Arsenal 4 – 2 Bolton

Arsenal 4 – 2 Bolton

Postby Gooner Girl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:01 am

We are top of the league!

Its always an interesting experience watching a match with the opposition fans – I don’t do it regularly but every Bolton home game I sit with my good friend, Mr thebish, in the Bolton end as its easier for us to get tickets together there then with the gooners. In fact, we had a whole row to ourselves – not something you’d ever get in the home section but given this match had been cancelled once (limited edition programmes produced for the game that was snowed off are available for all you programme collecting geeks out there ;) ) it was fairly predictable given the trek down from oop north and the fact it was an evening game that the away fans wouldn’t sell out, even given the excitement over the new manager.

Anyway, there were 2 changes to the Arsenal team from Sunday - Clichy starting his first game back and Denilson playing in place of Eastmond. Seemed odd to be facing Bolton again so soon and I was slightly puzzled as to why Klasnic, probably their most in – form player was dropped to the bench, though perhaps Coyle swapping him for a slightly more defensive player in Mark Davies was a clear sign of their tactics leaving just Kevin Davies up front as a solitary striker.

Klasnic’s omission didn’t seem to affect the away team as they rocketed into a 2 goal lead within half an hour as we were slow off the marks. The first Arsenal chance of the match fell to Diaby who hit the ball tamely at the keeper after a nice 1-2 with Eduardo. Minutes later back up the other end of the pitch after some poor attempted clearances from Arsenal the ball falls to Cahill who puts it away emphatically past Almunia from quite close range. A good finish but weak defending from the Arsenal (Clichy in particular) and a chance for some fat Bolton fans to get their tops off for the cameras (why is it only ever men with huge bellies do this? Ugh!)

The goal startled Arsenal into a bit of life and we dominated possession with Jaaskelainen making a fine save from Fabregas after good work from Arshavin and Eduardo. Almuinia also saved well from a good Taylor free kick before Boltons penalty put them 2-0 up. Denilson clearly fouling Lee and Matty Taylors penalty beating Almunia despite the keeper guessing the right way. The Bolton fans were in fine voice now and showed they had a realistic grasp of their team’s ability singing “we’re shit but we’re beating you!” as yet more fat men stripped off and wobbled their bellies (they’re strange up north!) Kevin Davies then nearly scored an own goal off a Fabregas ball heading just wide of his own post. Arsenal responded with a great goal by Rosicky finishing coolly and sharply after good play from Fabregas in finding the pass, the little midfielder was allowed the time and space by the Bolton defence to get the ball under control before running and finishing well.

Shortly after half time Arsenal score a controversial equalizer, Fabregas finishing very well from a tight angle through the keepers legs but Bolton (justifiably) aggrieved that a very bad late challenge from Gallas on Mark Davies should have led to a free kick. The goal was allowed to stand and sadly Davies was stretchered off with the ref claiming he didn’t see the incident (despite even Arsene Wenger managing to for once!) This put Arsenal back on the front foot and Vermaelen then finished coolly after Diaby headed a corner down in the area

Cohen had a half chance which he scuffed towards the goal for bolton before Arshavin (who had had quite a quiet night) then burst into life and finished the scoring after good work from Eduardo, firing in on his right foot after knocking the ball over from his left to beat the defender. The goal that takes us top of the league - trying to remember last time we were top, seems a while ago.

A few seasons ago I think we would have lost a game like this so signs look promising for the future, granted we had a bit of luck at the turn of the game with the 2nd goal being allowed but Bolton battled hard and this match reporter hopes they stay up, in the past 2 games, despite losing both, they have played well and they have some decent players so it will be interesting to see how far Owen Coyle can take them. Good luck Bolton, all the best to Mark Davies and well done Arsenal - TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!!!!
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: Arsenal 4 – 2 Bolton

Postby SE13 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:36 am

Now on The Blog: http://goonersworld.wordpress.com/2010/ ... he-league/

Good work Helen, thanks.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby UFGN » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:21 pm

lol it must have been interesting in that part of the ground when we equalised. :sneaky:

I was a few blocks across behind the goal in block 24
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby gooner90 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:02 pm

i just wish they'd stop going on about gallas' challenge it wasnt that bad wasnt high and was very close they both went for the ball and it was becuase davies poked it away so his foot went under... No worse than any of Boltons over the 2 legs id say they had more bad challenges, all in all though great game and atmosphere, o and we're top of the league:P
gooner90
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby thebish » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Up For Grabs Now wrote:lol it must have been interesting in that part of the ground when we equalised. :sneaky:

indeed it was - surrounded by thousands of fans cheering the stretcher and waving bye-bye to a badly injured player...

nice report hun - though I am puzzled by your sudden recall of who hit what when! ;)

and - you were soooooooooo turned on by the naked fat-bastards! don't lie!

(Mark Davies is far from defensive BTW)
thebish
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Gooner Girl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:37 pm

thebish wrote:
Up For Grabs Now wrote:lol it must have been interesting in that part of the ground when we equalised. :sneaky:

indeed it was - surrounded by thousands of fans cheering the stretcher and waving bye-bye to a badly injured player...

nice report hun - though I am puzzled by your sudden recall of who hit what when! ;)

I meant more so then Klasnic!

I must confess to watching the highlights before writing the report given we saw most things from about ants eye view.

You got me with the fat bastards, dunno why you wouldn't join them though!
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby thebish » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:

I meant more so then Klasnic!

I must confess to watching the highlights before writing the report given we saw most things from about ants eye view.

You got me with the fat bastards, dunno why you wouldn't join them though!

what happened in the first 6 minutes? it's missing from your report..... ;)
thebish
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Gooner Girl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:05 pm

couldn't see past the fat naked bolton fans ;)
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Git » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:46 am

Good report. =)
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:12 pm