Arsenal Vs Tottenham | Premiership 31/10/09

Re: Arsenal Vs Tottenham | Premiership 31/10/09

Postby SE13 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:05 pm

Via E-Mail, Arsene Wenger wrote:Dear Supporter,

I believe we lacked some fluency in the first half an hour on Saturday. We played a little bit with the handbrake on and couldn't find our usual flow. But during that period we were serious and overall, despite the fact we won 3-0, we had a good defensive performance and our back five was very efficient. We dealt well with Tottenham's offensive threat.

We took advantage with the first goal and then also took advantage of the shock provoked by the first goal. Cesc took the ball straight away, they lost it because there was an uncertainty, a kind of shock in their team, and we took advantage of it. I thought when he won the first challenge, then the second, that it would stop with Ledley King, but he managed to push the ball through King's legs and had a chance to score.

In the second half we always played a little bit restricted but once we got the third goal you didn't have the impression that Spurs could come back and we didn't give any goal chances away.

I threw my jacket at 3-0 because I was frustrated. I could not communicate with my players because of the noise of the stadium. That's why I got frustrated because I felt it was important for the team not to concede a goal because any goal with what happened recently could have maybe caused a resurgence for Spurs.

Robin van Persie scored two more goals and showed that he is a mixture of players. He is less a runner with the ball than Thierry Henry and is not completely Dennis Bergkamp because he plays high up the pitch. But he is the kind of player with the kind of game we have who is vital because when you play the ball through the lines to his feet, his first touch is perfect and that allows us to join in. And then he can give you a little pass which makes everybody dangerous. In the box he is intelligent and clever.

Cesc was excellent again. The first time we saw him play at 16 years of age he had that certain thing you cannot give to players, what you call the 'signs' of the midfielder, where you have to turn, where you have to play the ball, in what areas. Of course that is talent.

Saturday's game showed again why I'm confident we can win the title. I have said that since the first day of the season and I will not change my mind.

We want to show consistency, intelligence and that is not easy. We have other competitors but why should we not challenge? We have the opportunity and the quality and it will be down to our attitude. We cannot lose a striker in every game, that would cause a problem. We need to be preserved a little bit from injuries, but I am convinced we have the quality, attitude and spirit in the squad.

I think it has been a fantastic week for the Club because we beat Liverpool, we beat Tottenham, both times with convincing performances and with a style of play which is now within our Club. I am very proud of that.

Thanks for your continued support.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:49 am

:grin: :grin:

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby gzagee » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:56 am

Good memories.

Although that 'Who are ya?!' chant is cringeworthy.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:10 pm

gzagee wrote:Good memories.

I was thinking the same thing.
I'm so glad I was there that day. I was still celebrating the first goal when the second one went in, I almost missed it.
:cloud9:

We really have to come up with something better than 'OO R YA?' at some point, it's pathetic.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby SE13 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:37 pm

We've been doing that since before I can remember....... Usually very loudly down The Clock End.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Fordy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:58 pm

SE13 wrote:

We've been doing that since before I can remember.......

to be fair they could have started doing it last week and that statemnet would still be true
Fordy

Postby Briggsy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:20 pm

What about the Easy easy easy easy chant? Some idiots admittedly a lot of idiots sung it when we was 1-0 up against West ham we all know what happened there
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:46 pm

The "easy easy" chant goes back to the days of wrestling on ITV and the like of Big Daddy and Giant Haystack. It was resurrected by SoccerAM about ten years ago, and has been a feature in most grounds ever since.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:59 pm

I was far happier to sing "Are you Tottenham in disguise?" that day.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby SE13 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:00 pm

Inchpractice wrote:I was far happier to sing "Are you Tottenham in disguise?" that day.

:rofll: :rofll:

Always a classic!

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:58 pm

More like it for crowd reaction:

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Popey » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:11 pm

:arsesmile:

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby AZGooner » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:06 pm

SE13 wrote:More like it for crowd reaction:

god i love that vid. can't believe I was actually there to experience that. i doing the same thing as the guy with the camera. went crazy for the first goal then started to look up at the replay to cheer again when i hear another roar only to notice Cesc making a run and then.....PANDEMONIUM!!!
AZGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Q8 Gooner » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:11 am

I get this good feeling when i watch this video.. :arsenal3:
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Briggsy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:26 am

texaz41 wrote:

god i love that vid. can't believe I was actually there to experience that. i doing the same thing as the guy with the camera. went crazy for the first goal then started to look up at the replay to cheer again when i hear another roar only to notice Cesc making a run and then.....PANDEMONIUM!!!

this is why I'm glad I watch the screen towards the yids goal didn't miss a thing ha ha :)
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2009-10