World Cup Final | 11/07/10

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Re: World Cup Final | 11/07/10

Postby Gunflash » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:18 pm

freddybhoy wrote:
Leody wrote:
Jay22 wrote:I agree with that assesment. Spain were worthy winners in the end.

I would say "most" worthy. The way most of the teams played in the WC was less than desirable and the two in the final should have been much more entertaining.

Spain only scored 8 goals in the entire tournament for crying out loud...

1-0 1-0 1-0 1-0 zzzzzzzzzzz
I take it you weren't complaining when Arsenal achieved success in similiar fashion under George Graham??

What's good for the goose

But nobody was going around proclaiming George Graham's Arsenal as the Second Coming of football.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Massa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Did anyone see BBC's top 10 WC2010 goals? None of Forlan's made the cut :shock:
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby ProudGooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:42 pm

Well, to be fair most of the forlan goals were examples of bad goal keeping in my opinion.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:48 pm

I'll agree with that, everyone creamed over his free kick, but I thought it should've been saved.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Massa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:49 pm

What about his ultra sexy volley in the 3/4th place play-off
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:50 pm

Massa wrote:What about his ultra sexy volley in the 3/4th place play-off

It would've been sexier if it didn't get slammed into the ground first. ;)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Massa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:53 pm

I think that added to the sexyness
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Massa wrote:I think that added to the sexyness

So you like when balls bounce huh? ;)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Massa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:57 pm

Bravo :clap: :hail:
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:14 pm

freddybhoy wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:
freddybhoy wrote:Congratulations Spain! Although they were far from their best, they continued to try and play football in the face of "bone jarring thuggery" from the Dutch. Van Bommell and De Jong should have had first use of the carbolic for their assaults on Iniesta and Alonso respectively. Holland were much revered for their total football in the seventies. Reviled would be a better description for this lot in 2010! Although judging by some of the posts in this thread, it would appear that "blood and snotters" football is prefered over flair and style. Ironic, given the serious injuries received by a number of Arsenal players in the Premiership over the last couple of seasons. :dontknow:

Sounds like you listened to the game on radio or something rather than watching it to be honest mate. The commentators (and Webb) made a meal out of every 50/50 challenge and they all went Spains way. Spain players dived and play-acted all game. Holland only really committed 2 bad tackles all game, this talk that they shoulda been down to 9 men at half time is lunacy in the extreme. Spain should have had a player sent off too and committed their fair share of fouls.

This has been a tragedy for football, play acting is being rewarded more and more and it gives the impetus to teams like Spain and Barcelona who clearly teach gamesmanship from an early age.
Sorry to disappoint you CG. I did watch the game and the only tragedy for football would've been a Dutch victory. I certainly didn't witness any play acting from the Spaniards "all game" as you put it. They're certainly no angels in the simulation department, who is? But for some people to call them disgusting is way over the top. Holland went out to intimidate them from the first whistle and very nearly succeeded. If Webb had done his job properly they would have been reduced to nine men. So to say that is "lunacy in the extreme" is disingenuous at best. How would you feel if those challenges had been committed against Arsenal players in the Premiership?

I certainly was all game, from the first minute to the last of extra time. De Jong's karate kick aside which should have been a straight red, none of them were particularly bad tackles at all, the Spanish are just masters at conning the ref and buying yellows for the other team and I think it's rather sad people can't see it. Arsenal get lumps kicked out of them week-in, week-out and this was NOTHING of the sort. The hypocrisy kills me

Spain cheated Chile and Portugal just to be in this final lest you not forget. Worthy winners? Hilarious.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ProudGooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:14 pm

I thought Brazil were going to win the world cup until somehow Holland managed to beat them. I really dont think Spain would have beaten Brazil.

Spain won the world cup and good on them but I dont think we can clearly say they were the best team in the competition. I think at times they were lucky. To be honest they were in deep danger of not even getting out of their group stage when Chile had them on the rack.

It would be interesting to see how many players Spain got sent off and booked. I am sure it must be the most. They even got a Chillean player sent off didnt they? And I did not see a bad bone in any of the Chile players.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ProudGooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:25 pm

I just did some quick research.

In 7 games spain managed to get 24 yellow cards for their opposition and 3 red cards. They got 8 yellow cards and 0 red for themselves.

That is an average of 3.5 yellow cards per game and just over 1 card per game for spain themselves (considering 5 of those came in the final alone 1 was for a celebration).

Now is it just me that thinks there is more to it then teams just trying to rough up Spain? I lost count on how many times I saw a spanish player getting slightly fouled and then asking the referee to book the player.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Siete » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:30 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:I certainly was all game, from the first minute to the last of extra time. De Jong's karate kick aside which should have been a straight red, none of them were particularly bad tackles at all, the Spanish are just masters at conning the ref and buying yellows for the other team and I think it's rather sad people can't see it. Arsenal get lumps kicked out of them week-in, week-out and this was NOTHING of the sort. The hypocrisy kills me

Don't know man, Spaniards play acted the fouls, but some of those Dutch tackles were plain nasty, if not downright criminal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da7nnt_oFN0

And even in trying to con Webb, the Dutch were actually worse than th Spanish players: I count two Robben dives, Sneijder diving after HIM commiting a foul and Van Bommel jumping to the floor when Iniesta brushes slightly his shoulder.
Siete
Michael Thomas

Postby Fabrestuta » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:11 am

I sort of agree siete, there was a lot of Dutch play acting also, not as bad as Iniesta, but Robben came close.

I think we can all agree (or at least most of us can agree) that this was a piss poor climax for the worlds biggest football tournament. In my lifetime I can only think of 2 world cup finals that were interesting, Italy v Germany in 82 and Germany v Argentina in 86, the rest have been absolute muck.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Siete » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:22 am

Fabrestuta wrote:I sort of agree siete, there was a lot of Dutch play acting also, not as bad as Iniesta, but Robben came close.

I think we can all agree (or at least most of us can agree) that this was a piss poor climax for the worlds biggest football tournament. In my lifetime I can only think of 2 world cup finals that were interesting, Italy v Germany in 82 and Germany v Argentina in 86, the rest have been absolute muck.

Finals are usually always disappointing for me... even CL finals are usually crappier than any semi match.
Siete
Michael Thomas

Previous

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010