Stoke City 3-1 Arsenal

Stoke City 3-1 Arsenal

Postby Rockin' Robin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:21 pm

Poor performance all round really, only Sol Campbell looked decent in my opinion, which is a good sign. The team Arsene picked was one that would arouse anger amongst Arsenal (I am the alliteration king) fans at the end of the game, although the game could have gone either way, and if we had won then the fans complaining would be praising Arsene.

The team he put out was a mixture of youth and experience, mainly the former, with veterans Mikael Silvestre and Sol Campbell lining up alonside the likes of Francis Coquelin and Craig Eastmond. The bench was similar, with Eduardo, Rosicky, Arshavin and Ramsey the big guns who were ready to come on if needed, and the youngsters like Kyle Bartley and Emmanuel Frimpong who would probably be called upon if we were comfortable.

The game started out horribly - not only did we barely get a touch of the ball to start with, but we were a goal down within 70 seconds. A long throw into the area courtesy of Rory Delap looked to be heading for the hands of Lukaszc Fabianski, but as the Pole waited for the ball to drop into his arms instead of coming for it, Ricardo Fuller stooped in front of him and nodded the ball into the top corner via the crossbar. Not the best of starts by any means...

Most of the rest of the first half was poor from us. Nobody really stood out, with the likes of Jay-Emmanuel Thomas and Francis Coquelin starting quite nervously. Cesc Fabregas wasn't getting the space, or the ball for that matter, enough to dictate the game, and we were playing some pretty pointless stuff. Barely a single opportunity arose until our goal, but Stoke had a good shout for a penalty turned down, when Fuller elected to try and keep his footing after stumbling under a clumsy challenge by Silvestre just inside the area. The referee dismissed it, and if Fuller had gone down it would probably have been given, so fair play to him.

Our goal came just before half time, when Dean Whitehead clearly handled on the left corner of the area. Fathead protested his innocence, claiming the ball struck his chest, though replays showed otherwise. The commentators continued Fathead's moaning, while Cesc tricked Stoke by playing the ball across the box for Denilson to strike first time into the bottom corner, via a deflection or possibly even two, and with that it was 1-1, and soon enough half time.

The second half wasn't much better in our point of view. After a bit of fruitless pressing, Stoke counterattacked down the right wing in a two-on-three situation. Silvestre seemed to stop for a split-second while chasing Sidibe, which allowed him an extra yard or so. He crossed the ball in for Fuller, who'd spun away from Sol, and he nodded in past Fabianski with ease. Good goal to be fair.

Soon it was 3, when Matthew Etherington crossed low for Fathead, who might have been offside, and he tapped in to make it 3. It would have been 4 but for a handball call from the lino, when Tuncay controlled with his hand before firing in. Out of the FA Cup, but at least my Manchester United and Liverpool supporting mates can't give me any stick seeing as they both lost easier games in the 3rd round. However, they still gave me grief today. :doh:
Last edited by Rockin' Robin on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Stoke City 1-3 Arsenal

Postby Gunner Down Under » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:24 pm

One of my Liverpool mates sent me an email saying Haha Arsenal are out

I came up with 8 reasons why that was not so and that he wasn't in a position to make any insults :)

Another great report Sam
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Classy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:08 pm

Good report Sam, I got alot of grief at School aswell. It is just stupid that United fans (the majority of my school- Glory hunters) boast that Arsenal have been knocked out of the Fa Cup against Stoke. But they are the side who got out-played and beaten by a League 1 side, who were playing at Old Trafford with a full strength side. We played a good side, but nowhere near our first team, playing at a tough away ground.

Those fans are so thick and don't know anything about their club. I asked them when was the Munich Air Crash. They told me it was 1950. They told me it was because in 2008 it was the 50th mark of the disaster!!! How stupid could they get.

Us Arsenal fans have class?!?!?!
Classy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Gunner Down Under » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:57 pm

Here's the email he sent me

well you know your team sucks when they get kicked out from the F.A cup by stoke city

hahahahahahahahahhahAhahahahaha

I replied with

You are in NO position to tell me this when.......

Liverpool have rumours that they are going to sell Gerrard and Torres

Liverpool were knocked out in the FA Cup by Reading (Championship side)

Liverpool were knocked out in the 3rd round (1st round for PL teams)

Liverpool were knocked out at Anfield

Liverpool are knocked out of the Champions League

Liverpool have twice (or more) the debt of Arsenal

Meanwhile Arsenal were knocked out on the 4th round, by Stoke (a Premier League side) at Stoke City

And we were playing Aston Villa, Man United, Chelsea and Liverpool in the next few matches. (One Big 4 team after the other)

Dear oh dear.....
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:03 pm

I got ribbed by Man Utd fans, my reply was that we didnt play a full strength team against Stoke, when Manure did against Leeds and at least we scored goals in the FA Cup

Good report, but I didnt know we won 3-1?
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby Rockin' Robin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:04 pm

Crap, I did that the first time I went to write the report too. :lol:
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Stoke City 3-1 Arsenal

Postby Gunner Down Under » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:20 pm

That's funny, your report post said that Stoke won, the title said that Stoke won but the reply sections said that Arsenal won...... ????
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Return to Match Reports 09/10