Barcelona 4-1 Arsenal

Barcelona 4-1 Arsenal

Postby SE13 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:25 am

The Gunners have crashed out of The Champions League courtesy of an absolutely brilliant display of Messiness.

There really isn't a lot one can say about the game other than to talk about Lionel Messi who struck four times at The Nou Camp to leave Arsenal with just The Premiership to concentrate on.

Unlike the first leg at Ashburton Grove, the game was at a slower ace from the off. Injuries and suspensions in both camps had left Barcelona without a central defensive partnership, and Arsenal fielding a much weaker side than anyone would have liked. Playing in the Middlesex kit, Arsenal got off to the best possible start with 18 minutes on the clock as Arsenal broke through, Walcott finding Bendtner who scuffed an effort straight at the keeper who spilled, Super Nik was quick to his feet to turn the ball home.

1-0, and ahead on aggregate, just stick together and hold on. One Lionel Messi had other ideas, and virtually became a one man show. The Gunners had another sniff but a misplaced pass put paid to it, enter Messi. Within two minutes the Spaniards were level, Messi got slightly lucky with a 1-2 with Silvestre before smashing the ball past Almunia.

Messi and Xavi were running the show now, Arsenal simply couldn't get into the game, and were further punished just after the half hour mark, a move started and finished by Messi, another unstoppable effort past Almunia having stunned the defence with a two touch display of brilliance.

Arsenal were left shell shocked a few minutes later when Messi was sent through the middle and lobbed Almunia for his hattrick. The Reds went into the break 3-1 behind, 5-3 on aggregate.

The Gunners did attempt to go for it in the second half, Rosicky hammered over the bar, and Bendtner hitting the post, but Messi having the game of his life wrapped up the victory just before the end beating two defenders, then putting the ball beyond reach and into the onion bag.

We could point to a few poor refereeing decisions, but at the end of the day, Arsenal were raped by a rampant Barcelona who now go on to face Inter in the semis.

Next up, we travel to Shit State Lane to face Middlesex, where St. Totteringhams Day could be celebrated with a win.

Disappointed but not downhearted would describe my feelings the morning after as I nurse a hangover. The neutral would have been delighted to have seen that masterclass.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Barcelona 4-1 Arsenal

Postby StLGooner » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:14 pm

Good job Chris, I'm sure that wasn't an easy report to do.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Match Reports 09/10