Walcott left out of World Cup squad

Talk about the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Re: Walcott left out of World Cup squad

Postby cescpistol » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:At least theo should be fresh for the start of next season. He needed a kick up the ass, maybe being dropped from the England squad will be it!

he should be using this as a wake up call for arsenal and englandshire. i suppose when the team come back with their tail between their legs he can always say thank f*£k i wasn't part of another charade.
cescpistol
Michael Thomas

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:09 pm

He even said himself that he didn't deserve it, and I agree.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:00 pm

ChVint22 wrote:He even said himself that he didn't deserve it, and I agree.

Where did he say that?

Personally I think he's done enough, but even if you're the kind of fan who doesn't have a lot of faith in Theo think of the players that ARE going that could've been left out instead of him.
No reason why you can't take SWP, Lennon AND Theo and just use Theo as an impact sub. Let's face it he's far more likely to change a game in the last 15 minutes than the other two.

Theo could've replaced any of these players as they're all a waste of clothes imo.

Carrick
Upson
Heskey
SWP
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:04 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:He even said himself that he didn't deserve it, and I agree.

Where did he say that?

Personally I think he's done enough, but even if you're the kind of fan who doesn't have a lot of faith in Theo think of the players that ARE going that could've been left out instead of him.
No reason why you can't take SWP, Lennon AND Theo and just use Theo as an impact sub. Let's face it he's far more likely to change a game in the last 15 minutes than the other two.

Theo could've replaced any of these players as they're all a waste of clothes imo.

Carrick
Upson
Heskey
SWP

It was on Sky.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby TheLittleMozart » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:09 pm

I honestly do not see what all the fuss about Theo not going, is.
He has done hee-haw to merit a place of the team and he has been no better than Lennon or SWP, the only reason they got picked was probabaly to them being more expereinced and yes, slightly better.

Heskey got picked because he offers more to the team on an international level, no point in picking Walcott over him, if hes got two players ahead of him already out on the wing as hes not going to bring anything upfront either.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Inchpractice wrote:

Carrick
Upson
Heskey
SWP

I would agree with Theo maybe replacing Heskey or SWP (although SWP did play well against Japan) Upson was taken in case of an injury to Terry or Ferdinand but its a so so pick for me. The only one I strongly disagree with is Carrick. He may be a dirty manc but he will sit in midfield and allow Lumpard and diving scouser to get forward in support of Rooney.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:14 pm

I don't really think SWP was that bad of a pick, he has more experience than Theo, a better final ball than Theo, more creative and almost just as much pace.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:18 pm

ChVint22 wrote:I don't really think SWP was that bad of a pick, he has more experience than Theo, a better final ball than Theo, more creative and almost just as much pace.

Its kind of a toss up if you ask me, and as you say SWP has more experience. The only thing Theo really offers is coming on late when defenders are tired and using his pace to scare the bejesus out of them.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby TheLittleMozart » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:18 pm

ChVint22 wrote:I don't really think SWP was that bad of a pick, he has more experience than Theo, a better final ball than Theo, more creative and almost just as much pace.

Exactly.
If it were a choice for my team, I know I'd rather have the winger with more experience,a better eye for a pass and a better final ball over another who who has othing over the first one apart from an extra yard of pace.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Forest » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:03 pm

whether he deserves to go or not is a debate but the issue i have is that hes been a part of the qualifying campaign from day one then dropped as soon as we get there for players who havent got been involved alot (warnock/king/carragher/cole/SWP)

total kick in the teeth to be a starter then dropped completely for a bench warmer at club level
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:39 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:

Carrick
Upson
Heskey
SWP

I would agree with Theo maybe replacing Heskey or SWP (although SWP did play well against Japan) Upson was taken in case of an injury to Terry or Ferdinand but its a so so pick for me. The only one I strongly disagree with is Carrick. He may be a dirty manc but he will sit in midfield and allow Lumpard and diving scouser to get forward in support of Rooney.

Upson appears to be there in case Rio and Duckface get injured but what about Carragher?
Carragher can play RB or CB so if Duckface gets injured you use King and if they both get injured you use Carragher.
That's the whole point of Carragher apparently so why take Upson, it's a waste of a place? You could've taken Theo instead or if you don't like him, then Bent or Adam Johnson.
Carrick is so ineffective imo.
He's the master of sideways passes. If he's not a good DM and he has no attacking flair what the f**k is the point of him? He's the Denilson of the England squad, only not as good!
He's only there because Hargreaves is injured and Scholes won't play.

Have you seen him play for England lately? Woeful performances and he can't even get into the Man City side lately because a player six years younger than him is keeping him out i.e. Johnson.
gunner2018 wrote:whether he deserves to go or not is a debate but the issue i have is that hes been a part of the qualifying campaign from day one then dropped as soon as we get there for players who havent got been involved alot (warnock/king/carragher/cole/SWP)

total kick in the teeth to be a starter then dropped completely for a bench warmer at club level

That's exactly my point. Capello said he'd take players that are on good form but SWP has been shite and Parker has been superb.
He also said he wouldn't take injured players but he's taking Barry.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby freddybhoy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:22 pm

Not really surprised but credit to Walcott for taking his disappointment like a man. What is baffling however, is Bent being overlooked for Heskey, Dawson being overlooked for Upson and Johnson being excluded in favour of Barry. Those 3 players would have freshened up a tired looking squad because their confidence is high. Bent scoring 25 goals last season for an average side is exceptional, and he would have been a better back up choice than Heskey who has had his day. Dawson's form for Spurs was one of the reasons that helped catapult them into 4th place while Upson has struggled in a difficult season for West Ham. Adam Johnson looks an exciting talent and I think less of a risk than Barry whose fitness remains in doubt. Those who say he is too young, should remember what happened when Owen and Rooney burst onto the scene. Youth has no fear!
ONE VOICE, ONE LOVE, ONE FAITH, ONE CELTIC
freddybhoy
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby gzagee » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:29 pm

Hey freddy, how's tricks?

I must ask why you think Adam Johnson should replace Barry? They don't play the same position. Barry is more holding midfielder whilst A Johnson is definitely a winger.

Could you have been referring to Parker who was said to be in line if Barry didn't make it?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:43 pm

Well, at least we have an excuse for going out early now eh?
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby freddybhoy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:02 pm

gzagee wrote:Hey freddy, how's tricks?

I must ask why you think Adam Johnson should replace Barry? They don't play the same position. Barry is more holding midfielder whilst A Johnson is definitely a winger.

Could you have been referring to Parker who was said to be in line if Barry didn't make it?
I forgot he plays on the right gzagee!! But he IS left footed is he not? Why not play him on the left? It's a position that's been England's achilles heel for a while and I don't think the lad would be fazed playing on the opposite flank. We'll never know now and it looks as though Joe Cole might get that spot on the left. As for Parker, I think he's a good player with a great engine and would maybe have been a better back up option than Carrick, who I don't rate at all.
ONE VOICE, ONE LOVE, ONE FAITH, ONE CELTIC
freddybhoy
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to FIFA World Cup 2010