Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Re: Suarez. Villain or Hero?

Postby Gunner Down Under » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:53 am

Gunner_Paul wrote:I can see a Holland - Germany final, would be quite good if it happened, Germany have got a real test against Spain though.

One test I think they can win. They've disposed of Argentina well enough, if they carry their form into this match I'm predicting a few goals in this match
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby gunRAR » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:01 pm

suarez is my hero
gunRAR
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby golfinguy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:12 am

Let me see....

Henry handles the ball to help his team... biggest cheat in all of football.

Suarez does the same.... hero.

WTF?!?

Some of you are all basing your opinion of their infractions based upon what the referee called, or not. They both made the same action (handled the ball intentionally), same result (to prevent their team from going out). The way in which the referee reacted should not change what they did, or the labeling of it. If Suarez is a hero, so is Henry. If you think Henry is a cheat, then Suarez is too. End of.

Just because Henry got away with it and Suarez was called for it - does not change what they did. Henry was apologetic, Suarez is boastful. That to me makes Suarez the bigger villain.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Gunner Down Under » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:20 am

I thought they were both villains.............

If Uruguay lost the penalty shootout, he would be labelled a villain. But they won so the idea's different.
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby whee » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:50 am

Gunner Down Under wrote:If Uruguay lost the penalty shootout, he would be labelled a villain.

Why would Suarez have been a villain if Uruguay lost the shootout?

He'd have still given them the opportunity to win the game from spot-kicks, rather than face certain elimination if he hadn't palmed the ball away.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yorkyblue » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:07 am

I think a similar rule to the 'penalty try' needs bringing into football for severe circumstances like this. It's not the first time it's happened and wont be the last.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby whee » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:27 am

Yorkyblue wrote:I think a similar rule to the 'penalty try' needs bringing into football for severe circumstances like this. It's not the first time it's happened and wont be the last.

How would you go about implementing it?

Also, how can you award a goal when the ball hasn't crossed the line?
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:33 am

whee wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:I think a similar rule to the 'penalty try' needs bringing into football for severe circumstances like this. It's not the first time it's happened and wont be the last.

How would you go about implementing it?

Also, how can you award a goal when the ball hasn't crossed the line?

I'm not entirely certain of rugby rules, but it's something along the lines of the player clean through and gets fouled somehow, the try is awarded anyway, regardless of whether he'd have made it or not.

Not a bad idea though.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby whee » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:51 am

It's an awful idea in my opinion.

Assuming a player went around the keeper and his ankles were clipped, and he went down - a goal would be awarded anyway? Ridiculous idea.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:56 am

No idea how it would work.

I suppose it's open for discussion though.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:08 am

whee wrote:It's an awful idea in my opinion.

Assuming a player went around the keeper and his ankles were clipped, and he went down - a goal would be awarded anyway? Ridiculous idea.

Ankles being clipped could still be accidental.

Jumping and blatantly stopping a ball that was on its way over the line is not in the slightest accidental.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:09 am

Just to add, you will probs see about 1 penalty try given throughout the whole season if you're lucky. It's not like they are thrown around for the sake of it. It's just a rule that is there to make things fair in case a f**k up like this happens. As f***ked up as the RFL are, they have done well on certain things like this.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby SE13 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:46 am

Yorkyblue wrote:Just to add, you will probs see about 1 penalty try given throughout the whole season if you're lucky. It's not like they are thrown around for the sake of it. It's just a rule that is there to make things fair in case a f**k up like this happens. As f***ked up as the RFL are, they have done well on certain things like this.

Can you just explain the rules regarding penalty tries, and we'll see how it could be adapted into football.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby dunkdafunk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:32 pm

In both rugby league and in rugby union, if the referee believes that a try has been prevented by the defending team's misconduct, he may award the attacking team a penalty try. Penalty tries are always awarded under the posts regardless of where the offence took place. In rugby union, the standard applied by the referee is that a try "probably" would have been scored. The referee does not have to be certain a try would have been scored. In rugby league, the referee "may award a penalty try if, in his opinion, a try would have been scored but for the unfair play of the defending team.
in wenger we trust
dunkdafunk
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby dunkdafunk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:36 pm

Usually misconduct will just recieve a penalty. But if the offending if persistent or blatently prevented the score, then a penelty try is awarded.

It would be difficult to impliment this into football, as referees get enough stick as it is.
If a player falls over anywhere in the area the ref gets a crowd shouting at him.
in wenger we trust
dunkdafunk
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Previous

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010