Wayne Rooney

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Wayne Rooney

Postby NotABlindFollower » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:22 am

All of his life this guy has recieved protection from the press, pundits, ex-england players, coaches, managers, The FA and even referee's like no other english player I have ever seen.

And even after our disastrous and humiliating defeat yesterday these people are at it i.e. instead of admitting he is just not as good as they have hyped him up to be they are making excuses for why he has had such a shit world cup. If you listen to them it is anyone's fault but Rooney's. I have seen so many blind and deluded AFBR's (Anyone's fault but Rooneys) that it amazes me.

Their argument this time seems to be that Rooney is a good player, because he plays well for manutd, therefore if he has performed shit for england then it is not his fault it is probably because he is injured or that the system didnt suit him.

I saw the highlights of the game yesterday and I dont think I noticed Rooney anywhere in it. Lampard actually featured in it quite a lot so did Gerrard.

When will we stop making excuses and defending Rooney? In the last world cup he did an even more stupid thing than Beckham did in 1998. Beckham was slaughtered (I remember the headlines of "10 brave lions and 1 stupid boy") yet all the press defended Rooney to the hilt. It was Erikssons fault for taking theo and not defoe as if that had anything to do with Rooney landing his studs on carvalho's balls??? All the focus was on Eriksson, Ronaldo and his wink. It was all their fault whereas Rooney was just a naive and innocent child. It was Ronaldo that got him sent off cleverly with his sly tactics. They all conveniently seemed to ignore the fact that Rooney had clearly tried to smash Carvalho's manhood. I even heard some pundits ridiculously and laughably trying to argue it was accidental.

It is a scandal that Rooney has never been sent off in the EPL. We all know why that is the case. We have protected this guy so much which I think has stunted his maturity and now we are reaping the rewards for that.
NotABlindFollower

Re: Wayne Rooney

Postby Briggsy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:34 am

As much as I hate Ronaldo and Rooney the incident 4 years ago is a joke what did Ronaldo do? he winked to the bench hardly crime of the century. Rooney was sent off because he was being fouled by Calvelho constantly and the referee tried to play a ludicurious advatage. obviously he shouldnt of reacted the way he did but he was a young guy and thats the how the youth deal with it. also there was previous between the 2 players who broke Rooneys Metertasal?

But this world Cup Rooney was shit and is not a world class player as many would like us to believe, He was over used by Ferguson at the tail end of the season despite carrying a injury
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:50 am

Briggsy wrote:
But this world Cup Rooney was shit and is not a world class player as many would like us to believe, He was over used by Ferguson at the tail end of the season despite carrying a injury

I can see why Ferguson did that as he needed him but at the same time. If Man Utd had the league wrapped up he would of used him anyway to tire him for the WC.

34 goals in 44 games this year. That's some going. He may not be the player some people believe but he's not as bad as others think either. He's on the brink of world class but still has work to do.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Briggsy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:53 am

Yorkyblue wrote:
Briggsy wrote:

I can see why Ferguson did that as he needed him but at the same time. If Man Utd had the league wrapped up he would of used him anyway to tire him for the WC.

34 goals in 44 games this year. That's some going. He may not be the player some people believe but he's not as bad as others think either. He's on the brink of world class but still has work to do.

Feguson had every right to play him Man Utd pay his over the top wages.
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Popey » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 am

he was horrible during this WC!

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby NotABlindFollower » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:10 am

Briggsy wrote:As much as I hate Ronaldo and Rooney the incident 4 years ago is a joke what did Ronaldo do? he winked to the bench hardly crime of the century. Rooney was sent off because he was being fouled by Calvelho constantly and the referee tried to play a ludicurious advatage. obviously he shouldnt of reacted the way he did but he was a young guy and thats the how the youth deal with it. also there was previous between the 2 players who broke Rooneys Metertasal?

Rooney got sent off because he attacked someone's manhood. No excuses. How many young players have you seen in this world cup who have lost their head and got sent off? Or in the world cup before? Or the one before? Or in any world cup.

Rooney is mentally immature. The reason for that is because we (the press, pundits e.t.c.) deem him to be the next big thing and have over protected him. He gets away with a lot in the EPL. Because he has been protected so much he has not matured. When someone criticises you it makes you a more mature person. David Beckham grew from a boy into a man after he recieved all of that abuse for his actions in the world cup 98. If we had protected him like we protected Rooney I do not think he would have reached the level of maturity that he eventually did.

I see the mass public criticising Rooney yet I have not found 1 article out there criticising Rooney. There is a deliberate effort to protect this guy. These people that think they are protecting a precious talent from damage are actually the ones damaging it.
NotABlindFollower

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:52 pm

The stats for Rooney this world cup has been absolutely appalling, they pretty much show him to be the worst player at the world cup (certainly of those who got alot of the ball) which is shocking.

Rooney is a great player but he got creamed about by the media this season despite his goal haul being a multitude of tap ins and headers set up by his teammates whilst players like Drogba and Tevez who scored more/nearly as much as him goals, assisted more than him and scored a much higher quality of goals over the season than him did not get as much attention despite deserving it so much more.

The commentators, pundits and media are largely to blame by talking up our players just because they are English. If they called what they see in the premiership on a genuine level regardless of nationality then maybe players like Rooney won't be hyped so much and therefore we won't get hyped up about them and the players don't believe the hype about themselves.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:The commentators, pundits and media are largely to blame by talking up our players just because they are English. If they called what they see in the premiership on a genuine level regardless of nationality then maybe players like Rooney won't be hyped so much and therefore we won't get hyped up about them and the players don't believe the hype about themselves.

I couldn't possible agree with that statement any more.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010