Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby starmandb » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:18 pm

footballer.i would have expected an arsenal player to do the same thing rather than let the ball sail into the net and take the punishment afterwards.
he was sent off a penalty was awarded and as much as i feel sorry for ghana its all part of the game he got a penalty and missed it. suarez feining an injury earlier to try to get a player sent off was a far more distasteful occurence and outside acceptable rules of behaviour
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby GunnGunn » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:20 pm

Exactly Starman.

If i played for Arsenal i would do the same thing, England, same thing.

Call me a cheating prick if you like but if that what it takes, then that is what it takes, simple.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby SE13 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:14 pm

Gunner Down Under wrote:Gambled and it paid off? I wouldn't put it into those words.

But then you aren't me.

But that's exactly what it was whichever way you slice it.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:16 pm

You could look at it another way. One on one with the keeper, he's rounded the keeper, and you are right behind him. Let him score, or pull him down?

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Forest » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:19 pm

hes a Hero for Uruguay, enough said
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby SE13 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:23 pm

gunner2018 wrote:hes a Hero for Uruguay, enough said

Much as John Terry would be a National hero here for doing exactly the same thing. In fact, he'd probably get knighted for it!

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Gunner Down Under » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:27 pm

SE13 wrote:You could look at it another way. One on one with the keeper, he's rounded the keeper, and you are right behind him. Let him score, or pull him down?

Pull him down I guess.

But using your hands imo is worse :naughty:
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:33 pm

He is definately a cheat, I don't think anyone can disputed that but there is so much cheating in this sport now the word cheat has lost alot of it's potency.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:39 pm

I'm sorry but I don't see it as cheating at all...

He knew the punishment and he took it. If he had gotten away with no punishment or something then I would call him a cheat. But he knew he would be sent off and he was.

It is the rules... Not the man.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:44 pm

Leody wrote:I'm sorry but I don't see it as cheating at all...

He knew the punishment and he took it. If he had gotten away with no punishment or something then I would call him a cheat. But he knew he would be sent off and he was.

It is the rules... Not the man.

Just because someone gets the punishment they deserved doesn't mean they didn't cheat to get that punishment. I think we just have different interpretations of the word cheat.

What is wrong with the rules?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:46 pm

Gunner Down Under wrote:
SE13 wrote:You could look at it another way. One on one with the keeper, he's rounded the keeper, and you are right behind him. Let him score, or pull him down?

Pull him down I guess.

No it's not, it's exactly the same thing, you've committed a foul, prevented a goal, and got yourself a red card. Different scenario, same outcome.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby tkmullan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:01 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 785140.stm

blimey, he's not shy about it.

i agree that virtually any player in the world would have done it. looks to me like he could've actually got a head to it, but i suppose he went with the 'safer' option. but, for me, that is still cheating, and in a situation where it was a 100% certain goal it might be fairer to just award the goal.

i thinkwe should buy suarez. he can play up front or in goal, can't go wrong.
tkmullan
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:13 pm

SE13 wrote:
Gunner Down Under wrote:

Pull him down I guess.

No it's not, it's exactly the same thing, you've committed a foul, prevented a goal, and got yourself a red card. Different scenario, same outcome.

It is the difference in the scenario that matters. In your scenario the player is sent off for a professional foul (fouling being part of the game) whereas the scenario here is a player getting sent off for "unsporting conduct" (which is why FIFA have grounds to extend the ban which they wouldn't have in your scenario). That is the difference, a professional foul is against the rules but unsporting conduct is against the rules ands cheating, at least imo. It really depends how you define cheating.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:24 pm

I suppose the definition of cheating is the key. In both scenarios it's cheating. Remember Willie Young in the 80 Cup Final. That's a straight red these days, back then it was blatant cheating, and usually only got a bollocking from the referee.

But then isn't any foul "cheating" in that you've prevented your opponent having an advantage.

Both examples I gave, the majority of people would have either handled or taken the man out, both of which will prevent the goal.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Libertine » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:27 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:
SE13 wrote:
Gunner Down Under wrote:

Pull him down I guess.

It is the difference in the scenario that matters. In your scenario the player is sent off for a professional foul (fouling being part of the game) whereas the scenario here is a player getting sent off for "unsporting conduct" (which is why FIFA have grounds to extend the ban which they wouldn't have in your scenario).

Was he not sent off for deliberate handball?
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010