Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool

Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool

Postby SE13 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:00 am

A fine evening of football with Middlesex losing, C$KA Fulham also losing, ManUre and Vanilla drawing was rounded up nicely with three points against fourth placed Liverpool. The gloom and doomers will have to wait a bit longer as proof that our season hasn't self capitulated came to the fore last night.

There were changes to the side beaten at Stamford Bridge, notably the inclusion of Bendtner to start the game, and what a shift he put in despite being short of match practice and not entirely fit either. Eboue also started, and again put in a decent performance.

I think there might also have been a change in the crowd as well, excellent comeback from them despite my ramblings on this very forum in the last couple of weeks, so whoever was in charge of that move, muchos kudos! Some cracking tunes, and very vocal too, that's the Arsenal I remember.

The first half was a reasonably even matched contest, Arsenal shading it for me, chances for Bendtner and Gallas went over the bar, but on both occasions, Liverpool were torn apart by some breathtaking moves. Arshavin and Nasri also had chances, neither could convert, though Gerrard had a deflected effort at the other end and Maxi went close.

I think the turning point was the switch as Nasri was replaced by Tomas Rosicky just after the half hour, suddenly Arsenal looked a different prospect, but The Gunners couldn't make the all important break through.

Half time and no goals, and somewhat surprisingly, Liverpool had the better of the possession, though we had the better of the chances.

Rosicky started the second half like a determined man, he sent Bendtner clear, and the Dane appeared to be felled in the box, but clocked a booking for diving. Not quite sure which bit of play the referee was watching, because it was stone wall to me. The game became more end to end, chances going astray at both ends. With time marching on, it was looking as though the recent frustrations in front of goal were going to cost again, cue a moment of magic. Bendtner fed Rosicky and for once we saw a brilliant cross (Sagna & Clichy take careful notes) smack on the head of the onrushing Diaby who powered a header past the keeper.

This inspired Liverpool who surged forward winning free kicks just outside the box (surprise surprise) one of which hit the had of Cesc, however despite the protests the referee waved it away. Soon after that incident, much to the relief of the empty seats in the ground, the referee blew for time, and Arsenal had won the game 1-0.

The gap has been closed again, Arsenal are right back in the hunt again, especially knowing that ManUre and C$KA Fulham have to play each other again this season.

In summary, three points, hard earned but three points none the less. A weekend break now before the trip to FC Porto next week in The Champions League. (Yes Liverpool, The Champions League!)

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool

Postby Gunner Down Under » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:29 am

A refreshing result to cap off our horrid results beforehand

Vouching that Chelsea lost and Man United drew we're back in the race!
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Gooner Girl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:23 pm

Good report chris!
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Moscovitus » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:16 pm

CSKA Fulham - LOL!!! If you knew how much i hate CSKA...
Moscovitus
Michael Thomas

Return to Match Reports 09/10