PC versus iMac

Talk about mobile phones, DVDs, PCs or anything "techy"

PC versus iMac

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:41 pm

The time has come for me to replace my desktop and I'm considering switching to a Mac.

How much hassle is it changing from PC to Mac? Is it totally confusing? Anyone here done it?
I know Macs are supposed to be more intuitive to use but when you get a problem is it easy to sort out?
Having used PCs since they were invented I know how to go into the dark recesses of Program Files and sort it out but I wouldn't have a clue with a Mac.

I've been told by 'experts' that you pay about 50% more for a Mac just because it's a Mac, and that continues with servicing and accessories etc. Don't like the sound of that.

I mainly use the desktop for business so it's Microsoft Office/Outlook Express etc. but I need a box with a lot of power because I also edit photos and each photo is around 28MB in size. Obviously that's done in Photoshop.

These are the PCs I was looking at:

Link to PC: http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/busines ... cs=ukbsdt1

These are the Macs:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/s ... amily/imac
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Re: PC versus iMac

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:45 pm

I have a Macbook pro...

Nice bit of kit, but you really only pay for the name and the OS, which can be used on a PC anyway.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby IMF » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:17 pm

Yeah this bod I know from another forum was telling me that there's a list of hardware which is mac compatible. You can build yourself a mac for less than half the price of what a mac costs.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:35 pm

IMF wrote:Yeah this bod I know from another forum was telling me that there's a list of hardware which is mac compatible. You can build yourself a mac for less than half the price of what a mac costs.

My current PC was 'built to order' and I've had constant problems with it so I probably won't go down that route.
This isn't really a money saving exercise anyway, it's more about not being ripped off.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby SE13 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Same mould...

I've been using computers since the early 80's, Windows came along and confused me for years.

Mac came along, and I ain't got the foggiest.

Mac users always back Mac, and I can't recall anyone switching from Windows to Mac and regretting it. I have never operated a Mac, but I was in London a few weeks ago and a mate brought his laptop Mac typething, and to say it was impressive would be an understatement.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:44 pm

SE13 wrote:Same mould...

I've been using computers since the early 80's, Windows came along and confused me for years.

Mac came along, and I ain't got the foggiest.

Mac users always back Mac, and I can't recall anyone switching from Windows to Mac and regretting it. I have never operated a Mac, but I was in London a few weeks ago and a mate brought his laptop Mac typething, and to say it was impressive would be an understatement.

Of the two Mac seem to have much better laptops but as I'm not looking for one it isn't all that relevant.
You're right everyone who has a Mac says they're better than PCs and they'll never go back etc. etc. but I don't know how much of that is just trying to justify their expensive purchase.
Plus it was definitely true for a long time because you couldn't really get PCs with that kind of power and with those ultra high res screens.
These days you can get high res screens for PCs and very powerful PCs that are much faster than Macs.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby SE13 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:09 pm

I'm back down The Smoke in March, and I'm going to ask matey to show me how to operate this mac thingy.

Last time (as there were a lot of different things going on) he just whizzed through it at 100mph, and I just couldn't take anything in, but by hell was the machine quick! It sort of reminded me of being on (say) a 100mb connection with 25+ gb of RAM.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:36 pm

I hate Macs, hate the OS, hate dealing with Apple. It's absolutely true that you pay well over the odds just because of the name. Having said that, PC's can be a hassle when they go wrong as the parts can be from 10 or more different companies, at least with Mac's there's only one neck to wring. Although that's only comparing with custom made desktops. A Mac on average will have less issues on the hardware and software front, an advantage of it being a relatively closed system, and they are suited to the kind of work you mentioned.

If you're really used to Windows, the change of OS is a pain. You might hate it, I do
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:48 am

CynicalGooner wrote:I hate Macs, hate the OS, hate dealing with Apple. It's absolutely true that you pay well over the odds just because of the name. Having said that, PC's can be a hassle when they go wrong as the parts can be from 10 or more different companies, at least with Mac's there's only one neck to wring. Although that's only comparing with custom made desktops. A Mac on average will have less issues on the hardware and software front, an advantage of it being a relatively closed system, and they are suited to the kind of work you mentioned.

If you're really used to Windows, the change of OS is a pain. You might hate it, I do

Jay22 wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:If you're really used to Windows, the change of OS is a pain. You might hate it, I do

Been there, done that. I had to return the macbook I bought because I thought it would be cool. I hated it. Stick with PC, nothing like it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's interesting to hear that not everyone loves Macs.
Usually everyone Mac owner says "Oh you've got to get a Mac they're sooooo much better than PCs, I'd never go back now yadda yadda"
:rolleyes:
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Popey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:30 pm

Office, Outlook = better on a pc
foto, ps etc. = better on a mac

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby nassau_gunner » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:51 pm

I made the switch a year ago and have been very satisfied. Not sure about this huge price difference everyone is talking about. Macs are so much easier to use!! I was initially worried that the advanced computer techniques and tricks being an issue, but if you understand PC's it's like night and day the ease and simplicity of dealing with a Mac. There is some adjustment no doubt, but nothing prohibitive imo.

I supposed it comes down to how computer literate you are and what you use your computer for. If your a casual/recreational computer user (i.e. just the basics) and you're used to PC then it doesn't really matter. Stick with what you know, but if you're a current or former computer geek like myself. Learning a new system is not really a big deal and you will be happy with the intuitive nature of a Mac.
nassau_gunner
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:58 pm

Popey wrote:Office, Outlook = better on a pc

Why is Photoshop better on a Mac?
nassau_gunner wrote:I made the switch a year ago and have been very satisfied. Not sure about this huge price difference everyone is talking about. Macs are so much easier to use!! I was initially worried that the advanced computer techniques and tricks being an issue, but if you understand PC's it's like night and day the ease and simplicity of dealing with a Mac. There is some adjustment no doubt, but nothing prohibitive imo.

I supposed it comes down to how computer literate you are and what you use your computer for. If your a casual/recreational computer user (i.e. just the basics) and you're used to PC then it doesn't really matter. Stick with what you know, but if you're a current or former computer geek like myself. Learning a new system is not really a big deal and you will be happy with the intuitive nature of a Mac.

The price difference is definitely real.
I tested it yesterday comparing a high spec PC with a Mac and the Mac came out at £2,300 for the same spec as a PC that cost about £1,300 including HD monitor.

I take your point about recreational vs geek. I think I'm somewhere between the two.
I'm not geeky enough to be using linux or writing code for web sites etc. but my understanding of Windows is certainly 'better than average' I would say.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Popey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:17 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Popey wrote:Office, Outlook = better on a pc

Why is Photoshop better on a Mac?

nassau_gunner wrote:I made the switch a year ago and have been very satisfied. Not sure about this huge price difference everyone is talking about. Macs are so much easier to use!! I was initially worried that the advanced computer techniques and tricks being an issue, but if you understand PC's it's like night and day the ease and simplicity of dealing with a Mac. There is some adjustment no doubt, but nothing prohibitive imo.

The price difference is definitely real.
I tested it yesterday comparing a high spec PC with a Mac and the Mac came out at £2,300 for the same spec as a PC that cost about £1,300 including HD monitor.

I take your point about recreational vs geek. I think I'm somewhere between the two.
I'm not geeky enough to be using linux or writing code for web sites etc. but my understanding of Windows is certainly 'better than average' I would say.

yeha sry, not ps. What I meant is all the software to edit fotos, movies, webpages etc. the whole thing is also easier to use imo.

but the whole thing with mac and pc is just a case of what you prefer to use. maybe you should go and try a mac in a macstore to see if you can handle them and it its your style if not then stay with pc

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Zedie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:32 pm

BUMP.

Im going through the same situation as Inch was and would be interested to hear what you chose in the end Inch?

I need a new PC in the very near future as my old one is exactly that, OLD. It does the job, but im really looking to future proof myself for the next couple of years or so PC wise. Ive got all the bells and whistles for my current PC so am looking to sink all my money straight into the actual PC and have given myself a budget of around £1000 for a Windows PC.

Thing is, im also thinking to get an Imac for the simplicity and functionality that everyone keeps banging on aboooot.

Im worried that if i buy a Mac, ill loose the functionality that i look for in a PC, i mainly use mine for gaming, UTorrent, as a music centre, movies and tinternet. OK, most of those things are covered, but although i know you can get Utorrent for a Mac, im not sure exactly whether itll work in the same way as PC?

To elaborate, ive got an Iphone 4, got loads of music on it, but those scabby bastards have stopped the ability to make your own ringtones, instead forcing you to buy them.

Things like this make me start thinking ;what else has Apple sabotaed?'

On the flip side, as others have said, you know what your getting and theres one company to kickoff at if your rig goes tits up. If i bought a PC, id be buying from a company that does custom builds (dinopc.co.uk).

Does anyone else know of any reputable independants that wont rip you off?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:23 am

Anyone?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to The Electronics Area