Blackberry Advice

Talk about mobile phones, DVDs, PCs or anything "techy"

Blackberry Advice

Postby SE13 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:26 am

Can anyone recommend these phones?

Wife's contract expires tomorrow, and she's quite keen on either a Blackberry Bold or Blackberry Curve.

Firstly, what's the difference?

Secondly, are they any good?

All comments welcome.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Blackberry Advice

Postby whee » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:34 am

Never owned one mate, so my opinion counts for f**k all in all honesty.

However, I know lots of people who do or more appropriately, have owned them, varying from lads like me who want something a little slick to pull out the pocket, to senior forces officers/businessmen etc.

Largely, they're happy enough with the software. It's the scrolling wheel/Touch screen/general look of the phone that most have complained about.

The most important bloke I know, who has one, used the words "We should have got iPhone's" to describe how he gets on with it.

Get her into a Carphone mate, she'll be able to have a play with a few of the smart phones on the market and find out what she gets on best with.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Swan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:48 am

i have a blackberry pearl just a smaller version of the bold i think they are great and you can get all the apps that i- phone have with a blackberry i'm told..

my next phone will be a blackberry
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Swan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:25 am

ive never used an i-phone but the email and ping options are easy to use and works well for me since i email a lot.. you can even set up your other email accounts to go to your phone, but if you get a lot of spam mail it get get to being a pain in the but..
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby mg86 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:29 am

Jay22 wrote:Have used the curve and it's an excellent phone. Not sure about the curve, so can't compare the two.
:sneaky:
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Leody » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:25 am

whee wrote:Never owned one mate, so my opinion counts for f**k all in all honesty.

However, I know lots of people who do or more appropriately, have owned them, varying from lads like me who want something a little slick to pull out the pocket, to senior forces officers/businessmen etc.

Largely, they're happy enough with the software. It's the scrolling wheel/Touch screen/general look of the phone that most have complained about.

The most important bloke I know, who has one, used the words "We should have got iPhone's" to describe how he gets on with it.

Get her into a Carphone mate, she'll be able to have a play with a few of the smart phones on the market and find out what she gets on best with.

Way I've always thought about it... if you want a phone for email/calling and texting get a blackberry. If you want a phone for entertainment, music, video and useless games get the iPhone.

Personally I don't like the touch screen and I don't use my phone for anything but texting, calling and email... sooooooo I have a blackberry.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Swan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:26 am

Leody wrote:
whee wrote:Never owned one mate, so my opinion counts for f**k all in all honesty.

Way I've always thought about it... if you want a phone for email/calling and texting get a blackberry. If you want a phone for entertainment, music, video and useless games get the iPhone.

Personally I don't like the touch screen and I don't use my phone for anything but texting, calling and email... sooooooo I have a blackberry.

you can get the same aps for i-phone for a blackberry
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:28 am

I prefer the email service on the iPhone to the Blackberry, i also prefer to txt using the touch screen, much faster than on the miniscule keyboard you get on the BB.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Leody » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Swan wrote:you can get the same aps for i-phone for a blackberry

That may be true, but I wouldn't care nor would I know...

I have a computer for apps, because it can run them properly and I have a phone for texting and calling and reading emails... and responding to emails on occasion.

I've personally never seen the use of half-assed applications on phones that don't really do much... :dontknow:

I've tried plenty of them and even used some for a few weeks, never really found any I couldn't live without. Or didn't prefer to live without.

Call me old fashioned, I don't know...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Rockin' Robin » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:24 pm

So my Nokia on contract broke, and I have a year left, so my dad gave me his old Blackberry, I put my sim card in and it's working fine.

But I'm trying to work BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) and it's quite confusing. My friend added me, but I didn't get a request? So I've added her, but it's been pending for a while and I'm sure she would have accepted it by now.

I'm not even sure if it's actually working, or if I'm on it but it's just actually... inactive?
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Leody » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:31 am

Not really sure where your problem would be... :dontknow:

I've used it quite a bit with my Storm, and I always just add the persons PIN and boom its set. You should have gotten a request from her right away if it was set up right. And as far as I know it is always active. And I don't know of any phone option to turn it off..
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Rockin' Robin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Guess I can't use it then. :(
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Leody » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:43 am

Check under Options > Security Options > Firewall and make sure that "PIN" isn't being blocked.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby IMF » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:02 am

I've got an old beat up pearl with an O2 sim in it. Apparently you have to activate blackberry services with your service provider to use PIN, 3G etc.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge