Howard web to ref the final

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Re: Howard web to ref the final

Postby SE13 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:39 am

HOWARD WEBB’S wife is amazed he’s been handed control of the world’s biggest football match – because he can’t control his own children at home!

The 38-year-old from Rotherham will take charge of tomorrow’s final between Spain and Holland along with his assistants Darren Cann and Mike Mullarkey.

But Webb’s wife Kay, mum of Holly, Jack and Lucy, confessed yesterday: “I don’t know how he does it. He can’t take charge of his own children. I don’t know how he manages it on a football pitch.”

Webb is currently on a five-year break from South Yorkshire Police where he is a sergeant. He is the first person to have refereed both the Champions League/European Cup and World Cup finals in the same year and the first Englishman to take charge of the big game since Jack Taylor in 1974.

Webb refereed his first game at 19 and dad Billy revealed he had encouraged his son to give up after watching him take charge.

Billy Webb, a ref himself for 35 years, added: “It’s in my blood. I encouraged my son to take it up.

“I encouraged him to take his first game, but when I watched his first game, I encouraged him to pack up! My brother was with me at the time. He was a referee and he said, ‘I can see something in this young lad’.

“History has proven him right and me wrong.

“The whole thing is jaw- dropping. I just can’t imagine my son reffing the World Cup Final.”

Webb’s mum Sylvia admits she finds it tough when he gets stick for his handling of a game.

“I don’t like it if anybody puts him down, obviously, as a mum. I don’t like to hear it,” she said.

But Premier League referees’ chief Mike Riley said: “The appointment is fantastic recognition for English refereeing and should act as an inspiration for all young referees.”

© Daily Star

:rofll:

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Briggsy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:42 am

Fergies Rent boy!!!
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby tkmullan » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:27 pm

don't like him in the PL, but credit where it's due, he's done well in the world cup so far. I seem to remember him having a decent game in the CL final too.
tkmullan
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby ProudGooner » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:01 am

He was shocking today. It was like a jungle out there on the pitch because Howard Webb lost control. Seemed too biased towards Spain to me. Every time a spanish player raised their hands or went down a free kick was given.

On the other hand Robben tried to stay on his feet for that chance and didnt dive. As a result he got nothing. Then we complain players dive. Referee's dont give them anything unless they dive.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Q8 Gooner » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:33 am

He had a few major decisions wrong which went in spain's favor.. But its ok we can still call it misjudgment.. But the really annoying thing there was for me the way he rightly was showing yellow cards for bad challenges specially from Holland..!! While he doesn't do the same in the premier league..!! Arsenal get fouled even more.. and we get tackled worse.. and when he is refereeing he doesn't show the same yellow cards..!! w***er..!!
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ProudGooner » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:01 am

A lot of people will say it was a difficult game to referee. Actually, I dont believe that is the complete story. Yes finals are difficult games especially a world cup final but it became so difficult because Howard Webb made it difficult for himself.

He bottled a lot of key decisions. The game turned into a street fight or a jungle because there didnt seem to be any order. The ref totally lost control of the game and the reason for that was Howard Webb.

He was inconsistent and that was the root of the problem.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:43 pm

I thought he did ok under the circumstances. Holland came out to play rough and make it hard for Spain to play their game, and they paid for it. Yes Spain has a bunch of divers, but what teams doesn't these days? He missed a few calls, but if he hadn't given out so many yellows then where would have the game gone then. He tried to control it, but it was both sets of players that ruined the game, not the ref. That's my opinion anyway.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby whee » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:50 pm

Holland are lucky they didn't end up with 3 sent off, I don't know how they can complain about anything.

Webb made one genuine mistake in the whole game, and that was the corner which he gave as a goal kick.

The Dutch created enough chances to win that game, and gave enough away to lose it - none of which were the referee's fault.

The 'free-kick that never was' in the lead up to the goal happened 8 yards from the byline - The Dutch touched the ball 3 times before it went into their net, each time they gave it back to a Spaniard - that's not Webb's fault.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:07 pm

Webb had a decent game imo, he obviously was trying to limit the cards but Holland didn't make it easy for him. As whee said he could have sent off more than one Dutch player but he tried to keep the reds in his pocket. Saying that, Iniesta got one player sent off and another booked not long before scored the winner. Webb got sucked in by Spains diving but so did most refs so I wont hold that against him.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby IMF » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:35 pm

I thought he fell for dives far too easily and missed some blatant fouls. Missing the corner from the Dutch free kick was a huge miss though.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby ProudGooner » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:35 pm

The decisions Howard Web got wrong:

Djong should have been sent off for that tackle
Van Bommel should have had 2 yellows in the first half alone
Iniesta should have been booked for a couple of tackles especially for retaliating to Van Bommel
Puyol should have been sent off for that incident when Robben was clean through on goal
Heitenga shouldnt have got the first yellow for that foul on Villa. A foul Howard Webb did not see and only gave a yellow because of Villa's reaction.
Heitenga should definately have not got a second yellow for the tackle on Iniesta. He put his hand on Iniesta's shoulder for a split second and Iniesta went down like someone had shot him in the head.
He missed a clear corner for Holland
Considering the type of free kicks Spain were getting "on-demand" every time they went down the foul on Elia was definately a free kick.
There were maybe another 3-4 fouls for which Van Bommel deserved a second yellow.
Gio was booked unfairly. It was a foul but not a booking in my opinion (this one is down to opinions)
Xavi should have been booked for asking the ref to book someone by waving an imaginary card. Webb saw this and told Xavi off but if he saw it then its a yellow card isnt it?

These are some of the decisions he got wrong. There were a lot more which were mainly to do with spanish players falling down and getting free kicks whenever they wanted.

The fact that the atmosphere out there on the pitch resembled something like the atmosphere in the arena when gladiators use to fight says all you need to know about how well the referee handled the situation. It was like a jungle out there.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:41 pm

Have to STRONGLY disagree with the Robben/Puyol incident PG. They were battling for the ball Puyol may have put his hand on him but not really enough to do anything. Robben to his credit (and my amazement) didn't drop as if shot, but after he stayed on his feet then didn't get a shot away he has NO grounds to start moaning.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:56 pm

ProudGooner wrote:The decisions Howard Web got wrong:

Djong should have been sent off for that tackle
Van Bommel should have had 2 yellows in the first half alone
Iniesta should have been booked for a couple of tackles especially for retaliating to Van Bommel
Puyol should have been sent off for that incident when Robben was clean through on goal
Heitenga shouldnt have got the first yellow for that foul on Villa. A foul Howard Webb did not see and only gave a yellow because of Villa's reaction.
Heitenga should definately have not got a second yellow for the tackle on Iniesta. He put his hand on Iniesta's shoulder for a split second and Iniesta went down like someone had shot him in the head.
He missed a clear corner for Holland
Considering the type of free kicks Spain were getting "on-demand" every time they went down the foul on Elia was definately a free kick.
There were maybe another 3-4 fouls for which Van Bommel deserved a second yellow.
Gio was booked unfairly. It was a foul but not a booking in my opinion (this one is down to opinions)
Xavi should have been booked for asking the ref to book someone by waving an imaginary card. Webb saw this and told Xavi off but if he saw it then its a yellow card isnt it?

These are some of the decisions he got wrong. There were a lot more which were mainly to do with spanish players falling down and getting free kicks whenever they wanted.

The fact that the atmosphere out there on the pitch resembled something like the atmosphere in the arena when gladiators use to fight says all you need to know about how well the referee handled the situation. It was like a jungle out there.

Whilst most of that is probably correct. If he'd acted on all that it would've been a 5-a-side game by half time!
It's a delicate balance between giving players the punishment they deserve and ruining the game because of too few players left on the pitch.

Personally I think there should be a slight rule change.
14 yellow cards were shown in this game and that's crazy. Mainly because the Dutch deliberately came out to rough up the Spanish as part of their game plan.
So I think the team should take responsibility for their collective behaviour. If a team gets five yellow cards in a single game, whoever gets the fifth one goes off.
That way when a team are on four yellows as a team they have to behave themselves for the rest of the game or they'll be down to ten men.

Otherwise you get what happened yesterday which is every Dutch player happy to pick up a yellow as long as they didn't already have one.
It would also stop teams like Stoke/Blackburn coming to Arsenal and giving it the brutal treatment just because they think we don't like it.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:06 pm

He knew how Holland, partcularly Van Bommel, was going about their business. Even though the pundits were saying that a Van Bommel yellow in the first half would ruin the game, I disagree. He should have stamped his authority on things, Van Bommels first bad challenge was worthy of a yellow, and if it was given, it would have prevented many others. One thing I dont think he would ever have addressed, even if he remembered his Specsaver glasses, was show a bit of savvy on the dives. He was clueless and conned easliy!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Artemis8 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:25 pm

IMF wrote:I thought he fell for dives far too easily and missed some blatant fouls. Missing the corner from the Dutch free kick was a huge miss though.

Couldn't agree more. It did feel like he wasn't in total control.
Artemis8

PreviousNext

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010