Howard web to ref the final

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Howard web to ref the final

Postby Artemis8 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Just said on BBC news that Howard Web's got the job to ref the final. At least one English man will be there. I cant help think it a gimmick by FIFA to keep the English sweet after that goal line issue. Although im guessing he does ref most of the players from both teams, so its probably a good idea.
Artemis8

Re: Howard web to ref the final

Postby IMF » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:33 pm

So manure do have a player in the final then...
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby SE13 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:37 pm

He's probably been the best over there anyway, and I think he deserves the honour.

From memory, I think it's the first time we've had an English referee for the final.

Just a point of order though, even though they weren't there, why were there no Scottish refs there? It's not as though they don't have to officiate some of the roughest derby games around or anything, after all Hibs/Hearts and Rangers/Celtic love each other.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Dejan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:38 pm

Yeah was to be expected. Best refferee over there
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:40 pm

SE13 wrote:He's probably been the best over there anyway, and I think he deserves the honour.

From memory, I think it's the first time we've had an English referee for the final.

Just a point of order though, even though they weren't there, why were there no Scottish refs there? It's not as though they don't have to officiate some of the roughest derby games around or anything, after all Hibs/Hearts and Rangers/Celtic love each other.

Weren't allowed to bring their sheep? :dontknow:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:58 pm

He's been one of the better refs there but that just shows how dreadful the standard has been.

He did have one real stinker of a game though where he may as well have been playing for Brazil when they played Chile
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby mg86 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Wow, that sucks for Netherlands and Spain.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby SE13 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:19 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
SE13 wrote:He's probably been the best over there anyway, and I think he deserves the honour.

Weren't allowed to bring their sheep? :dontknow:

Harsh! The Scots would be up in arms if I said that!

The core truth is that's it's haggis season, the left handed ones are first out and are worth a bleedin' fortune. That said, an early July sighting of a right handed one is worth a fortune too, but you have to date stamp any pictures. R/H haggis are rife right through until late September, and it's easy pickings, so if you catch one, put a newspaper from the day under them to record the true date.

L/H Haggis is worth almost double R/H as it's far more tender, and cooks in half the time, and is most excellent for breakfast when served with black and white pudding, eggs, bacon and square sausage. :eat:

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Est83 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:40 pm

They just had some guy on SSN via telephone. Can't remember his name now, but he was the last English ref to officiate a World Cup final in 1974.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Libertine » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:31 pm

Jack Taylor refereed the 1974 final between West Germany and Holland.

He was the first referee to award a penalty in a final and he ended up awarding two.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby TheLittleMozart » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:16 pm

Most of the scottish ref's are terrible mate... Only Hugh Dallas has ever been a standout scottish ref, who managed a quarter final game in a world cup if memeroy serves me right.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Briggsy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:34 pm

Didn't Jack Taylor also blow up just as someone shot on his final whistle the ball sizzled into the net! No goal and plenty of arguements lol Howard Webb is shocking we might of as well had Charlottes webb
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Libertine » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Briggsy wrote:Didn't Jack Taylor also blow up just as someone shot on his final whistle the ball sizzled into the net! No goal and plenty of arguements

That was the Welsh ref Clive Thomas at the 1978 World Cup.
He allowed Brazil to take a corner (which they headed in) but blew the whistle while the ball was in the air.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby robblps » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:30 pm

I asked Robbie Savage what he thought of it on Twitter. As Savage is now doing the 606 phone in on saturday nights.

Robblps @RobbieSavage8 What you think of Webb being given the final then ? Ive heard lots of rants about him on 606 throughout the last year.

RobbieSavage8 @Robblps great good luck to him just proves how rubbish graham poll was . He was the worst ref ever in my opinion Webb is very very good
robblps
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Libertine wrote:
Briggsy wrote:Didn't Jack Taylor also blow up just as someone shot on his final whistle the ball sizzled into the net! No goal and plenty of arguements

That was the Welsh ref Clive Thomas at the 1978 World Cup.
He allowed Brazil to take a corner (which they headed in) but blew the whistle while the ball was in the air.

I remember seeing that on 'Phoenix from the flames' on Fantasy football. Was hilarious to watch but I can imagine the anger if it happened to your team.

Although didn't the Brazilians mess about taking their time with the corner after it was given?
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Next

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010