This Is My Next...

Talk about mobile phones, DVDs, PCs or anything "techy"

This Is My Next...

Postby Hammered Pizza » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:00 pm

A unified thread for any gadgetry that tickles your fancy.

Just post your next gadget (planned/pre-ordered, even your current lineup if you want) so lots of strangers online can judge you for it.
It can be anything, laptop, desktop, phone, tablet, camera - whatever. Post a picture of it if you can find one, maybe explain your reasoning a little.

If you're also looking for a new device, I'm sure some of us will be eager to help you out, or just point you the way of someone who could.
I'm out, pushed before I could jump.
It was fun.

Burn short, burn bright.
Always Arsenal.

My other haunt.
Hammered Pizza
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

This Is My Next...

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:32 pm

I want a laptop, 8gb, 1tb, i7, as cheap as possible. Any suggestions?

Considering this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006OJ4 ... 029&sr=8-3
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Hammered Pizza » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:44 pm

Thought I'd post my own to get the ball rolling.

This Is My Next... Laptop

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga

Windows 8 will give me a big enough reason to upgrade, and you can't deny that the form factor is 'interesting'. It's an 'ultrabook', and is only 17mm thin. Whilst this may seem much thicker than others, it is worth noting that it is a touchscreen (hence the flip), and can be used solely as such by resting it on the keyboard.

And what it'll be replacing...

HP G56-105SA

Here is my current laptop. Not a beautiful thing or a performance beast, purchased just over a year ago with only cost in mind. To be fair, it can handle all of my PC gaming needs (well... Football Manager). Battery life is pretty lacklustre, but it does all I really need at this point.
Last edited by Hammered Pizza on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It was fun.

Burn short, burn bright.
Always Arsenal.

My other haunt.
Hammered Pizza
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Re: This Is My Next...

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:45 pm

I don't even have a phone at the moment :(
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Hammered Pizza » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:I want a laptop, 8gb, 1tb, i7, as cheap as possible. Any suggestions?

Considering this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006OJ4 ... 029&sr=8-3

You won't be disappointed with a Pavillion, but waiting for Windows 8 could be a good option - if you have the patience - it's expected to be released in Q4. What's your budget?
It was fun.

Burn short, burn bright.
Always Arsenal.

My other haunt.
Hammered Pizza
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

This Is My Next...

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:49 pm

Budget is as cheap as possible. I don't really want to spend more than £500 and am sitting tight until i find a bargain!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Hammered Pizza » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:55 pm

This Is My Next... Mobile Phone

Nokia Lumia 900

So far, it looks like this Nokia will be my next phone, but I could keep hold of my current a while yet. Nokia's apps are really tempting - their maps are the best in the business, and their 'Drive' app can work without a network connection. It has a bigger screen than my current handset, and the actual quality of the screen is better too, with TrueBlack technology, AMOLED, and gorilla glass.

And what it'll be replacing...

LG Optimus 7

I'm loving my Optimus 7 right now. Windows Phone is getting some major love from developers right now, and the tiles are brilliant. Only a single core, but runs more smoothly than most dual-core Android handsets. Office is useful, and earning Gamerscore on my phone via Xbox Live is just a little sweetener. Since upgrading to Windows Phone, I really can't see myself looking back.

So... who's next?
It was fun.

Burn short, burn bright.
Always Arsenal.

My other haunt.
Hammered Pizza
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Hammered Pizza » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Budget is as cheap as possible. I don't really want to spend more than £500 and am sitting tight until i find a bargain!

Well your current choice aside, you could get a good laptop (specs really aren't everything) for under £500.

4GB RAM and an i5 core, but this Sony Vaio is still a really great bit of kit.

If you're willing to sit it out though, prices are only going down (and your savings going up). Your call really.
It was fun.

Burn short, burn bright.
Always Arsenal.

My other haunt.
Hammered Pizza
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Hammered Pizza » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:02 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:I don't even have a phone at the moment :(

Got a budget / preferred network / OS preference?

And could you afford a cheap contract, or is it strictly Pay As You Go?
It was fun.

Burn short, burn bright.
Always Arsenal.

My other haunt.
Hammered Pizza
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:52 pm

I built my new PC from scratch last month, all the parts are my final build apart from the graphics card which I will pick up next month.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3

Processor: I5 2500K overclocked to 4.3ghz (Cooled with coolermaster hyper evo 212)

RAM: 8GB Corsair vengeance blue LP

SSD: Corsair force 3 120gb

HDD: Seagate barracuda 500GB

Case: Thermaltake soprano

My current graphics card is a GTX260 which is 3 generations behind so my next one will be a big upgrade.

My mind is on an AMD 7950 or 7870 or one of nvidias new Kepler offerings depending on price, size and power consumption. I have no idea yet what I will get though.

Does anyone have a new AMD card?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:42 pm

I've always had Nvidia, from a Geforce 5200 FX 256 mb in 2003 to a 8800 GTS 640 in 2007.
Untill somewhere back in 2010 when my 8800 GTS died - ofcourse 2 months after my warranthy expired.
Sort of got me pissed off and made me consider to give ATI a shot and bought myself a EAH 5770 1 gb.
This is literally the worst video card i've ever had in my entire life when it comes to price/quality, given the fact I don't even get 70% of the FPS I used to get with my good old 8800 GTS.
Quite strange, since most people seem to agree that ATI's graphic cards are considerably cheaper than Nvidia's when it comes to cards with the same performance rate.
I guess I just got unlucky by buying probably one of the worst cards they have produced, not to mention theres tons of people who seem to have trouble with this card combined with Asus motherboards.
If you consider to buy AMD (ATI) or any other video card, no matter the brand, make sure you read at least 10 reviews on 10 diffirent sites before buying them to prevent making the same mistake I made.
What's your power supply by the way?
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Massa » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:39 pm

You guys are loaded
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Zenith wrote:I've always had Nvidia, from a Geforce 5200 FX 256 mb in 2003 to a 8800 GTS 640 in 2007.
Untill somewhere back in 2010 when my 8800 GTS died - ofcourse 2 months after my warranthy expired.
Sort of got me pissed off and made me consider to give ATI a shot and bought myself a EAH 5770 1 gb.
This is literally the worst video card i've ever had in my entire life when it comes to price/quality, given the fact I don't even get 70% of the FPS I used to get with my good old 8800 GTS.
Quite strange, since most people seem to agree that ATI's graphic cards are considerably cheaper than Nvidia's when it comes to cards with the same performance rate.
I guess I just got unlucky by buying probably one of the worst cards they have produced, not to mention theres tons of people who seem to have trouble with this card combined with Asus motherboards.
If you consider to buy AMD (ATI) or any other video card, no matter the brand, make sure you read at least 10 reviews on 10 diffirent sites before buying them to prevent making the same mistake I made.
What's your power supply by the way?

Corsair VX550W

The 8800 is a legendary card, rated higher than the 9800. It isn't too surprising that it was better than a 5770 as the 5770 is low end but 70% is a bit rough, was it a driver issue? I know the higher end ATI 5 series cards are considered class cards.

I have read endlessly on the new AMD cards, I am just waiting for tomorrow now when some real news of the first kepler cards come out.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hammered Pizza » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Nothing wrong with geekiness :P

So, anyone considering the iPad being their next tablet?
It was fun.

Burn short, burn bright.
Always Arsenal.

My other haunt.
Hammered Pizza
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby TartanRaven » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:31 am

I went with the Nook Tablet, NOT unhappy at all.
Deus Meus Et Omnia
TartanRaven
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Next

Return to The Electronics Area