Walcott left out of World Cup squad

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Re: Walcott left out of World Cup squad

Postby freddybhoy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:58 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:
Fabrestuta wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
I really couldn't give a monkeys about england and the world cup. i just want the proper football season to hurry up.

Hate to harp on about this but Ireland got robbed so I really don't care that much either. I do enjoy the world cup though even if we don't make it.

Though like you I am counting the days until the league starts again.

Did use f**k mate... If memory serves correct did use not get a dodgey penalty desicion in the first game against them or a goal allowed when it shouldnt have been?
Scotland got robbed against Italy in the diying minutes when Toni went through Hutton only for the ref to give a free-kick to Italy, in which they scored to send us crashing out at the final hurdle.
Your memory's playing tricks on you mate! We had to beat the Italians to qualify. The score at the time of the incident was 1-1 and we were deep into time added on. If McFadden hadn't missed that open goal shortly after we had equalised, then you may have had a point. Time to move on.
ONE VOICE, ONE LOVE, ONE FAITH, ONE CELTIC
freddybhoy
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby IMF » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:14 am

Lol at Gareth Neviller saying Capello should've taken Theo
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby Leody » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:18 pm

Goose wrote:Wow, I blame Sven, taking Walcott to the WC has put so much pressure on him to be in this squad

I'm sorry to bring this back up from the first page... but I've been away.

I couldn't disagree more. This is all on Theo. Period. End of story.

Nobody else made him under perform but himself. Nobody else made him lose his spot on the team. He didn't perform well enough to earn it. Not because he had pressure, not because of the hype not because of anything else. He didn't get it because he's not good enough. That's it.

Plenty of other players from around the world have been thrown into the fire and done just fine and exactly what was expected of them. Theo has not. That is nobody else's fault but Theo's.

In my opinion it is time to stop making excuses for Theo. He is 21 now and not even starting for his club team either. So he's no better than any of the players that were taken ahead of him. If you think otherwise I'd have to say you're probably looking at the situation through Arsenal tinted glasses.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Forest » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:21 pm

welcome back! thought you got a job or something?!

not all of us feel like that, if you read mine and Inch's posts few pages back then you know how some of us feel more heat towards Fabio because of other reasons
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Leody » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:24 pm

Yeah I read the whole thread, but I just felt like picking on Goose.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with Fabio either. I honestly believe that his opinion on Theo is probably the same as most other managers in the football world. I'd wager that better than 50% of the managers in the WC wouldn't have selected Theo if they were managing England.

Oh and still no job. Just been getting out more, went on a couple camping trips and stuff like that.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Walcott left out of World Cup squad

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Leody wrote:
Goose wrote:Wow, I blame Sven, taking Walcott to the WC has put so much pressure on him to be in this squad

Nobody else made him under perform but himself. Nobody else made him lose his spot on the team. He didn't perform well enough to earn it. Not because he had pressure, not because of the hype not because of anything else. He didn't get it because he's not good enough. That's it.

Plenty of other players from around the world have been thrown into the fire and done just fine and exactly what was expected of them. Theo has not. That is nobody else's fault but Theo's.

In my opinion it is time to stop making excuses for Theo. He is 21 now and not even starting for his club team either. So he's no better than any of the players that were taken ahead of him. If you think otherwise I'd have to say you're probably looking at the situation through Arsenal tinted glasses.

That is why I think being dropped from the England squad might be good for him, a bit of a kick up the arse!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Libertine » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:12 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:That is why I think being dropped from the England squad might be good for him, a bit of a kick up the arse!

I agree.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby dunkdafunk » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:13 am

Leody wrote:

Agreed.

If he had a bit more of a killer instinct, and skinned a few fullbacks, tricked his way past at other times, and put in decent crosses, then theo would be a better option to take than lennon or SWP.

For now Theo needs to accept that he is a final half hour sub at best, he needs to work on those skills so that he can almost guarantee his team mates a few chances on goal. And he needs to slot away a chance every few games.
Otherwise he is just going to dissapear.
in wenger we trust
dunkdafunk
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Briggsy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:08 am

Messi stunned England left Arsenal winger Walcott at home
05.07.10 | tribalfootball.com
READ MORE NEWS ON: Arsenal, Barcelona, Lionel Messi, World Cup
Barcelona star Lionel Messi was shocked that England did not include Arsenal winger Theo Walcott in their squad.

Walcott was expected to make the plane to South Africa but was left at home.

The decision came despite the fact that the 21-year-old became the youngest player to score a hat-trick for England against Croatia in 2008.

And Messi points to last season's Champions League clash between Arsenal and Barcelona as another match where Walcott had a major impact.

"I must say that at the time I thought it was a bad decision to leave Theo Walcott at home," he told the Daily Star.

"And I think that has been proved right. I can only speak from experience but he was one of the most dangerous players I have ever played against.

"Barcelona players are not scared easily but I can tell you that when we played Arsenal last season he truly worried us.

"When we were playing Arsenal at the Emirates we were so in control of the game at 2-0, with all respect Arsenal were not even in the game.

"Then Theo came on and changed the game. He pretty much single-handedly salvaged a draw against Barcelona that night.

"Even in the return leg our manager Pep Guardiola was telling us he was the player to watch out for. And the best players in the world like Xavi and Gerard Pique were telling us to watch out for him. The truth is that he really rattled him.

"If he could do that against Barcelona, think what he could have done against Germany and Algeria. Even if he didn't start, he would still have been very important for England.

"Along with Cesc Fabregas and Sergio Aguero he would have been the best impact player at the World Cup."

http://tribalfootball.com/messi-stunned ... ome-951461
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Q8 Gooner » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:28 am

I agree with Messi
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Est83 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:59 am

Hmmm... sound like they'e tapping up Theo now... f**king Barca!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby tkmullan » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:24 pm

the 2-2 against Barca was one of Theo's best games for us. Maybe if Messi watched Arsenal more often he'd have a different opinion...

Even in the return leg our manager Pep Guardiola was telling us he was the player to watch out for. And the best players in the world like Xavi and Gerard Pique were telling us to watch out for him. The truth is that he really rattled him.

This made me smile for some reason, didn't expect to read anything like that about Walcott. But I suppose, Cesc, RVP, Arshavin, plus others, (was Nasri out? I'm not sure that he was, but I can't remember him playing) were all injured, so I guess that did leave Walcott as the main threat. :\
tkmullan
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Massa » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:26 pm

Walcott for Messi, straight swap?
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Previous

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010