World Cup Final | 11/07/10

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Re: World Cup Final | 11/07/10

Postby Leody » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:10 pm

Jay22 wrote:I agree with that assesment. Spain were worthy winners in the end.

I would say "most" worthy. The way most of the teams played in the WC was less than desirable and the two in the final should have been much more entertaining.

Spain only scored 8 goals in the entire tournament for crying out loud...

1-0 1-0 1-0 1-0 zzzzzzzzzzz
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ProudGooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:55 pm

I find this criteria of "worthy" a bit strange. The criteria seems to be based on how much the team tried to play football and how much they tried to keep the ball on the ground.

If you go by this criteria then the team most worthy of winning the world cup is Chile. For me their attitude was the best and they tried to play football non-stop. There was no laziness in their game and no slowness. For 90 minutes they ran up and down trying to score goals. They hardly dived and were never rough in their tackles.

Spain on the other hand try to pass it around but their build up is slow and patient and especially when they go ahead they slow the game down completely and start passing it back and forward just to keep hold of posession.

You could put a case for both Holland and Spain deserving to win the World Cup but the sad fact is that in the end the difference came down to bad refereeing decisions.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Leody » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:06 pm

I've said it about a bazillion times and I will never change my opinion...

The "everybody does it" makes no difference what-so-ever in my mind. And Spain certainly did it at a very high rate, much higher than most any team in the tournament.

Spain were very boring to watch in my opinion. I'm not going to lie, I fell asleep during the end of the first half of the final... And the way they played made it hard for the opposition to play entertaining football. Yes they were very good at the way they played and the tactics they employed were very strong. This team was not as good as Barcelona if you ask me. The creativity in attack was very lacking.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:15 pm

Dont forget, every team(except portugal maybe) Spain played at digged with 11 players on own half because they were scared. Thats make it very hard to score and play good football.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:17 pm

Dejan wrote:Dont forget, every team(except portugal maybe) Spain played at digged with 11 players on own half because they were scared. Thats make it very hard to score and play good football.

Exactly!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:21 pm

Spain were worse in the cheating department in previous matches but they were still bad in the final and Webb should have booked loads of their players for card goading.

All in all this Spain team is my least favourite world champions in my lifetime which is strange as I was a big fan of them when they won the Euro's. Since then Spain and it is fair to say Barca have dropped all their sportsmanlike integrity.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:33 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:Spain were worse in the cheating department in previous matches but they were still bad in the final and Webb should have booked loads of their players for card goading.

All in all this Spain team is my least favourite world champions in my lifetime which is strange as I was a big fan of them when they won the Euro's. Since then Spain and it is fair to say Barca have dropped all their sportsmanlike integrity.

Watching Barcelona play Inter in the CL this year made me cringe... they were completely disgraceful in that match.

Spain was unsportsmanlike, but nothing close to that level.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby freddybhoy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:38 pm

Leody wrote:
Jay22 wrote:I agree with that assesment. Spain were worthy winners in the end.

I would say "most" worthy. The way most of the teams played in the WC was less than desirable and the two in the final should have been much more entertaining.

Spain only scored 8 goals in the entire tournament for crying out loud...

1-0 1-0 1-0 1-0 zzzzzzzzzzz
I take it you weren't complaining when Arsenal achieved success in similiar fashion under George Graham??

What's good for the goose........
ONE VOICE, ONE LOVE, ONE FAITH, ONE CELTIC
freddybhoy
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:43 pm

Don't we know it Jay.

I don't think the football they played was that bad at all, if Torres was his normal self then I am sure they would have scored more goals. It was down to Villa and their midfield are not known for their goals.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:44 pm

Jay22 wrote:I still don't understand why would anyone think Spain were not good.
There is more to their game than just scoring a tons of goals. This Spain team was very different than the one which played in Euro'08.

I think they were the same team, but other teams played them differently this time. Way too much respect was given, but they still found a way to win, even if it was boring for the most part, which alot of Gooners want Arsenal to do ironically.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Est83 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:46 pm

Jay22 wrote:I still don't understand why would anyone think Spain were not good.
There is more to their game than just scoring a tons of goals. This Spain team was very different than the one which played in Euro'08.

They were good, very good. They were just a little scummy as well. They were the best footballing team in the competition, but who likes to see diving?

I don't really buy into the lack of scoring as a reason for disliking them though, or them not being worthy. Other teams know how good Spain are, so many teams did what teams do to us, throw everyone behind the ball! Would have been nice to see Spain against Argentina.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Leody » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Jay... I don't understand why you think he is saying Spain were the only divers.

Nobody has said that as a matter of fact. They were probably the worst offenders though.

And as I've said before, I will never excuse bad behavior just because others do it as well. Would you let your kids smoke weed and drink underage just because all of their friends are doing it?
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Spanish players in general for the most part are divers imo. Yes even our beloved Cesc.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Est83 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:01 pm

It certainly seems that they've taken over the Italians as the experts.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby ProudGooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Spain to me are a clone of Barcelona. The style is identical some of the personnel is different. They also dive and intimidate the referee the same was as Barca do. I honestly found them extremely boring to watch. Messi is the reason why Barcelona are more entertaining otherwise they would be as boring as Spain.

Arsenal, for me, are by far the most entertaining football team to watch. They move the ball much quicker which leaves them open defensively. Spain and Barca on the other hand are the best in keeping hold of posession but that is mainly because they keep the game slow and they are more indirect than us.

If you want to talk about offensive side of the game then Chile and Brazil were by far the best two teams in the world cup (Chile being weak in finishing off the tonns of chances they created almost against every team).

What Spain and Barca are good at is what they do when they dont have the ball. They close you down within seconds and they close you down in numbers. They try to get the ball as soon as possible and they press you very high up the pitch. Teams did not put 11 men in their own half and defend against Spain (not all of them) but Spain pressed them so hard that they were camped in their own half and could not get out. It was like Arsenal V Barca. We never defend with 11 players but Barca pressed us so hard we could not get out of our own half.

This is the strength of Barca and Spain. The reason I find their games boring is because it becomes very one sided. Spain have all the ball and they do not allow the other team much posession of the ball. So the chances of getting entertainment value from the other team are slim and spain just take their time in passing it around.

I prefer to watch a team like Germany who moved the ball quick and they were direct. Everytime they attacked you thought something will happen.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010