Sp*rs 2-1 Arsenal

Sp*rs 2-1 Arsenal

Postby Rockin' Robin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:24 am

Sigh.

Looks like it's another season without trophies for us. Unless Chelsea lose to both Tottenham and Liverpool and draw to Stoke or Wigan and Man United draw one of their remaining games. Then we'd need to win all of our games. The only other way would be to win it on goal difference, for which we'd need Chelsea to lose twice, Man United to draw and we'd also need to get 15 goals back on Chelsea in our last four games. Can't see either of those happening.

Must be the worst way to be knocked out of the title race. Five games to go, playing against your deadliest rivals, hoping to keep your unbeaten run up against them, hoping to stay in the title race and simultaneously damage their Champions League hopes by winning. Arsene had confirmed this was a must-win.

The surprise of the team news was youngster Danny Rose starting for Sp*rs. I'd actually laughed during Twitchy's interview before the game; "So Harry, can you tell us the thinking behind Danny Rose starting?" "Yeah he's got a great........... range of passing." Seemed to me 'Arry couldn't think of anything good about him.

We started off alright, Sol Campbell of all people had a.. not exactly a shot, he jumped and it sort of hit him.. well anyway it was cleared off the line. Then Vermaelen put in a vital block on a shot from Pavlyuchenko to turn it round for a corner. In it came, Almunia came to punch, it was cleared to about 25 yards out, and there was Danny Rose.

He volleyed it left footed, and it zoomed past the flailing hands of Almunia, who, it seemed to me, had barely jumped. If he had, he surely would have stopped it. So 1-0 down after 10 minutes. Great.

Then Vermaelen went off with a calf strain, looks like he's out for the rest of the season. Joining Gallas and Arshavin with their calf strains. We might as well trademark that injury.

The half ended frustratingly. Barely a single shot, and we couldn't get past the brick wall Sp*rs had put in front of the goal in a desperate attempt to stop us. So, half time and 1-0 down. Could be worse, we s'posed.

It got worse. Sagna was the one guilty of being way too deep, and played Bale onside as Defoe played a ball all the way through our defence, and Bale just slotted it past Almunia and wheeled off like somebody who had no idea how to celebrate a goal since he scores so few.

Almost immediately Arsene threw Theo on for Sagna. It made a massive impact on the game. Not. Theo barely got the ball, and couldn't do anything up against the left back and the left midfielder, both left backs really, who doubled up on him. Not sure why he didn't switch flanks.

Then came a substitution that actually did some good; Robin van Persie on for Denilson. The impact, this time, was immediate. Diaby strode forward, dinked it in to Robin. His back to goal, around the edge of the area, he took it on the chest perfectly, and hit a brilliant overhead kick back at goal. Somehow Gomes, who last season was an absolute clown, flew across goal to tip it over the bar.

Then Sol had a header SOMEHOW tipped onto the bar by Gomes. We were getting closer. We went close again, that man van Persie curling a free kick perfectly - he couldn't have got it closer to the top corner, but again it was Gomes flying through the air to tip it around the post.

Finally we got the break through. Robin slid Theo in, and he put it across goal for Bendtner to slide in. 85 minutes, 2-1, game on. But we just couldn't get past what was now their entire team behind the ball; the closest we came was again through Robin van Persie, a 25 yard strike that was fairly routine for Gomes to push away, but as Theo tried to make something of the rebound, we should have gotten a late corner, but the official thought otherwise and we couldn't do anything more.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Sp*rs 2-1 Arsenal

Postby SE13 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Sad, but true.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Gunner Down Under » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:07 am

In wonder how Spurs forums are reacting- I guess 10 match reports on this
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Moscovitus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:10 pm

Campbell 36 + Sylvestre 32 = 68 years. Forever young. Full of potential.
Moscovitus
Michael Thomas

Postby jbuck71 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:16 pm

h
jbuck71
Liam Brady

Postby Rockin' Robin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:28 pm

jbuck71 wrote:h

:clap: Cracking first post mate, I wholeheartedly agree.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Return to Match Reports 09/10