Arsenal Vs AZ Alkmaar | Champions League 04/11/09

Re: Arsenal Vs AZ Alkmaar | Champions League 04/11/09

Postby Rockin' Robin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:20 pm

Inchpractice wrote:He was good but brilliant is a bit strong imo.
When he scored his goal he bust a gut running the entire length of the pitch to get into the box and then took the goal very well. Nice and composed finish.

But there were still some classic Diaby moments in there, ponderous on the ball, breaking down our attacking moves etc.
Everyone else is happy to take two touches then move the ball on even if that means passing backwards or sideways but he has to draw a crowd of oppo players around him and then get tackled.

He's gradually improving with every game though and the mistakes are slowly decreasing in number. He'll probably be on top form just as Denilson recovers and takes his place back. :grin:

I agree with that. I thought Diaby gave the ball away more than anyone, but still gave us something positive.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StLGooner » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Did anyone catch Gallas roming up to the front a few times, he seems like he doesn't want The Verminator to outscore him this season. :rofll:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Yeah I noticed that, he played a part in the first goal.
Good for him I say, can't beat a bit of healthy competition.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby liam_cork » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:12 pm

diaby actually had a decent game
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Popey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:16 pm

jep. diaby was decent. but that normaly means that he will be shit for the next 3 games. but lets hope not.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Goose » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:01 pm

IMF wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
Goose wrote:Goes to show how much Adebayor messed up the flow of the team last season

I was just thinking the same thing this morning.
We're averaging what, 3 or 4 goals a game now? We never got near that with him in the side.
When he played for us we kept saying "If only there was someone who could finish all those gilt-edged chances..."
Now there is and his name is.......any other player.

I thought we'd have scored more goals in the season when he scored 30 if he wasn't in the team.

I guess I thought right... :)

Indeed, im sure there were some stats somewhere that even last season we scored more goals when he was injured than when he played

He is Citehs problem now, they have managed 4 draws in a row.......

The best thing about this team is that a goal can come from any number of players, its hard to defend against and the players swap positions so man marking does not work

ChVint22 wrote:Did anyone catch Gallas roming up to the front a few times, he seems like he doesn't want The Verminator to outscore him this season. :rofll:

Gallas is a true roaming defender, I think he gets bored in defence when we are dominating, plus he is quite technical and likes to run at players sometimes
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby gooneritis » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:06 am

Goose wrote:
IMF wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
Goose wrote:Goes to show how much Adebayor messed up the flow of the team last season

I was just thinking the same thing this morning.
We're averaging what, 3 or 4 goals a game now? We never got near that with him in the side.
When he played for us we kept saying "If only there was someone who could finish all those gilt-edged chances..."
Now there is and his name is.......any other player.

I thought we'd have scored more goals in the season when he scored 30 if he wasn't in the team.

I guess I thought right... :)

Indeed, im sure there were some stats somewhere that even last season we scored more goals when he was injured than when he played

He is Citehs problem now, they have managed 4 draws in a row.......

The best thing about this team is that a goal can come from any number of players, its hard to defend against and the players swap positions so man marking does not work

ChVint22 wrote:Did anyone catch Gallas roming up to the front a few times, he seems like he doesn't want The Verminator to outscore him this season. :rofll:

Gallas is a true roaming defender, I think he gets bored in defence when we are dominating, plus he is quite technical and likes to run at players sometimes

its that roaming by gallas which has left us shaky at the back at times this season.
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Kano » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:26 am

It takes more than one central defender to make us shaky at any given time.

We've seen The Verm and Big Willie strolling upfront at various times so far this season but that has nothing to do with their style but more so to do with us. Can you recall Big Bill doing that with The Chavs on the regs?

I can't, so that tells me his liberated 'style' of play is more easily expressed with a service such us ours
Kano
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2009-10