PC Problems

Talk about mobile phones, DVDs, PCs or anything "techy"

Re: PC problems

Postby Gunpowder » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:22 pm

So my dad caused the Crypt0l0cker virus getting in my computer. Anyone had it or know any working solutions? What should I do?
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Maradonna » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:26 pm

Gunpowder wrote:So my dad caused the Crypt0l0cker virus getting in my computer. Anyone had it or know any working solutions? What should I do?

Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Gunpowder » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:32 pm

Throwing the harddisk out of the window has crossed my mind.
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Zenith » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:52 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Gunpowder » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:10 am

^ There is nothing out of ourdinany in my Processes list. Maybe mbam I ran earlier got rid of it, I heard the virus itself is easy to remove. :dontknow:

Doesn't matter now anyway. I'm going to format the PC. I saved my pictures via a program called ShadowExplorer. Unfortunately that didn't work on my FM saves (my biggest lose) and my engireening .pdfs, .ppts ect. I don't have much in computer, it's going to take a while to download all the games etc but I'm okay with it. I rather lose everything in this computer than risk my external HDD.
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby AAIRE99 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:45 pm

pm me if you need help with cryptolocker, f***ing disaster of a thing, wish id seen this earlier i could have helped.

I am on experts-exchange.com and was one of the highest scoring members on MS Exchange Server and Virus/Security categories a couple of months ago.
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Gunpowder » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:38 pm

Dead thread but I'll try my luck anyway. Any idea why I get massive FPS drops in almost everygame I play? All games that occurs in used to work just fine. It's a 4-5 years old pc with AMD Phenom II X6 1090T as cpu, Radeon HD 6870 as gpu
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby pawiel » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:00 am

in the first place i would check cpu and gpu temperature at high load, if they are high it may cause thermal throttling (underclocking because of high temperature), then i would re-apply thermal paste on both and see if it helped
pawiel
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Zenith » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:34 am

What Pawiel said is the most probable cause - especially if you haven't re-applied any thermal paste since acquiring your system 4-5 years ago.

What you'll need;
- a screwdriver to remove and reinstall your CPU cooler
- thermal paste

I'd recommend getting Arctic Silver 5. Should cost about €10 including shipping for a 3.5 grams tube and will cover at least 10 future applications.

Before doing any of the above you want to check your CPU and GPU temperatures first to make sure it's the actual cause (post screenshot if possible).

Download HWMonitor and check the temperatures during idle and load.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Phil71 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:36 am

Anyone having these Sky Go app issues?

They did away with the browser-based viewing option about 6 months ago, and replaced it with a desktop application. It works for some but for others like me :-( it doesn't work. I get various error codes popping up, and continual stuttering. There are all sorts of apparent fixes out there, primarily around CPU use reduction. The new app uses Cisco Videoguard in the background, which can push CPU usage up to 80%! Continually!

None of the fixes work for me. It's pretty frustrating. I use an old (ish) laptop for viewing it when I'm traveling. I can view BBC IPlayer, ITV player, Netflix Amazon TV, and many other online video content providers through a browser. Why do Sky have to be so fking different?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Previous

Return to The Electronics Area