Laptop not charging properly

Talk about mobile phones, DVDs, PCs or anything "techy"

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Having a bit of trouble getting the laptop to charge, got to fiddle about with the connector till the charge light comes on, nearly threw the damn thing earlier, in the middle of doing something then all of a sudden it dies on me! grrr

Almost 100% sure its the connector on the laptop that the power jack plugs into, anyone got any idea how much this is likely to cost? its a few yrs old now but still a decent machine, (when i dont have charging issues!) Acer Aspire 8930.

Edited after describing prob wrong. :?
Last edited by She_Gunner_Wales on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Re: Laptop not charging properly

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:57 pm

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Having the same problem with my dell
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Maxduke » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:26 pm

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:Having a bit of trouble getting the laptop to charge, got to fiddle about with the connector till the charge light comes on, nearly threw the damn thing earlier, in the middle of doing something then all of a sudden it dies on me! grrr

Almost 100% sure its the power jack, anyone got any idea how much this is likely to cost? its a few yrs old now but still a decent machine, (when i dont have charging issues!) Acer Aspire 8930.

I've had my wire go all messed up so a new 1 was like £20 and that was also an Acer, then about a week after getting a wire the actual inside where you put the charger has gone(Which I think is what you mean?) and I'm just going to buy a new laptop.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks PG lol should have read that before posting its the bit that the power jack plugs into on the laptop itself.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Maxduke wrote:
She_Gunner_Wales wrote:Having a bit of trouble getting the laptop to charge, got to fiddle about with the connector till the charge light comes on, nearly threw the damn thing earlier, in the middle of doing something then all of a sudden it dies on me! grrr

Almost 100% sure its the power jack, anyone got any idea how much this is likely to cost? its a few yrs old now but still a decent machine, (when i dont have charging issues!) Acer Aspire 8930.

I've had my wire go all messed up so a new 1 was like £20 and that was also an Acer, then about a week after getting a wire the actual inside where you put the charger has gone(Which I think is what you mean?) and I'm just going to buy a new laptop.

Yeah its that bit just edited the original post, paid a pretty penny for this machine about 2yrs ago, so ideally dont really want to have to buy another laptop, other than that machine runs a dream.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:36 pm

I had that on my work's DELL computer years ago, they replaced the whole motherboard!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Maxduke » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:36 pm

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:
Maxduke wrote:

Yeah its that bit just edited the original post, paid a pretty penny for this machine about 2yrs ago, so ideally dont really want to have to buy another laptop, other than that machine runs a dream.

Yeah same, can you see any physical damage when you look inside it as mine the actual pin thing inside has gone mis-shaped.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:15 pm

No it dont appear to be damagined & the pin looks pretty central, maybe the whole connector unit insode the housing has been dislodged.
TBH im a little concerned we could be doing more damage than anything else, we do have other internet access at home, 2 desktops in the house, so not as if this is my only form of internet, thankfully.
Just hoping its not going to cost too much to repair, bank acc taking a hammering this month, typical huh, all seems to hit at once!
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Trina » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:32 am

It happened to mine a few years ago, I bought a new charger and it was the same. I ended up having to wiggle the charger until the light came on, then either tape it in position or but a thin book under it. Stopped using the laptop for a while as I got a new one. But got it back out a few months ago. I dont need to do what I said above as when its plugged in it works, but it doesnt charge it. When I take it out the laptop goes off lol.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Return to The Electronics Area