Performance of non-English premiership players in the W/C

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Performance of non-English premiership players in the W/C

Postby UFGN » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:01 pm

OK so now the focus falls on the demands of the premiership having a supposed effect on England's players. Capello was just asked in a press conference about a winter break, and Jurnos and some pundits are saying the players play too much.

OK, so lets put it to the test.

How well have ALL the premiership's players performed in this world cup compared to other players? We know what happened to France but there are plenty of Prem players in the teams still in the competition.

Have they really played that many more games than those playing for Barca or Real Madid or Inter?

:dontknow:
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Re: Performance of non-English premiership players in the W/C

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:13 pm

The best player at the WC (in my opinion) plays in La Liga, but two of his team mates play in the Prem and have done ok. I am talking about Messi, Tevez and Mascherano.
The Germans have been playing well but none play in the Premier league, of course Klose and Podolski were pretty muck during the season (5 league goals between them) but get to the world cup and play great. Germany has the longest winter break I believe (though I may be wrong).
None of the Italian team play in the Prem but they were still muck.
A lot of the players who have shone at this WC seem to play in Spain, or at least that's what it seems like to me, Spain isn't a particularly rough league plus they get a winter break.

Not really sure where I am going with this to be honest. I just started typing and kind of went from there.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby UFGN » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:20 pm

Well its not conclusive is it? Its not like ALL the prem players have been crap or injered. Some have been poor, others good. So I dont see how the demands of the English football callender can be blamed, thats all. The tournament's not over yet, maybe we can have a better look at this after its finished. Barca for example play in a comparable league, take part in two domestic cups and the champions league, just like top English teams. In fact, many of the English players came from Clubs that didnt even play CL last season.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Briggsy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:43 pm

tevez without doubt thus far
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:45 pm

Thing is, compared to other teams.. NONE of our players get a winter break, where in other countries I reckon about 75%+ get breaks.

Not saying it means anything, just adding a point.

It would be interesting to see how a break works though as players do moan a lot at the end of seasons without WC's or EC's.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby SE13 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:56 pm

If they had a winter break, it means clumping more games closer together, which is surely counter-productive?

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:58 pm

SE13 wrote:If they had a winter break, it means clumping more games closer together, which is surely counter-productive?

Either that or 2 weeks less in summer which would probs work better. End a week later, start a week earlier.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby SE13 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
SE13 wrote:If they had a winter break, it means clumping more games closer together, which is surely counter-productive?

Either that or 2 weeks less in summer which would probs work better. End a week later, start a week earlier.

That'd be a better scenario.

But, you'd get all the pundits moaning that there isn't enough of a gap between EC/WC and the season.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby UFGN » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:20 pm

SE13 wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:

But, you'd get all the pundits moaning that there isn't enough of a gap between EC/WC and the season.

Personally I say put it to a vote of all the 20 prem managers and whatever the outcome, go with it. f**k pundits, its the clubs' opinions that matter.

UFGN

Postby Artemis8 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:38 pm

Why is it all Arsenal players have had a satisfactory WC at best.
Artemis8

Postby Fabby » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Youngie wrote:Why is it all Arsenal players have had a satisfactory WC at best.

What did you expect?

Nasri didn't go because Dumbanech plays f***ing Diaby infront of him, I'm sure u expected his performances.

Gallas should have done much better but technically isn't Arsenal any more.

Clichy and AverageAl don't play either.

Sagna was just part of a joke of a side.

Song is in an average side but didn't shine.

Cesc doesn't play.

Arsh wasn't there.

Walcott wasn't there.

RVP is doing well?
If It Feels Good, Do It.

Van Basten
Rivaldo------------- R.Gullit
Guardiola Effenberg
R.Carlos -----------------------J.Zanetti
Costacurta M.Sammer Bergomi
GK
Fabby
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Forest » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:12 pm

SE13 wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:

the french league starts a week earlier than ours i think, has a winter break and finishes about the same time aswel as having 2 domestic cup competitions. so can be done.

the concern is that if we have a winter break then man utd wil go to Dubai and play a game or two

also the winter break along with other competitions during a EC/WC campaign does pack the fixtures, Ath. Madrid were playing sat league, wed europa cup, sat league, wed copa del ray, sat league etc for about 2months constantly yet Forlan looks frash as a fiddle....

so i dont have a clue? more intense prem league? mentally draining? who knows
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby SE13 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:35 pm

Just got the tennis on, and there was mention of Roger Federer, who racked up 78 games last year, all over 90 minutes long. Fatigue shown?

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010