The manager is irrelevant
17%
Your mum
22%

Total votes : 18

Re: Is firing Capello the answer?

Postby gzagee » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:36 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Fabby wrote: We can't replace him with anyone close to as good as him, so just give him till the end of his contract atleast and start a new generation.

Do you think he will though?
Does he have the balls to get rid of all the big stars and start using U21 players....?

There's a couple U21's whos should be given a chance, the most notable being Rodwell, Adam Johnson (should've been selected) and Gibbs.

However, there are a few players who simply haven't been given a look-in: Cahill (I know some don't rate him), Noble, D Bent (consistently English top scorer) and Parker.
Dawson should be given a chance.
I'd keep an eye on Tony Carroll at Barcodes and see if he's got the potential to succeed in the EPL, have him eventually challenging with Carlton Cole for Crouch and Heskey's spots.

Mr Richards also needs to bring in a 6+5 rule (and I mean English talent), but whether he will is doubtful what with his vested interest as EPL & FA bigwig.
Young English tlaent needs to be brought through, stop clubs going oversees and flooding youth academies with foreign kids, with the young english lads dropping out of football altogether.
Coaching, if it hasn't been reviewed recently needs another investigation. What are they teaching for guys to gain coaching badges?
Why are the majority of british born footballers still uncomfortable on the ball?

I bet you any money the French will learn from this debacle. Will the English do the same?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby dunkdafunk » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:53 am

Ok so we have 4 years till the next WC, we should drop all the guys who are going to be past it by then.
Replace these with promising youth.
We need to get defence solid, by that i mean have a regular 2 keepers Hart and Green/Foster.
The rest of the back line we want playing with each other for next 4 years, including subs, so they all know how each other plays and we dont do stupid back passes or terrible positioning.

Other than this we just need to have 1 player as holding mid and Rooney as playmaker up front. Some back up for these key positions would be nice too.
The rest need to learn how to play with a set formation working with these key players.

Ie we need players in the middle of the park who can keep the ball, move it on, and not loose possetion, and dangerous wide men who can beat a defender and deliver dangerous crosses.
in wenger we trust
dunkdafunk
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Libertine » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:56 am

I would most definitely stick with Capello.
I cannot see a better manager available to replace him.

However, their needs to be a major change in the playing personnel.
Had the FA not extended Capello's contract before the tournament, then perhaps they could've exerted a bit of pressure on him to give some untried players a chance.
As it is, we'll have to hope that he feels so let down by his senior players that he wields the axe himself....
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:01 am

It would be good for us if Capello goes because Redknapp would take over and the spuds could be stuck with another duff manager.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Libertine » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:28 pm

rogerthornhill wrote:It would be good for us if Capello goes because Redknapp would take over and the spuds could be stuck with another duff manager.

Unfortunately, so would England.... ;)
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:35 pm

Libertine wrote:I would most definitely stick with Capello.
I cannot see a better manager available to replace him.

However, their needs to be a major change in the playing personnel.
Had the FA not extended Capello's contract before the tournament, then perhaps they could've exerted a bit of pressure on him to give some untried players a chance.
As it is, we'll have to hope that he feels so let down by his senior players that he wields the axe himself....

I agree. I want Capello to stay but changes have to be made. This also includes him having to reassess himself and taking on-board any and all criticism he deceivingly gets. He is no longer beyond reproach.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Est83 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Terry - coke head c**t! Dad's a coke dealer, mum's a shoplifter, likes to play away from home and knock up other players biatches!
Gerrard - thug that likes to beat up DJ's and then pay to get off scott-free! Then cheats on his missus and gets a 16 year old pregnant.
Lampard - just a w***er really. He cheated on his bird also... nothing to do with football but hey!
A.Cole - in a word... c**t!

My point - the England team are a detestible bunch that would be difficult to support EVEN if they could play football! Twats, the lot of them! We've had far less talented teams play a hell of a lot better! Why?.. because they give a damn and don't expect to walk into the team! Jimmy Bullard and Scott Parker would have made a better midfield!.. That's right, Jimmy f**king Bullard!

I agree with dunkdafunk, most of the first team should be dropped, Euro 2012 needs to be used as a warm up for the next generation. Hate to say it, but we need to follow the way Germany have gone. Walcott, Adam Johnson, Michael Johnson, Wilshere, Gibbs, Agbonlahor, Hart, Milner... they all need to be regulars by 2012.

Even though much of the blame has to go on our overrated, underworked, overpaid bunch of celebrity w***er players, I still voted "boot him out"! Capello had all the talk, he said that he wouldn't tolerate unprofessional behaviour and that he would only pick based on form. He did the easy thing and dropped Owen and Walcott, and took away Terry's captaincy, but that was just to make his point. At the end of the day he still played a below par Rooney, and was afraid to drop under performing "star" players. So basically he was all talk! Parker had a better season than Barry, Dawson had a better season than Terry, Ferdinhand, King and Carragher!

And what about the tactics! All previous managers have recieved PERSONAL abuse for trying to tamper with our beloved 4-4-2... but this is the one time we've actually needed a change in formation! 4-3-3/4-5-1 was the way to go! We didn't play a diamond like the Argentinians, or that devastating 4-2-4 that the Brazilians deploy in attack. We played a prehistoric flat 4-4-2, and we sucked! Fair enough, it was a plan A... but nobody knows more about the impoprtance of a plan B than us Gooners. What did Capello do to change the game? Did his subs make ANY impact at all!?!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:54 pm

Est83 wrote:And what about the tactics! All previous managers have recieved PERSONAL abuse for trying to tamper with our beloved 4-4-2... but this is the one time we've actually needed a change in formation! 4-3-3/4-5-1 was the way to go! We didn't play a diamond like the Argentinians, or that devastating 4-2-4 that the Brazilians deploy in attack. We played a prehistoric flat 4-4-2, and we sucked! Fair enough, it was a plan A... but nobody knows more about the impoprtance of a plan B than us Gooners. What did Capello do to change the game? Did his subs make ANY impact at all!?!

No the subs made no impact or less.

Speaking of tactics did anyone else notice that when Sven experimented with diamond formations and 4-5-1's etc. he got utterly slated and all the pundits were begging him to change back to 4-4-2?
Now that Capello uses it it's the wrong option.

:scratch:
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Speaking of tactics did anyone else notice that when Sven experimented with diamond formations and 4-5-1's etc. he got utterly slated and all the pundits were begging him to change back to 4-4-2?
Now that Capello uses it it's the wrong option.

:scratch:

I do, especially about the diamond. Pundits, the media, England supporters all screamed he was an idiot for playing a diamond as 4 - 4 - 2 suited your players better. Now obviously a diamond would be much better suited to your squad.........
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Est83 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:27 pm

Exactly Inch. But all Capello's done is follow on from what Maclaren did, give Lampard another partner in the middle and use Gerrard on the wing... all for the sake of trying to play them in the same team. Atleast when we were calling for the 4-4-2 most of our players were in 4-4-2 formations at their clubs. Now they're all in 4-5-1/4-3-3's. Liverfool still play 4-4-2, but it's with two holding players, and Gerrard is used as a deep striker, not a midfielder.

You're right Fabra, the diamond would definitely work. Cole and Johnson are two of the most attacking full backs out there, we wouldn't lack any width.

Diamond:
Hart
Johnson Whoever Whoever Cashley
Barry
Gerrard Lampard
J.Cole
Defoe Rooney

4-3-3:
Hart
Johnson Whoever Whoever Cashley
Barry
_____ Lampard
Gerrard _____
Theo __ Rooney __ J.Cole

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Big difference being that in the 4 years since all our clubs have switched to some variant of 4-5-1 and found that it bloody works
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Massa » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:52 pm

I will be the new England manager.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:55 pm

Massa wrote:I will be the new England manager.

Lord help us.

It'll be Bartley at CB and lots of very tall players.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fordy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:57 pm

fire them all is the answer
Fordy

Postby Massa » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:07 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Massa wrote:I will be the new England manager.

Lord help us.

It'll be Bartley at CB and lots of very tall players.

Who do you think I am, PG? :grin:
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

PreviousNext

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010