Time To Step Down, Time To Step Up

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Re: Time To Step Down, Time To Step Up

Postby Q8 Gooner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:41 am

The team selection by Capello was a joke as i mentioned from the beginning.. The right mix was never there.. How many players from 2009 U21 were selected..!! Only Milner and Hart i think..!! Players like Agbonlahor, A.Young, Walcott, A.Johnson were dropped for the likes of Carrick, SWP, Heskey..!! Capello even wanted Scholes ffs..!! Look at Germany..!! They had a successful U21 team.. Players like Marin, Ozil, Boating, Muller have been given the chance in the first team with the mix of good experienced players like Klose and Podolski.. The same goes for Argentina.. The same team that won the olympics is there.. Its only in England that the WC always comes too soon for young players..
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Briggsy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:47 am

UFGN wrote:I am not going to sit here and defend Capello but he made less mistakes than most England managers have. Bottom line is, the players will always be the same - you cant pollish a turd.

4 centre midfielders in the midfield all so he could play he's chosen duo of Lampard and Gerrard! I think Capello should have a few questions thrown at him! like
1. Ledley King constantly injured why pick him?
2. Emile Heskey
3. How bad does Wayne Rooney have to play to be dropped
4. by the lack of width in our squad why wasnt both Theo and Johnson in the squad?
5. James is 40 years of age surely Green, Hart or Foster would of been a better choice
6. Jamie Carragher why was he allowed back in the the fold once he turned his country?

if he can give us a logical answer to all of them questions he will be allowed to be excused
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Briggsy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:48 am

Q8 Gooner wrote:The team selection by Capello was a joke as i mentioned from the beginning.. The right mix was never there.. How many players from 2009 U21 were selected..!! Only Milner and Hart i think..!! Players like Agbonlahor, A.Young, Walcott, A.Johnson were dropped for the likes of Carrick, SWP, Heskey..!! Capello even wanted Scholes ffs..!! Look at Germany..!! They had a successful U21 team.. Players like Marin, Ozil, Boating, Muller have been given the chance in the first team with the mix of good experienced players like Klose and Podolski.. The same goes for Argentina.. The same team that won the olympics is there.. Its only in England that the WC always comes too soon for young players..

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:57 am

Briggsy wrote:
UFGN wrote:I am not going to sit here and defend Capello but he made less mistakes than most England managers have. Bottom line is, the players will always be the same - you cant pollish a turd.

4 centre midfielders in the midfield all so he could play he's chosen duo of Lampard and Gerrard! I think Capello should have a few questions thrown at him! like
1. Ledley King constantly injured why pick him?
2. Emile Heskey
3. How bad does Wayne Rooney have to play to be dropped
4. by the lack of width in our squad why wasnt both Theo and Johnson in the squad?
5. James is 40 years of age surely Green, Hart or Foster would of been a better choice
6. Jamie Carragher why was he allowed back in the the fold once he turned his country?

if he can give us a logical answer to all of them questions he will be allowed to be excused

Well I dont agree re David James, he did well in the end, but ultimately if you look at the previous Swedish clown who had the job Capello's mistakes look relatively small. Heskey, I just dont know. f**k me, I cant explain that. Why does he play for England at all? I'll write to Susan Boyle, she's bound to have a sensible answer for this. Shes a foxy bitch and no mistake and I wouldnt be surprised if she knows. Why the obvious nidfield of Lennon/Gerrard/Barry/Cole was never used I also dont know.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Q8 Gooner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:05 am

TBH i think Maclaren was heading in the right direction but he took the job too soon plus he was unlucky.. He was dropping older useless players.. and selecting younger and better players.. I think Capello has f**ked up big time.. Considering the experience he has and where he got England plus the salary he is on..!! I don't see why the FA should stick with him.. While they did not have the patience with Maclaren..
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gzagee » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:31 am

Yes, Capello is to blame but I'm sorry there's a massively misplaced ego amoungst England players.
These are some of the highest paid players in the world.
I'd say 90% of that squad was the best he could've chosen.
The system may have needed changing at times but the buck stops with the show ponys.

There is no excuse. Lampard, Gerrard, Barry and Milner (who didn't play at all badly) should be able to function in a way that gives England impetus.
Put them up against their German counterparts and nearly man-for-man all England supporters would've gone with Capello's midfield.
The same goes for England's strikeforce.
Even with Upson in defence England had 3/4 of their best back-four. Again on paper these are better than Germany's.

So, you have highly paid players playing for Europes top clubs, playing their the best 11 they could've picked for that game, against a team of younger less popular and definitely poorer players and the end result was 1-4.

Lay the blame at Capello's door all you want but the personnel are at least if not more to blame.

As I (and Fabs said ;) ) earlier Capello should stay and be given time to ease out the old broom and bring in the new breed.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby gzagee » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:54 am

Q8 Gooner wrote:The team selection by Capello was a joke as i mentioned from the beginning.. The right mix was never there.. How many players from 2009 U21 were selected..!! Only Milner and Hart i think..!! Players like Agbonlahor, A.Young, Walcott, A.Johnson were dropped for the likes of Carrick, SWP, Heskey..!! Capello even wanted Scholes ffs..!! Look at Germany..!! They had a successful U21 team.. Players like Marin, Ozil, Boating, Muller have been given the chance in the first team with the mix of good experienced players like Klose and Podolski.. The same goes for Argentina.. The same team that won the olympics is there.. Its only in England that the WC always comes too soon for young players..

Q8, what you have to remember is that Capello has only been in post for about 2 1/2 years, whereas Joachim Low has been within the German set-up since Klinnsman was named their head coach. He's had SIX YEARS to oversee player development, culminating in German U21's hammering England U21's 4-0 in that Championship final.
Remember also that German clubs place more faith in their youth players than English clubs.

I've banged on your time that Arsenal should have a more English feel about it. But folks only seem to care about getting success no matter what nationality the personnel. The same can be said for many EPL clubs, success is almost mutually exclusive to homegrown talent.
Just look at the furore of the 6+5 rule. That's a rule I think should be brought into practice.
Moreso if it meant that homegrown talent is British.

There was a report last season which detailed the youth academy players at all the EPL clubs. The amount of foreign youth players at these academies is astounding.

So England's failure(s) at the World Cup(s) comes down to more than just the manager. It goes far far deeper than tearing up one man's contract and bringing in another marquee name on a massive 2 year contract...
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby starmandb » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:54 pm

england failed to qualify for the 1974 world cup finals despite a night defined by c,s
currie,channon,chivers,clarke and a so called clown in the polish goal christened so by brian clough. a month late another c a certain mr cappello scored the goal in italys 1st ever win at wembley.hard to believe that the load of c,s wearing the shirt now would be treated with the reverence that this great footballing nation garnered at the time.
however sir alf ramsey never came to terms with this new fangled substitution lark.
he called to the back of the bench[get stripped kevin you,re on] while ray clemence frantically helped keegan[so much so he pulled down his shorts]
kevin hector came on to the pitch to see if he could improve on our 35 shots on target.
one of my 1st memorys of 40 years and counting of trying not to love our national team.
hungary in august anyone?
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Q8 Gooner » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:52 am

gzagee wrote:

Q8, what you have to remember is that Capello has only been in post for about 2 1/2 years, whereas Joachim Low has been within the German set-up since Klinnsman was named their head coach. He's had SIX YEARS to oversee player development, culminating in German U21's hammering England U21's 4-0 in that Championship final.
Remember also that German clubs place more faith in their youth players than English clubs.

I've banged on your time that Arsenal should have a more English feel about it. But folks only seem to care about getting success no matter what nationality the personnel. The same can be said for many EPL clubs, success is almost mutually exclusive to homegrown talent.
Just look at the furore of the 6+5 rule. That's a rule I think should be brought into practice.
Moreso if it meant that homegrown talent is British.

There was a report last season which detailed the youth academy players at all the EPL clubs. The amount of foreign youth players at these academies is astounding.

So England's failure(s) at the World Cup(s) comes down to more than just the manager. It goes far far deeper than tearing up one man's contract and bringing in another marquee name on a massive 2 year contract...

yes i do agree its no only capello's fault.. But for football clubs its really difficult to go more english.. The value of english players is really ridiculous.. Milner rated at 25+ million pounds while nasri was bought at 12.5 million..!!
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Libertine » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:26 am

gzagee wrote:Lay the blame at Capello's door all you want but the personnel are at least if not more to blame.

As I (and Fabs said ;) ) earlier Capello should stay and be given time to ease out the old broom and bring in the new breed.

I agree.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Previous

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010