Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby starmandb » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:18 pm

footballer.i would have expected an arsenal player to do the same thing rather than let the ball sail into the net and take the punishment afterwards.
he was sent off a penalty was awarded and as much as i feel sorry for ghana its all part of the game he got a penalty and missed it. suarez feining an injury earlier to try to get a player sent off was a far more distasteful occurence and outside acceptable rules of behaviour
User avatar
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 11856
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby GunnGunn » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:20 pm

Exactly Starman.

If i played for Arsenal i would do the same thing, England, same thing.

Call me a cheating prick if you like but if that what it takes, then that is what it takes, simple.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
User avatar
GunnGunn
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 18994
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: London

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby SE13 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:14 pm

Gunner Down Under wrote:Gambled and it paid off? I wouldn't put it into those words.


But then you aren't me.

But that's exactly what it was whichever way you slice it.
Image

Image

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
User avatar
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace
 
Posts: 38139
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:12 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby SE13 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:16 pm

You could look at it another way. One on one with the keeper, he's rounded the keeper, and you are right behind him. Let him score, or pull him down?
Image

Image

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
User avatar
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace
 
Posts: 38139
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:12 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby Forest » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:19 pm

hes a Hero for Uruguay, enough said
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
User avatar
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9573
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:48 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby SE13 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:23 pm

gunner2018 wrote:hes a Hero for Uruguay, enough said


Much as John Terry would be a National hero here for doing exactly the same thing. In fact, he'd probably get knighted for it!
Image

Image

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
User avatar
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace
 
Posts: 38139
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:12 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby Gunner Down Under » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:27 pm

SE13 wrote:You could look at it another way. One on one with the keeper, he's rounded the keeper, and you are right behind him. Let him score, or pull him down?


Pull him down I guess.

But using your hands imo is worse :naughty:
Image
User avatar
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9278
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:48 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:33 pm

He is definately a cheat, I don't think anyone can disputed that but there is so much cheating in this sport now the word cheat has lost alot of it's potency.
User avatar
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 14205
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: London

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby Leody » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:39 pm

I'm sorry but I don't see it as cheating at all...

He knew the punishment and he took it. If he had gotten away with no punishment or something then I would call him a cheat. But he knew he would be sent off and he was.

It is the rules... Not the man.
This space used to be more fun...
User avatar
Leody
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger
 
Posts: 13300
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:31 pm
Location: Across the pond

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:44 pm

Leody wrote:I'm sorry but I don't see it as cheating at all...

He knew the punishment and he took it. If he had gotten away with no punishment or something then I would call him a cheat. But he knew he would be sent off and he was.

It is the rules... Not the man.


Just because someone gets the punishment they deserved doesn't mean they didn't cheat to get that punishment. I think we just have different interpretations of the word cheat.


What is wrong with the rules?
User avatar
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 14205
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: London

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby SE13 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:46 pm

Gunner Down Under wrote:
SE13 wrote:You could look at it another way. One on one with the keeper, he's rounded the keeper, and you are right behind him. Let him score, or pull him down?


Pull him down I guess.

But using your hands imo is worse :naughty:


No it's not, it's exactly the same thing, you've committed a foul, prevented a goal, and got yourself a red card. Different scenario, same outcome.
Image

Image

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
User avatar
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace
 
Posts: 38139
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:12 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby tkmullan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:01 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 785140.stm

blimey, he's not shy about it.

i agree that virtually any player in the world would have done it. looks to me like he could've actually got a head to it, but i suppose he went with the 'safer' option. but, for me, that is still cheating, and in a situation where it was a 100% certain goal it might be fairer to just award the goal.

i thinkwe should buy suarez. he can play up front or in goal, can't go wrong.
User avatar
tkmullan
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:28 pm

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:13 pm

SE13 wrote:
Gunner Down Under wrote:
SE13 wrote:You could look at it another way. One on one with the keeper, he's rounded the keeper, and you are right behind him. Let him score, or pull him down?


Pull him down I guess.

But using your hands imo is worse :naughty:


No it's not, it's exactly the same thing, you've committed a foul, prevented a goal, and got yourself a red card. Different scenario, same outcome.


It is the difference in the scenario that matters. In your scenario the player is sent off for a professional foul (fouling being part of the game) whereas the scenario here is a player getting sent off for "unsporting conduct" (which is why FIFA have grounds to extend the ban which they wouldn't have in your scenario). That is the difference, a professional foul is against the rules but unsporting conduct is against the rules ands cheating, at least imo. It really depends how you define cheating.
User avatar
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 14205
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: London

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby SE13 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:24 pm

I suppose the definition of cheating is the key. In both scenarios it's cheating. Remember Willie Young in the 80 Cup Final. That's a straight red these days, back then it was blatant cheating, and usually only got a bollocking from the referee.

But then isn't any foul "cheating" in that you've prevented your opponent having an advantage.

Both examples I gave, the majority of people would have either handled or taken the man out, both of which will prevent the goal.
Image

Image

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
User avatar
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace
 
Posts: 38139
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:12 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby Libertine » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:27 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:
SE13 wrote:
Gunner Down Under wrote:
SE13 wrote:You could look at it another way. One on one with the keeper, he's rounded the keeper, and you are right behind him. Let him score, or pull him down?


Pull him down I guess.

But using your hands imo is worse :naughty:


No it's not, it's exactly the same thing, you've committed a foul, prevented a goal, and got yourself a red card. Different scenario, same outcome.


It is the difference in the scenario that matters. In your scenario the player is sent off for a professional foul (fouling being part of the game) whereas the scenario here is a player getting sent off for "unsporting conduct" (which is why FIFA have grounds to extend the ban which they wouldn't have in your scenario).


Was he not sent off for deliberate handball?
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7734
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:17 pm

PreviousNext

Return to World Cup 2010

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest