What have been the tactical lessons of World Cup 2010?

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:53 am

Inchpractice wrote:It's funny because as soon as I read the thread title I immediately thought of the 'two DMs' formation.
Said it many times on here but the success of that system has been well proven in the past and the WC only emphasises that even more.
Personally I'd be very happy to adopt that system at Arsenal and actually if it worked we would probably be better at it than most because we use attacking wing backs.

It doesn't mean the end of attacking football imo it only secures the midfield a bit more than it is now.
Last season we scored billions of goals but got nowhere, maybe it's better to score fewer goals but keep a clean sheet?

I still think if the argies had brought cambiasso and played him alongside mascherano in in front of their back four they'd have won the tournament.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Re: What have been the tactical lessons of World Cup 2010?

Postby Siete » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:48 am

With Maradona still at the helm? Doubt it.
Siete
Michael Thomas

Postby Massa » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:12 pm

Two DM's ftw:

Song NewPlayer
Fabregas
Chamakh Van Persie Arshavin

It doesn't even have to be a DM, a box to box beast like De Rossi or Essien would suffice.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:18 pm

Jay22 wrote:I think we will do well with a box to box CM playing alongside Song rather than a pure DM. Inler would be great for that role or De Rossi, as Massa said.

Exactly. We missed out on Alonso which I'm still pissed about, De Rossi isn't feasible - he'd never come here, but Inler is and I just wish and hope that Wenger sees this deficiency before it's too late. Not a bad role model for Lansbury either eh

Massa wrote:It doesn't even have to be a DM, a box to box beast like De Rossi or Essien would suffice.

It would be preferable to have a box-to-box player, not just conveniant. You only need one destroyer like Song or Macherano to break up play. The best 3 man midfields are always a destroyer, a playmaker and a box-to-box powerhouse to link the team together.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby golfinguy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:20 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:
Jay22 wrote:I think we will do well with a box to box CM playing alongside Song rather than a pure DM. Inler would be great for that role or De Rossi, as Massa said.

Exactly. We missed out on Alonso which I'm still pissed about, De Rossi isn't feasible - he'd never come here, but Inler is and I just wish and hope that Wenger sees this deficiency before it's too late. Not a bad role model for Lansbury either eh

Massa wrote:It doesn't even have to be a DM, a box to box beast like De Rossi or Essien would suffice.

It would be preferable to have a box-to-box player, not just conveniant. You only need one destroyer like Song or Macherano to break up play. The best 3 man midfields are always a destroyer, a playmaker and a box-to-box powerhouse to link the team together.

I was upset we didn't get Alonso as well - would have been perfect.

But I'm of the opinion, and have been for a while, that Nasri could still fill that role. I know it had inconsistent results when tried the past season, but it was never really given many games to come together either. He's not really the 'powerhouse' you're talking about, but he is very strong on the ball for a small guy. Very good in possession, and a little bit of a temper to get stuck in when he's in the mood.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:32 pm

I disagree, a Cesc-Song-Nasri midfield would get completely outmuscled and over run in the PL. It would probably work in the CL depending on the opponent, where the midfield becomes much more of a technical battle.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:42 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:I disagree, a Cesc-Song-Nasri midfield would get completely outmuscled and over run in the PL. It would probably work in the CL depending on the opponent, where the midfield becomes much more of a technical battle.

Totally agree with Cyn
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby golfinguy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:I disagree, a Cesc-Song-Nasri midfield would get completely outmuscled and over run in the PL. It would probably work in the CL depending on the opponent, where the midfield becomes much more of a technical battle.

Totally agree with Cyn

Watch Nasri more closely - he rarely ever gets muscled off the ball even when facing guys much larger than him. When it comes to keeping the ball, he's 6' and muscular :smartass:
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:18 pm

We haven't seen a Song - Cesc - Nasri midfield so how do you know it would get outmuscled?

Our midfield wasn't getting outmuscled when we had Fabregas and Flamini at the heart of it, was it? And Flamini is even smaller stature wise than Nasri is.

Barcelona don't have this box to box powerhouse, they have one destroyer and two small technical players, last time i looked, Nasri and Fabregas were bigger and stronger than Xavi and Iniesta...

And they both beat Man Utd and Chelsea convincingly...

Our problem is not muscle in midfield, it is work rate, Nasri is a strong player and a good tackler, it is why he was once considered for the DM position, he cannot do that because he doesn't have the defensive capability and is too attack minded.

What our players need to work on is getting the ball back asap, that is what Barcelona do, Spain do, no matter what opponents you face, if you have the ball they can't do fuckall.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Dejan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Tbh, I want a Song-Cesc-Nasri midfield more then anything.
Goodpoint GunnGunn
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby mg86 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:56 pm

The world cup has confirmed two things for me. 1. It showed which of the world class players we've been watching in the CL and the leagues really are class, and 2. confirmed some of the national team coaches are shit.

Dejan wrote:Tbh, I want a Song-Cesc-Nasri midfield more then anything.
Goodpoint GunnGunn

Agree, nasri and cesc are a deadly pairing. I still think to that nasri chip, cesc tap in :hail: :hail: :hail:
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Previous

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010