England Vs Germany | 27/06/10

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Re: England Vs Germany | 27/06/10

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Lil Mo talks alot of smack for someone who's team wasn't even there. ;)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby TheLittleMozart » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:25 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
TheLittleMozart wrote:England had one player who was looking to make things happen; Lampard.

Yet we still had more shots on target, off target and more possession than the Germans?

What you mean when Gerrard kept running with the ball cutting inside and shooting either wide tamely are the goalkeeper?
Rooney and Defoe hardly kicked a ball, Milner was non-existant, Gerrard did nothing.

Has Rooney actually had a shot on target so far?
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:42 pm

More to the point, did Rooney even have one decent first touch all tournament?

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:47 pm

I thought Rooney did the best piece of football for England at the WC. Some people forgot his shot that the keeper pushed onto the post on Weds already I take it.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cheese » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:10 pm

The difference between the two teams is the German players have focused on the World Cup since last year, whereas the England players were more focused on winning things for thier respective clubs. The comentator listed about 8 German players who have had a really shit season for thier clubs, but turn up when Germany calls. English player don't! I don't think there's a real passion or commitment there. Rooney needs to stop believing his own hype, as do a number of other players. Fair play to - and it hurts me to say it - Ashley Cole and Terry who seemd the most commited. Although Ashley didn't look that upset coming off at full time, i think he was probably just bottling it up until he got off the pitch.

I think the best thing for us is to not go Brazil in four years, make this 75% of that teams last World Cup and consentrate on building a team capable - in 8 years time - competting, not even winning, just to compete with the best would be nice.

I now know how it must feel to be Scottish, Irish and Welsh and it sucks quite frankly! No dissrespect ment people....
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby freddybhoy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:20 pm

Cheese wrote:

I now know how it must feel to be Scottish, Irish and Welsh and it sucks quite frankly! No dissrespect ment people....
None taken Cheese! The level of expectation heaped on England by the media is ridiculous and weighs heavily on their shoulders. The British "up and at 'em" style of football will continue to fall at the feet of the streetwise and technically gifted continentals. Some things just aren't meant to be.
ONE VOICE, ONE LOVE, ONE FAITH, ONE CELTIC
freddybhoy
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Libertine » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:21 am

Cheese wrote:I think the best thing for us is to not go Brazil in four years, make this 75% of that teams last World Cup and consentrate on building a team capable - in 8 years time - competting, not even winning, just to compete with the best would be nice.

I can't agree with that Cheese.
Failure to qualify would lead to the importance of the England team slipping below even where it is now.
It would give the Premier League Board (who hate the England team) the opportunity to bang on about the irrelevence of the international game as we already have 'the best football in the world' available in the form of their competition.

Football in this country has become obsessed with short term financial gain.
Nobody, least of all the FA, seems interested in putting a long term plan in place.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby NotABlindFollower » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:51 pm

gzagee wrote:NABF- come on man, each goal was from a mistake by the defence or poor defending.

First goal- if you can explain what the hell Upson and Terry were meant to be doing then I'd like to hear it.
Second goal- as I explained previously the defence were pulled apart and left Podolski the keys to SA
Third goal- classic counter, okay the ball was smashed straight at James but Mueller was favourite to score with more of the goal to aim at. And wasn't it from an England attacking position?
Fourth goal- another counter, Barry skinned and left for dead when he had a headstart on his man...

You are totally missing the point. Because Upson was at fault for the first how on earth does it absolve James from all responsibility.

Just listen to yourself. You are saying its all the fault of others and no fault of James.

I am saying others are to blame but so is David James. You need to judge James on what he did purely as a keeper ignoring the rest.

Should he have saved the first goal? Yes
Should he have got beaten from that tight angle for the second goal? No
Should he have spilled that shot straight at him for the third goal? No.

I am not blaming him for our defeat. I am questioning why some people in the media are suggesting he was our best player. He was shit.
NotABlindFollower

Postby Est83 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:00 pm

NotABlindFollower wrote:
gzagee wrote:NABF- come on man, each goal was from a mistake by the defence or poor defending.

First goal- if you can explain what the hell Upson and Terry were meant to be doing then I'd like to hear it.
Second goal- as I explained previously the defence were pulled apart and left Podolski the keys to SA
Third goal- classic counter, okay the ball was smashed straight at James but Mueller was favourite to score with more of the goal to aim at. And wasn't it from an England attacking position?
Fourth goal- another counter, Barry skinned and left for dead when he had a headstart on his man...

You are totally missing the point. Because Upson was at fault for the first how on earth does it absolve James from all responsibility.

Just listen to yourself. You are saying its all the fault of others and no fault of James.

I am saying others are to blame but so is David James. You need to judge James on what he did purely as a keeper ignoring the rest.

Should he have saved the first goal? Yes
Should he have got beaten from that tight angle for the second goal? No
Should he have spilled that shot straight at him for the third goal? No.

I am not blaming him for our defeat. I am questioning why some people in the media are suggesting he was our best player. He was shit.

It's just been so long since we've had a solid keeper that many were left impressed that James actually caught crosses... yes that's right, he didt flap or fumble, he caught the f**king crosses... This is a milestone for English keepers, arguably our greatest achievment this summer. Well done James, well done! :clap:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby NotABlindFollower » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:
Here are some stats (courtesy of Optajoe)

Rooney has failed to score in his last nine games for England, his longest barren run for the national team.
-Rooney has lost the ball by being tackled in possession 32 times, more often than any other player at the 2010 World Cup.
-Rooney completed only 55 per cent of his passes for England against Germany - the lowest rate in the game.

F***ing hell. I don't buy the claim by many Man Utd fans that fitness was the only cause of his performance.

James had some great moments but Cashley was our motm if I had to pick someone.

Shocking stats from the golden boy. I still rate Rooney even if he is a spud headed scouse/manc, but he was invisible for this world cup.

And the last. So that is 2 world cups and 0 goals.

Ive said all along he is over rated.
NotABlindFollower

Postby NotABlindFollower » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:16 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:
Fabrestuta wrote:The thing is Mo no one will ever know what would have happened if the goal had been given. We all saw that Germany was a better team, but they are a young team and if it had been 2-2 they might have cracked under the pressure and England could have gone on to win.

Granted Its all ifs and buts the fact is we don't know.

The Germans weren't even out of second gear when it was 2-1 and that goal never counted. Around the 60 minute mark the stepped it up and England just couldnt cope!
England had one player who was looking to make things happen; Lampard.

Eeveryone else was posted missing.

Sorry but you are demonstrating your lack of understanding of how small details can make a big difference. You have moments in every game where if things go your way the outcome of the game is different and if it doesnt go your way then the outcome could be very different.

That lampard goal could have been one of those moments. No one will ever know now.

Germany didnt step it up at 60 minutes but England tried to step it up in search of an equaliser because they were 2-1 down instead of being 2-2. They got hit on the counter and conceded 2 goals. The 3rd and the 4th goal were conceded on counter attack because we had committed too many people forward. It wouldnt have happened if we were 2-2. We could have still lost but we also could have won.

The point being made is that we will never know.
NotABlindFollower

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:44 pm

NotABlindFollower wrote:Ive said all along he is over rated.

Me too.

It was only a few months ago that the Sky pundits (and MOTD) were mentioning his name alongside players like Messi and Kaka and saying he was in the top 3 players in the world!!

Seriously?
:dizzy:
NotABlindFollower wrote:
Sorry but you are demonstrating your lack of understanding of how small details can make a big difference. You have moments in every game where if things go your way the outcome of the game is different and if it doesnt go your way then the outcome could be very different.

That lampard goal could have been one of those moments. No one will ever know now.

Germany didnt step it up at 60 minutes but England tried to step it up in search of an equaliser because they were 2-1 down instead of being 2-2. They got hit on the counter and conceded 2 goals. The 3rd and the 4th goal were conceded on counter attack because we had committed too many people forward. It wouldnt have happened if we were 2-2. We could have still lost but we also could have won.

The point being made is that we will never know.

The disallowed goal is irrelevant imo, we would've lost either way.
Yes we pressed forward and consequently conceded on the break but if you can't mount an attack without leaving a gaping hole in your defence (I'm looking at you John Terry) then you don't deserve to win the game.
It was like Arsenal v Manure all over again. We concede a goal against a team even though on paper we're better, so everyone rushes forward to try and put that right including Gallas and TV.
We lose the ball and surprise surprise we get murdered on the break. Some of the easiest goals that Manure/Germany have ever scored.

What ever made Terry think that he should be making runs into the box to try and win the game I'll never know.
Being 2-1 down is a difficult situation but it's nowhere near as bad as 4-1 prick.

Even if that goal had stood we wouldn't have stood back and defended that scoreline hoping for ET or penalties. We'd have gone forward to try and get the winner and been caught on the counter anyway.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Cheese » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:24 am

Libertine wrote:
Cheese wrote:I think the best thing for us is to not go Brazil in four years, make this 75% of that teams last World Cup and consentrate on building a team capable - in 8 years time - competting, not even winning, just to compete with the best would be nice.

I can't agree with that Cheese.
Failure to qualify would lead to the importance of the England team slipping below even where it is now.
It would give the Premier League Board (who hate the England team) the opportunity to bang on about the irrelevence of the international game as we already have 'the best football in the world' available in the form of their competition.

Football in this country has become obsessed with short term financial gain.
Nobody, least of all the FA, seems interested in putting a long term plan in place.

That's very true.. I just don't see us doing anything in 4 years. I hope we do though, a lot can change in that time!
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:50 am

groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Popey » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:50 am

I love that terry dive :)

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010