22%
The manager is irrelevant
17%
Your mum
22%

Total votes : 18

Is firing Capello the answer?

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:33 pm

The WC post-mortem continues and some say Capello must go while others don't.
It's easy to identify several bad mistakes that he made personnel-wise but ultimately the team that started against Algeria should've beaten them anyway, irrespective of formation or personnel.
So is it just down to the fact that our players aren't good enough?
Are we always too quick to blame the manager when it's not really his fault if the players can't be arsed?

When Capello was first appointed I was very impressed with his CV and my first thought was that if we can't get to the semi-final with a manager of his quality then we should probably give up entering the competition.

Do you agree with that or was he overrated? All his success has been at club level, is he just not cut out for International football?
Was there a language barrier or is that just a crap excuse?

For me the reason we've got nowhere in the last few decades is because we've had W****rs in charge like McClaren, Sven, Hoddle, Turnip etc.
I was more hopeful this time because Capello has proven himself at the highest level.
So what does it actually take to get somewhere?
If someone of his quality can't do it, who can? Surely we'd need someone of superhuman ability. Fergie and Wenger would never do it, neither would Mourinho so that only leaves Gus Hiddink.
Or as I said is it irrelevant because our players just bottle it as soon as they pull on the shirt....?

Who do you want to come in and why?
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Re: Is firing Capello the answer?

Postby Goose » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:00 pm

Fire Alladyrce, Pulis and other manager that trains their players to be neanderthals who are scared of having the ball at their feet.

Also fire the FA and English referees who allow English players to spend the whole 90 minutes kicking technical players without getting a yellow card.
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby Forest » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:15 pm

pre xmas Capello can stay but the post xmas Capello can be sacked

since xmas he went against everything he kept banging on about, to me somethings not right whether it be the FA or Sponsors
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:18 pm

gunner2018 wrote:pre xmas Capello can stay but the post xmas Capello can be sacked

since xmas he went against everything he kept banging on about, to me somethings not right whether it be the FA or Sponsors

How are you going to separate the two?
Does he need a lobotomy or what?
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Goose » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:23 pm

Lol

Fabio "Two-Face" Capello

Maybe we can get him to flick a coin?
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby Forest » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
gunner2018 wrote:pre xmas Capello can stay but the post xmas Capello can be sacked

How are you going to separate the two?
Does he need a lobotomy or what?

no idea but how can you explain one minute picking players who play regulary and full fitness to pickin bench warmers and crocks?!

yes get him to flick a coin goose, heads - crock, tails - on form lol
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby TheLittleMozart » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:36 pm

I think you have the players but need a manager who isn't afraid to make the big descions sqaud wise; Dropping Gerrad or Lampard or taking Rooney off if he isn't playing well, desicions like shoving Gerrard out on the wing just to pease the fans was never a good idea.

Capello talks a good game but when push came to shove her bottled it.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby freddybhoy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:32 pm

Who do you replace him with? Redknapp? Hodgson?...........seriously? :think:
ONE VOICE, ONE LOVE, ONE FAITH, ONE CELTIC
freddybhoy
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:48 pm

freddybhoy wrote:Who do you replace him with? Redknapp? Hodgson?...........seriously? :think:

This is part of my point.
It's easy to say Capello was shite because he was but who do we replace him with....?
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:17 pm

As I've said in the 'step down, step up' thread cancelling someone's contract after 2 and a bit years isn't the way forward.

They should give him time to put together a new squad ready for 2014 world cup. Or maybe the 2012 Euros if that seems too long a timetable.

All throughout qualifying he was feted as the man England needed all these years, now on the back of one tournament (and the space of 2 months) he's the new Graham Taylor...

These things take time, chopping and changing managers every two years won't be good for the long-term development of England football team.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby mg86 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:02 pm

The hype is absolutely insane, but with the players you have, I'm not sure going out this soon is excusable, even if Germany was in the way. Several squad choices were idiotic, but I think there is a deeper issue, the players have such a barrier from domestic play that I think disrupts the squad's cohesion.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Fabby » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:03 pm

With Gza.

He did f**k up that selection, big time. But, he's proven at the highest level at club football, and the only way he'll get international experience is by being an international coach. Therefore give him a few years, we don't really have any other choice. We can't replace him with anyone close to as good as him, so just give him till the end of his contract atleast and start a new generation.
If It Feels Good, Do It.

Van Basten
Rivaldo------------- R.Gullit
Guardiola Effenberg
R.Carlos -----------------------J.Zanetti
Costacurta M.Sammer Bergomi
GK
Fabby
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:10 pm

Not unless we want to be the Real Madrid of International football
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:14 pm

mg86 wrote:The hype is absolutely insane, but with the players you have, I'm not sure going out this soon is excusable, even if Germany was in the way. Several squad choices were idiotic, but I think there is a deeper issue, the players have such a barrier from domestic play that I think disrupts the squad's cohesion.

You're right about Germany, the hype is irrelevant because on paper we're a better team than Germany man for man so we have no excuses for losing to them so badly.
It wasn't that they played particularly well it was just that we were sooooo bad and handed it to them on a plate.

Besides, some of that hype is actually not surprising really.
If you think about it, in our team we have four players who won the double last season and other players who have either played in the Champions League or won it (Gerrard).
They're known the world over for their great quality club football, no wonder the press go overboard.

Fabby wrote: We can't replace him with anyone close to as good as him, so just give him till the end of his contract atleast and start a new generation.

Do you think he will though?
Does he have the balls to get rid of all the big stars and start using U21 players....?
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fabby » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:22 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
mg86 wrote:The hype is absolutely insane, but with the players you have, I'm not sure going out this soon is excusable, even if Germany was in the way. Several squad choices were idiotic, but I think there is a deeper issue, the players have such a barrier from domestic play that I think disrupts the squad's cohesion.

You're right about Germany, the hype is irrelevant because on paper we're a better team than Germany man for man so we have no excuses for losing to them so badly.
It wasn't that they played particularly well it was just that we were sooooo bad and handed it to them on a plate.

Besides, some of that hype is actually not surprising really.
If you think about it, in our team we have four players who won the double last season and other players who have either played in the Champions League or won it (Gerrard).
They're known the world over for their great quality club football, no wonder the press go overboard.

Fabby wrote: We can't replace him with anyone close to as good as him, so just give him till the end of his contract atleast and start a new generation.

Do you think he will though?
Does he have the balls to get rid of all the big stars and start using U21 players....?

He has to. I think thats the only way he's gonna stay in the job.

I don't know what the f**k happened like everyone else, he came in and did thinks properly, we were playing well, the players looked good together, we were getting results and it was clear from day 1, if you weren't playing and playing well for your club, you weren't playing for England.

Then shit hits the fan and everything goes upside down before the world cup. It was a McClaren squad, we went back to playing our usual football and everything crashed and burned.

I don't think theres anyone out there that would give this lot another chance. The youth coming through is FAR from promising but this lot have had their chance, they f***ked up continually. If he starts fresh with players from the U21's and promising youth the step won't be enormous. If we keep the same set up for 4 years we will have more cohesion and chemistry than this bunch.

The only thing I can possibly say about our side, is there's too many 'main' players.
By this I mean they all think they are the best and either have to take responsibility or to put it properly hog the f***ing limelight. Every game we play they all want to do something fantastic.
f**k the likes of Lamps, J.Cole, A.Hole etc off now, Rooney can still play another 8 years in this team so he's obviously staying, then keep one more largely experienced player to be the real leader. Its gotta be either Gerrard or Terry and the rest of the lads will be fresh and hungry to win.

If he doesn't change things up now its going to be another wasted few years.
If It Feels Good, Do It.

Van Basten
Rivaldo------------- R.Gullit
Guardiola Effenberg
R.Carlos -----------------------J.Zanetti
Costacurta M.Sammer Bergomi
GK
Fabby
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Next

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010