Arsenal 2 - 2 Everton

Arsenal 2 - 2 Everton

Postby singaporegooner » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:07 pm

The first home game of 2010, blizzard like conditions, opportunity to cut the lead at the top to 1 point.

Arsene made six changes from the FA cup tie against West Ham, Jack Wilshere and Alex Song were absent with hamstring injury and national duty respectively. In came Nasri, Diaby, Arshavin, Denilson, Traore and Almunia.

Expectations were high to win the game against the team we hammered 6 – 1 in the start of the season, though the team then and now are slightly different.

Arsenal started slowly, a much different tempo from the usual quick, short passing game we have gotten used to, possibly due to the freezing conditions and slippery surface.

However, the Toffees had came with a game plan and bent on seeking revenge for the hammering earlier.
Everton hustled every Arsenal player on the ball and that successfully disrupted the rhythm of the passing game.

Deservedly, Everton took the lead when a corner swung in by loan signing Landon Donavon found Leon Osman leaping highest to head the ball pass Almunia, with Denilson only managing to divert the ball into the roof of the net.

1 nil to the visitors.

The goal seemed to have stung the Arsenal into action and were quickly on the front foot looking for the equalizer.

The equalizer finally came when a loose ball in the area found its way to Denilson, who blasted home a deflected shot past Tim Howard.

1 all and game on.

2nd half saw the home team pressing for a second goal, however the conditions were getting worse and snow fall was getting thicker.

To add more bite in the bid to get a winning goal, Arsenal sent on Rosicky for Ramsey, a far cry from the performance he put in during the past 2 games.

The visitors were now happy to sit deep and counter whenever the chance appeared.
And the second goal came just like that.

After a missed opportunity in the Everton box, the ball found its way to Tim Cahill who released the ball to Steven Pienaar,who made a lung bursting run from his own box. With Nasri the nearest player trailing him and only Almunia to beat, he chipped the ball over the Arsenal custodian into the net.

2 – 1 to the visitors.

In a bid to battle back, on came Vela for Eduardo, but not before Denilson fell to the ground clutching his rib. Another added to the already lengthy injury list and more importantly, another midfield absentee.

As the clock ran down, the Arsenal fans must be fearing the prospect of losing 3 points in the title race. But the home team had shown great resilience and finally managed to fashion another equalizer, albeit with a large slice of luck.

Deep in stoppage time, Arsenal broke forward and the ball was played forward to Arshavin, who slipped it to Diaby just outside the box. With another touch, Diaby laid the ball to his left and into the box, inviting the on-rushing Rosicky to blast home the shot.
However the shot took a deflection off the covering Lucas Neil, who could only send the ball looping over his sprawling keeper, who in truth, might have had the shot covered.

Nontheless, 2 – 2.

The game ended all square and for both Everton and Arsenal, it is seen as 2 points dropped, as the visitors had every reason to feel that they missed their chance to get a win over the home side.

And for Arsenal, it was a missed chance to cut the lead at the top to a solitary point.

Will we be made to regret the missed chance? We will find out at the end of the season.
Last edited by singaporegooner on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Arsene We Trust!!
Predicitions League 08/09 Winner
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Re: Arsenal 2 - 2 Everton

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Great report mate

Only thing is you make Evertons first goal sound like Donovan crossed it for himself to head.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gzagee » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Nice one SG.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Gunner Down Under » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:50 pm

How many own goals were scored here?

It appears one bounced off Denilson and another off Neill.

Oh well, I predicted Denilson would score first ;)
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby gooner90 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:10 pm

not so bad as man ure draw
gooner90
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby SE13 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:48 am

Nice one, thanks SG

GPS, it was two own goals.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby dunkdafunk » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:12 am

who scored evertons 1st? Donovan?

we have to make sure we get the first goal in every match.
otherwise when were loosing we will have to rely on our match changing players i mean Fabregas, to create a goal out of nothing.
Without a proper holding Dm were more likely to conceed 1st.

Otherwise a point gained?
hope Denilson isnt out for too long, or just long enough for Wenger to get someone in. like with Bendtner and this game altering striker most of us feel we need.
in wenger we trust
dunkdafunk
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby SE13 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:42 am

dunkdafunk wrote:who scored evertons 1st? Donovan?

Leon Osman

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby northerngooner83 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:36 pm

Disappointed to draw, but looking at the game Everton were the better side for most of it and were a bit unlucky not to take all three points. But to play badly and still draw is hopefully a good sign - it took great resilience to keep going
northerngooner83
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby singaporegooner » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:03 am

Opps...edited the post to reflect the scorer of the first goal...
In Arsene We Trust!!
Predicitions League 08/09 Winner
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Git » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:51 am

Nice report mate. =)
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman