Arsenal Vs Olympiacos | Champions League 29/09/09

Re: Arsenal Vs Olympiacos | Champions League 29/09/09

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:08 pm

I dont think Arshavin should have a position, neither Eduardo, they should be "floaters" just on the pitch doing their own thing, as they know when and where to pop up at the right time
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby IMF » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:18 pm

we didn't scope until smooth's pal went off...FYD!

Oops, wrong thread.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:29 pm

Goose wrote:I dont think Arshavin should have a position, neither Eduardo, they should be "floaters" just on the pitch doing their own thing, as they know when and where to pop up at the right time

You're making them sound like a couple of turds.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:29 pm

Inchpractice wrote:You can tell that Arshavin hasn't reached his full potential with us yet but when he does he'll be incredible and it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up with 25 goals one season.
I also think he'd be more effective in a different position because he can drift in and out of games on the left wing.

You can say the same thing about Henry and Messi on their respective wings too. He just has to make that position his own. Doing a good job so far
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:31 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Goose wrote:I dont think Arshavin should have a position, neither Eduardo, they should be "floaters" just on the pitch doing their own thing, as they know when and where to pop up at the right time

You're making them sound like a couple of turds.

Lol, I knew someone would say that
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby Swan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:58 pm

LONDON (AP) - Olympiakos manager Zico suggested there was a French refereeing conspiracy in his team's 2-0 loss to Arsenal in the Champions League on Tuesday, complaining there shouldn't have been a second goal.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is French and many of his players are from the country. The four match officials - referee Stephane Lannoy, assistants Eric Dansault and Laurent Ugo and fourth official Antony Gautier - are all from France.

Andrei Arshavin scored an easy tap-in after good lead-up work from second-half substitute Aaron Ramsey and Cesc Fabregas in the 86th minute. Television replays seemed to show that Arshavin was offside. The goal went in while Olympiakos was searching for an equalizer after Robin van Persie had scored in the 78th.

Zico, who said Arshavin was offside, said UEFA should think twice when choosing referees if one team has so many players from a single country.

"We had three French referees with a French coach in the other team that had 10 French players," Zico said. "Maybe we could have had referees from other countries."

Asked if he thought there was intentional bias, Zico replied: "We always hope it's a mistake." He was pressed on whether it was a genuine complaint and if he would take the issue further, and he said "They're just comments. I have a right to make comments."

Olympiakos defender Olof Mellberg also said it was obvious Arshavin's goal should have been disallowed and can't understand how the match officials missed the call.

"They scored a goal which was at least three yards offside," Mellberg said. "You can't understand how a linesman can miss a goal like that."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/1 ... conspiracy
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:05 pm

Zico is really clutching at straws with that comment.
Offside or no offside they were never going to score with 4 minutes to go.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:12 pm

10 French players, looooool
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby dj_jonty_uk » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:14 pm

:lol: yeah, we all know it was offside, and the official got it wrong........but Zico can hardly mean that he thought they should have gotten anything out of the game! thoroughly played off the park, and we deserved the win.

did he mention the olympiacos hand-ball incident that the ref missed? thought not.
dj_jonty_uk
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:27 pm

dj_jonty_uk wrote::lol: yeah, we all know it was offside, and the official got it wrong........but Zico can hardly mean that he thought they should have gotten anything out of the game! thoroughly played off the park, and we deserved the win.

did he mention the olympiacos hand-ball incident that the ref missed? thought not.

Yup, blatent handball, it all balances out in the end
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby Olof Mellberg » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:03 am

Congratulations to Arsenal for their deserved win. They created more chances, gave enough pressure to our defense and imo it was a fair win for them.

But....lets don't hide behind our fingers, UEFA knew what they were doing by assigning this game to a French trio....The match was not decided on the referees however they took away in a really bad manner the possibilites from Olympiakos. It wasn't only the goal-offside by Arshavin (1 meter for God's sake!), but the 90-10 attitude from start to finish. Their attitude touched a "scandalous" level for a CL game. And if Panathinaikos's forward Djibril Cisse deserved a 3 games ban for a dangerous tackle in Spain against Atletico without even hitting his opponent, then Van Persie's tackle on Zewlakow's Achilees from behind was a black card and 3 games as well. But lets don't forget who put that ref there so I'm not expecting anything....

So, congratulations to UEFA as well for making themselves look stupid, I wonder when their next wasteful "fair play" campaign starts. :clap:
Olof Mellberg
Liam Brady

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:23 am

Let them talk

It's nothing off our back, we completely spanked them, deserved the win and they played like a bunch of girls. No offside goal or (lol) french conspiracy theory changes that.

I'd also like to point to the fact that decisions were going against them because they were constantly making last ditch fouls to stop our momentum.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gooneritis » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:09 am

Olof Mellberg wrote:Congratulations to Arsenal for their deserved win. They created more chances, gave enough pressure to our defense and imo it was a fair win for them.

But....lets don't hide behind our fingers, UEFA knew what they were doing by assigning this game to a French trio....The match was not decided on the referees however they took away in a really bad manner the possibilites from Olympiakos. It wasn't only the goal-offside by Arshavin (1 meter for God's sake!), but the 90-10 attitude from start to finish. Their attitude touched a "scandalous" level for a CL game. And if Panathinaikos's forward Djibril Cisse deserved a 3 games ban for a dangerous tackle in Spain against Atletico without even hitting his opponent, then Van Persie's tackle on Zewlakow's Achilees from behind was a black card and 3 games as well. But lets don't forget who put that ref there so I'm not expecting anything....

So, congratulations to UEFA as well for making themselves look stupid, I wonder when their next wasteful "fair play" campaign starts. :clap:

tosh, the referee did a good job.

how do you feel about the blatent handball in the box (actually pushing the ball away from our attacker) which should have given us a penalty when it was still 0-0?

or is that conveniently forgotten as it happens to even out the offside goal - which by then lets face it the game was over.
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:37 am

Swan wrote:LONDON (AP) - Olympiakos manager Zico suggested there was a French refereeing conspiracy in his team's 2-0 loss to Arsenal in the Champions League on Tuesday, complaining there shouldn't have been a second goal.

I'm just glad its not us making the excuses this time. I hate it when Wenger moans and I have absolutely no respect for anyone who loses a game and then tries to find 101 excuses for their defeat. Olympiakos didn't turn up until the second half and went home after 15 mins of that half! They can have no complaints because they were rubbish!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Popey » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:15 am

but I also think that its strange to give a match like that to a french ref. we've got a french manager and many french players. not very intelligent from the uefa. but that's nothing new.

back to the performance: very good performance overall. I just don't see why eddie, vela and ramsey always needs to start on the bench because players like diaby don't have to be on the pitch. we still have theo and nasri so what a squad we've got.

we also saw that eboué is still a great RB and that we should rotate more between our FB's. the same with clichy. why not starting with gibbs to give clichy a rest?

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2009-10