Portsmouth 1-4 Arsenal

Portsmouth 1-4 Arsenal

Postby Rockin' Robin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:53 pm

Another great win for us, and it's against a team at a stadium where previously we've struggled - even the Invincibles scraped past Pompey at Fratton Park in similar conditions. And that was with a fairly complete team; on Wednesday we were without Theo Walcott, Cesc Fabregas, Robin van Persie, Gael Clichy, Kieran Gibbs... but still we comprehensively beat Portsmouth by four goals to one, thanks to goals from Eduardo, although it took a big deflection, Samir Nasri, Aaron Ramsey and Alexandre Song, who's quickly becoming a terrace favourite here at Arsenal.

We started off pretty decently, but it was the home team who created the first real opportunity, when Song slipped on the wet pitch, giving the ball to Kevin-Prince Boateng, who had the chance to spring clear of our defence. But he took it too wide, and although he got a decent shot away, Almunia turned it around the post with relative ease.

Arshavin had an effort from range zoom over the bar, and Eduardo glanced a header wide, before the latter pulled the ball back for Abou Diaby, who hit a powerful first time shot with his instep, only to see Asmir Begovic tip the ball round the post for a corner. It was a good reflex save to be fair. But then Aaron Ramsey was fouled 25 yards, a bit to the right of the centre, and Eduardo took the free kick. It was a terrible strike that luckily deflected off of Younes Kaboul in the wall, and Herman Hreidarrsonn on the post decided to leave it, thinking it was going past the post. It didn't, and we were 1-0 up.

About ten minutes later, Song played a great high ball into Eduardo inside the area, who was given time to make some tea and sit down and think about who to pass to by the Portsmouth defenders. He rolled it across to Ramsey, who flicked it neatly into Nasri's path, and after delaying for a second, Nasri drilled it into the bottom left corner, 2-0.

In the second half Portsmouth again failed to threaten, but it took us until 70 minutes to fashion a proper opportunity, which Ramsey did all by himself. He nicked the ball from a Portsmouth midfielder, completely skinned another before slamming a beautiful left foot shot into the corner, an excellent goal for the youngster, who's coming on well this season.

Portsmouth pulled it back to 3-1, when Bellhead played a one-two with Anthony van den Borre to score via a deflection off of Thomas Vermaelen. Our fourth and final goal came after Song had attempted, and nearly succeeded in doing, an outraegeous bit of skill on the edge of Portsmouth's area, the ball was half cleared to Nasri, who bided his time before picking Song out unmarked, and he scored a beautiful header into the top corner - it was even better because the ball was actually behind him!

A good win for the Arsenal, without a lot of key players - although Tomas Rosicky did come on for about 15 minutes. Walcott and Cesc are out for 9-11 days, and van Persie obviously still out for most of the season. Not sure about Bendtner though, but let's hope he's back soon.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Portsmouth 1-4 Arsenal

Postby Git » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:58 pm

Nice report mate. =)
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby SE13 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:05 pm

Cheers Sam :)

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Joncheff » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:31 am

Nice report. Im sorry but Ive had enough of walcott. he should be sold asap. Hes either injured or struggling to get in form. Im quiet tolerant with players and willing to give them a go (even diaby), but I dont think he has much to offer the club.
Joncheff
Patrick Vieira

Postby Libertine » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:31 pm

Good work MG. :arsesmile:

although....
The Midfield General wrote:Another great win for us, and it's against a team at a stadium where previously we've struggled

we haven't lost at Pompey since 1958. ;)
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:49 pm

Libertine wrote:Good work MG. :arsesmile:

although....
The Midfield General wrote:Another great win for us, and it's against a team at a stadium where previously we've struggled

Blimey guv, that was before even you were born Image

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Rockin' Robin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:25 pm

although....

Cheers, I said struggled because we've drawn there nearly just as many times as we've won, and in this decade I can remember a few 1-1 draws/1-0 victories that haven't been too convincing - for a club of our stature you'd expect nothing less than a win, so a draw there isn't a very good result! :lol:
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Popey » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:27 pm

I missed that game so thanks :arsesmile:

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Gunner Down Under » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:11 pm

The Midfield General wrote:

although....

Cheers, I said struggled because we've drawn there nearly just as many times as we've won, and in this decade I can remember a few 1-1 draws/1-0 victories that haven't been too convincing - for a club of our stature you'd expect nothing less than a win, so a draw there isn't a very good result! :lol:

Well they did win the FA Cup :lol:
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Return to Match Reports 09/10