Headphones

Talk about mobile phones, DVDs, PCs or anything "techy"

Headphones

Postby Pudpop » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:31 pm

Hey bitches, long time no vitriolic Wenger Out debate :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:

In the market for headphones so I thought I'd pop in and get some advice (let's be honest I'm only here because of Zenith). Looking for value for money high quality.

Also is GA now GoonerAlexandre? Got a PM from me and it was disconcertingly friendly so I wasn't sure ;) What else I miss around here? Dejan admit to cheating on Massa yet?
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Re: Headphones

Postby Sims » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:01 pm

oioiiiiiiii

zenith is the man to speak to about this stuff iirc
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Pudpop » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:07 pm

sims LADDDDDD

since when are you member of the year? Did I win this year?
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Massa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Great to have you back Pud, hope you are well.

Zenith I believe has talked about his headphone history in the past, I had a search when I was looking for a pair for myself. Can't remember what they were, but whatever ones he owned were in the ~£100 range, so were ideal. They looked good from reviews, but I myself settled on the Audio Technica m50x. Great pair of cans for a good price.

Realistically I think it depends on the music you're into. Reddit/r/headphones has a good guide: https://sites.google.com/view/quipa/assistants
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Pudpop! Tears of joy are streaming down my face.

If you want value for money and quality the answer is Grado SR325e.

I've also been researching this subject and these are unanimously praised as being the best headphone on the market under £300.

That's still a lot of money and I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but if you want audiophile quality that is cost efficient I'd say it's your best bet.
Last edited by Va-Va-Voom on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Dejan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Go away

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:04 pm

I feel like we have had this conversation before. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1860&p=1483366&hilit=takstar#p1483404

What's your budget?

Anyway, with the Pro 80 it got to a point where everyone started to realise what a steal they were for $60. Inevitably the price went up and they have now become very hard to find.

There is also good news. Takstar have somehow managed to tweak their Pro 80 even further with their 2017 model; the Pro 82.

Here's a detailed review; https://www.head-fi.org/threads/takstar ... ad.849965/

Massa's Audio Technicas have a great rep and the cans suggested by VVV receive rave reviews too.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby UFGN » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:11 am

One word: Marley

They've changed the rules when it comes to buying earphones. You used to buy an overpriced pair of Sony or whatever and hope for the best

Now you just buy a pair of Marleys for about £25 and you've got brilliant sound. They've got a full range of different options but I prefer Marley Chants. Bouncy, bassy and dynamic.

Loud as hell too
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Pudpop » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:56 am

Massa wrote:Great to have you back Pud, hope you are well.

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Pudpop! Tears of joy are streaming down my face.

:1990_dancing.gif:

Dejan wrote:Go away

Zenith wrote:I feel like we have had this conversation before. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1860&p=1483366&hilit=takstar#p1483404

I remember! That's why I came back. Couldn't remember the name of the headphones and thought I'd take the opportunity to say hi :)

What's your budget?

Anyway, with the Pro 80 it got to a point where everyone started to realise what a steal they were for $60. Inevitably the price went up and they have now become very hard to find.

There is also good news. Takstar have somehow managed to tweak their Pro 80 even further with their 2017 model; the Pro 82.

Here's a detailed review; https://www.head-fi.org/threads/takstar ... ad.849965/

Massa's Audio Technicas have a great rep and the cans suggested by VVV receive rave reviews too.

I didn't really have a budget in mind but after looking at prices I'd say $200 max, so I think Vava's is out. I'm stuck between the M50x (I've heard a LOT of good about these) and the Takstar. After shiiping it'll be $190 for the AT's and $100 for the Pro82's. Do you think the M50's are worth the price difference?

Also is AliExpress reliable? I haven't used it before so I'm wary.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:15 pm

Pudpop wrote:
I didn't really have a budget in mind but after looking at prices I'd say $200 max, so I think Vava's is out. I'm stuck between the M50x (I've heard a LOT of good about these) and the Takstar. After shiiping it'll be $190 for the AT's and $100 for the Pro82's. Do you think the M50's are worth the price difference?

Also is AliExpress reliable? I haven't used it before so I'm wary.

AliExpress is basically the eBay of China and - just like with eBay - the reliability largely depends on the seller, but generally yes it's reliable. For example, the AliExpress holds on to the money until you have given the green light about having received the item in good shape. I do believe returns could become pricey, then again the Pro 82's quality control is high, so the chances of you having to return it are very slim.

In terms of what they can offer you both earphones go about head to head with one another, with the M50x edging it on the frequencies. If this is important to you, they can also be folded and have a detachable cable.

Strictly in terms of value per buck the 82s are the better choice. However, if something breaks within your warranty period, the M50x is probably the more interesting option as you won't have to ship it back all the way to China and wait for your replacement to arrive.

Edit: just noticed a Top Brand seller named "Music Hulu Store" now has the 82's on sale for just $63 with an additional $5 to ship it to SA. Top Brand seller means you're either shopping from an authorized or directly from the brand itself. Promotion runs for 2 more days.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2802200

If portability and cable modifications are not important, I would do is get two Pro 82's. One backup, just in case it gets to a point where you have to return one. Remember, as long as this promotion runs buying two of these still costs you $50 less than the ATs.

Even if it never gets to that point, there is a good chance you will be able to sell your backup for the price you bought them for, or even with profit, like people did with the Pro 80s after they became hyped.

It's up to you, but honestly I don't think you can do much wrong with either choice. :thumbsup:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks Zenith! I went for the 82's and took advantage of the sale. Like you said, it's so cheap I could buy 2 if I needed to lol. I decided that if I didn't like the 82's I could just sell them and go for the m50s.

Thanks again :)
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Schlandi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:07 am

Pudpop wrote:Hey bitches, long time no vitriolic Wenger Out debate :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:

:lol:

Hi Pudpop :grouphug: welcome back to AgendaWorld :sneaky2:

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:43 pm

Pudpop wrote:Also is GA now GoonerAlexandre?

Yes

In hindsight, should have waited till Auba
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:45 pm

Zenith, I need help.

Is it worth buying high end headphones if I only listen to music through my laptop or would they be wasted on anything other than speakers/vinyl/audiophile set ups?

My laptop has Bang & Olufsen speakers, but I don't know if it's possible for a laptop to produce the fidelity necessary to truly hear audiophile headphones.

Thanks
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Zenith » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:41 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Zenith, I need help.

Is it worth buying high end headphones if I only listen to music through my laptop or would they be wasted on anything other than speakers/vinyl/audiophile set ups?

My laptop has Bang & Olufsen speakers, but I don't know if it's possible for a laptop to produce the fidelity necessary to truly hear audiophile headphones.

Thanks

Your B&O speakers only have influence on your audio when you physically listen through them. This changes as soon as you plug in your headphones.

What's the brand and model of your motherboard? Whilst it's unlikely you're hooked up with garbage, I'm asking just in case as your motherboard's audio chip is responsible for the quality it can produce.

Whilst classic vinyl gives you a fully analog, lossless, warm and mid-range sound, it's not always 'better' per definition. Vinyl tends to struggle with highs and lows; high-pitched frequencies (for example cymbals) can cause crackle/distortion, whilst deep bass between the two channels tends to knock around the needle. Then there is surface noise - an 'issue' which has long since been addressed with the birth of the compact disc. It's all about finding out which music genres sound best on vinyl and which should be listened digitally.

Modern vinyl is often (not always) produced from digital masters, meaning the actual audio is recorded by a digital source. What the listener hears is digital audio dressed up as vinyl. Whilst there are a select amount of fans of this type sound, I think it's fugazy—an effective sales trick to delude ill-informed customers into thinking they are buying true vinyl.

From which digital sources and in which format do you play music, predominantly?
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to The Electronics Area