AZ no match for Arsenal this time around

AZ no match for Arsenal this time around

Postby Gunner Down Under » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:48 am

AZ were no match for the Gunners today, losing 4-1, with Fabregas scoring 2, Diaby and Nasri, newly back from injury.

With Clichy out injured Gibbs came in, and Nasri started ahead of Rosicky and Sagna was brought off in favour of Eboue.
The win was soured by a Lens shot late into the game, that somehow got past Almunia.

Arsenal were doing well to excite the home fans early in the first half, with a Van Persie right footer just sweeping past the far post. An early scare for AZ, but a sign of things to come.

Plenty of blocked attempts came, Nasri showing his intentions, until in the 26th minute Fabregas hit a shot, that somehow beat the keeper, coming just outside the box. I don't think he dived enough, and the ball touched his hand and went in. 1-0, full of form and looking for more.

Martens' weak effort was saved comfortably, and Arsenal replied with Gibbs' cross coming onto Fabregas' head, the shot coming just over the bar, just past the half hour mark.

Nasri scored just before half time, collecting a pass from Arshavin, and completely tricking out Monero, and ran for the goal. He was chased by two AZ defenders but it wasn't enough, 2-0 at half time.

It didn't look like ending 2-0, and I was well right. The next shot that come in was from Fabregas, and scored off it. This shot was reminiscent of Merida's shot against Liverpool, curling out of the keeper's reach, and into the top left corner before anyone knew what had happened. He waited his chance, and timed his shot to perfection. It's like one of those goals you could see over and over again.
Fabregas is looking more and more dangerous in front of goal and he knows it. Game over at minute 52, basically. AZ were weak everywhere, and it still looked like there would be more.

Then came a barrage of AZ shots, the closest being Pelle, that hit the crossbar, bouncing down but out of anyone's reach. They were looking for a goal that would add respectibility to the scoreboard, and that goal would come later, after we scored again.
But first, Gibbs came very close to scoring, around the position in which Fabregas scored his first shot from. This time though, the keeper got down to it, and the shot just went wide.

Full credit to Diaby for making the run, and collecting the through pass from Arshavin. You can't miss from that range, and he didn't, this time opposing Fabregas' near post shot and going far.
Wenger knew the game was up, substituting Fabregas for Ramsey, Van Persie for Eduardo, and later Arshavin for Rosicky.
Ramsey had a shot that was never really going to go in, and Lens hit a shot that somehow beat Almunia from their clever break.

But that was a small blemish in the Arsenal performance today, capping off a good win. Next is against Wolves in the Premier League.
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Re: AZ no match for Arsenal this time around

Postby Rockin' Robin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:33 am

Good report mate. :)
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Gunner Down Under » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:24 am

Well, I saw no one wanted to do it, I wondered- why not?
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby SE13 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:58 am

Nice one, thanks for doing it.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Return to Match Reports 09/10