Time To Step Down, Time To Step Up

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Time To Step Down, Time To Step Up

Postby Forest » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:25 pm

England crashed and burned at the World Cup (yes stop laughing Lil Mo, Wales 3 Scotland ? ;) )

We got ripped apart because of our positioning, and the technical ability of the Germans. Maybe because they have youth with idea's. This kind of match where closing down and movement is important and will not suit Lampard or Gerrard on the left. It needs pace and skillful players.

This game would of suited Jack Wilshere perfectly, just ashame hes few years too young, he can be our Ozil at the next world cup or even Euro's. Laughing at that? well Ozil is 21, doesnt close down but passes, moves and finds the space. Jack did that perfect in the emirates cup and at times for Bolton.

The age of the first teamers will affect us as im sure they wont be at the next world cup part from Rooney. well if thats the case then alot of the players need to start and step aside to let Ashley Young, Lennon, Walcott, Adam Johnson, Bent, Agbonalor, Baines, Cahill, Jagielka etc etc to get that experince and step up. So what if Ashley Young plays crap for 90mins against Hungary in a friendly, hes had the experience and knows should do better, taking him off at half time isnt going to let him do THAT run and score against everton in the 89th min few seasons ago.

We've given the current squad 4years and got no where, people need to change there game or let people with different skills take over. A 30yr old Gerrard ISNT going to pace RB and LB's so why play him there. yes he can cross but not to a 5ft8 Defoe surrounded by a 6ft6 defender.

Maybe im annoyed and P'd off but something needs to change, our reserve players need to step up while the seniors need to step aside in none important games. We will get to the next World cup with a very old squad or a squad with no experience!

Not even going to start on Heskey

i dont usually post long posts so thanks for reading
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Re: Time To Step Down, Time To Step Up

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:27 pm

CAPELLO, CAPELLO, HE f***ked IT UP, HE f***ked IT UP!!!!!!!!!!
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Forest » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:29 pm

oh yeah forgot to mention he should go, instantly
@Coulston17

Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby tkmullan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:52 pm

I agree, there's a lot of good, young, English talent around at the moment, for example Joe Hart and Gibbs to add to the players you mentioned. And I mean, Rooney is still pretty young himself.

Obviously, you can't get rid of the experienced players just like that, but hopefully these kids all get good opportunities in the team over the next few years. If not, we might not make the next Euros either.
tkmullan
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:49 pm

What annoys me is players like Upson, Heskey and Barry who all had chances when they were younger and were not good enough, suddenly we think they could be world cup winners. Their places should have gone to younger players. Heskey did nothing in the first two games, why bring him on today? Surely Crouch deserved a chance after his goals in qualifying?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:52 pm

Not trying to simplify things but it seems to me its the same players who always under perform. I don't think there is a quick fix but I agree something should be done.
The problem is every manager who takes over is under massive pressure to instantly win, so if he decided to scrap the lot and start again it would likely mean missing out on a major tournament, that would be unacceptable for the public and even worse the media (because of what they would do to him) so its easier to just go with the tried and tested.
Capello did some things wrong during this tournament but he can't instill passion into the player, if they can't seem to be arsed performing on the worlds biggest stage its not his fault. Too many prima donnas in that team, England needs one player who everyone can look to as the undoubted leader, England has plenty of captains but no general, if you know what I mean.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:00 pm

I disagree with the primadonna thing. I think Gerrard had a brilliant world cup playing out of position, the only player in our squad who played better was David James. Lampard had moments where he didn't do a lot but he hit some lovelly shots today (and his goal should have counted) which is what he is there for.

As much as we want to hate these players the only big name who didn't perform IMO was Rooney. I believe that it was the squad players that let us down, instead of being young and pacey like Theo, they were old and past it like Heskey.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Forest » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:05 pm

im not saying change the whole squad but whats the point playing the team who played today against luxemburg in a friendly? we know what they can do so time to give others a chance and do it slowly otherwise everyone will be retired by 2014
@Coulston17

Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:07 pm

When I say primadonna I mean they are pampered. Gerrard had a decent WC going forward, but like most of your star midfielders his defensive play left something to be desired, granted he was a lot better than most. I didn't think any of your midfield had a spectacular tournament, if they did they'd have set up chances for your front players, which they obviously didn't do (not saying its entirely the fault of the midfield).

Rooney was a no show, but like Owen before him England put waaaay too much pressure on one person before every major tournament and basically expect them to do a Maradonna in 86 and win you the world cup almost single handed.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:38 pm

It was dire from start to finish, and that's about as much as needs to be said.

I'll add this note on the back of the other thread as well, Englanders need to expect some hammer, and you're going to get it. But please leave the personal insults out it.

England went out, yadda, but where were Scotland blah blah are just fine, but abusing someone for being Scottish/whatever simply isn't acceptable here.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby gzagee » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Was gonna start a thread on this sort of topic but best i use this one.

England need to keep Capello, Capello needs to usher in the new broom.

If I were him, once the dust settles tell the FA he'd like to continue and be given 4 years to create a squad capable of challenging for the 2014 WC.
This would entail 'retiring' the likes of Terry, Ferdinand, James (who is still England's best keeper, by the way), Lampard, Heskey, SWP, build again with hungrier players who aren't egotistical. Mould a new younger squad ready to go out and play with freedom.

Pretty much like Joachim Low did with the Germans...
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Gza, its all nice and rosy saying that but the FA won't have NONE OF IT.

If it were upto me, Ferdinand would be gone, SWP gone, Heskey gone whilst Lampard, Terry etc would gently be eased out.

Mark my words, someone can come back to this thread in 4 years time and quote me, that squad will still have Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, SWP etc will all be involved in some capacity.

In fact if James was it wouldn't surprise me.

This England team has been stale for years, we need new blood.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Fabby » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:58 pm

GZA BOOM nail on head if we sack Capello who we gonna get f***ing Roy Hodgson who will be another McLaren gimme a break I don't know myself what needs to be done but I'm not the f***ing manager.

I do agree with this retiring of all these egotistical twats in our team, but I at the same time realise we have utter f**k ALL to replace them if we do 'retire' them.

Sorry but I don't care how much they want it, players of the standard of Walcott, Milner, Upson etc are never gonna win a world cup because they are good, but not good enough.
If It Feels Good, Do It.

Van Basten
Rivaldo------------- R.Gullit
Guardiola Effenberg
R.Carlos -----------------------J.Zanetti
Costacurta M.Sammer Bergomi
GK
Fabby
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Forest » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:59 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Gza, its all nice and rosy saying that but the FA won't have NONE OF IT.

If it were upto me, Ferdinand would be gone, SWP gone, Heskey gone whilst Lampard, Terry etc would gently be eased out.

Mark my words, someone can come back to this thread in 4 years time and quote me, that squad will still have Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, SWP etc will all be involved in some capacity.

In fact if James was it wouldn't surprise me.

This England team has been stale for years, we need new blood.

we was on about that earlier thinking the FA or sponsors have a say of who should be playing and picked because in the end it was the same team as 4yrs ago practically
@Coulston17

Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:20 pm

gzagee wrote:Was gonna start a thread on this sort of topic but best i use this one.

England need to keep Capello, Capello needs to usher in the new broom.

If I were him, once the dust settles tell the FA he'd like to continue and be given 4 years to create a squad capable of challenging for the 2014 WC.
This would entail 'retiring' the likes of Terry, Ferdinand, James (who is still England's best keeper, by the way), Lampard, Heskey, SWP, build again with hungrier players who aren't egotistical. Mould a new younger squad ready to go out and play with freedom.

Pretty much like Joachim Low did with the Germans...

You basically said what I was going to. Out with the old, in with the new. It's time for a fresh chapter

I'm undecided about Capello. He made many mistakes leading up to and during the WC, from the formation to man managment and everything in-between.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Next

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010