looked good as central striker ay?!?

i wonder who suggested this first :think:
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Q8 Gooner » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:44 am

The Massa Machine wrote:hmmmmm,

Arshavin looked good as central striker ay?!?

i wonder who suggested this first :think:

Has to be the Ex leader.. The Holy Massa
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2009-10