a new phone

Talk about mobile phones, DVDs, PCs or anything "techy"

Re: a new phone

Postby WelshGunner » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:21 pm

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:TBH i think they pretty nifty, there dont seem to be alot of difference to how the android is set up on the windows phones, seems easier imo, We have just upgraded to Windows 8 on the pc and im finding it so much better! i tend to use my android tablet to access the internet anyway and i think ive found the transition to windows 8 easier because of phone & tablet use, rarely use the desktop pc now unless its for graphics, or using microsoft office (which atm am between here, FB & paperwork) head fried! :dizzy:

Think I'm gonna go for the HTC one, well see what kinda deals are out there on it anyway.
I've got windows 7 on my laptop at the moment, is 8 a big improvement ? Worth getting ?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
WelshGunner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Git » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Don't waste your money on 8.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby WelshGunner » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:00 pm

Got the HTC one in the end, what a fantastic phone. Only had it a few days, but Omg-I'm smitten.
Definitely the best phone I've ever owned or used.
Build quality is superb, better than anything else on the market including the iPhone 5.
Camera especially in low light is top quality.
If you get a chance buy it ! You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
WelshGunner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Est83 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:47 pm

I was looking at the HTC one. The girlfriend and I are due upgrades at the end of the month, she's pretty set on getting an iPhone and I will probably end up going along with that... but we're both technophobes and haven't really got a clue!

What seperates Samsung and iPhones form the rest? Everything other than Wackberry is fast online, everything gets apps.

Not really bothered enough to catch up with ten years of technology in my spare time so I'll just ask whoever reads this ;) what's the big f**king deal with iPhones!?!?!
Last edited by Est83 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Youngie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Just buy a Nexus so you can torrent..
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Massa » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Est83 wrote:I was looking at the HTC one. The girlfriend and I are due upgrades at the end of the month, she's pretty set on getting an iPhone and I will probably end up going along with that... but we're both technophobes and haven't really got a clue!

What seperates Samsung and iPhones form the rest? Everything other than Wackberry is fast online, everything gets apps.

Not really bothered enough to catch up with ten years of technology in my spare time so I'll just ask whoever reads this ;) what's the big f**king deal with iPhones!?!?!

Easy to use, great software, looks sexy as hell, what's not to like? :smart:
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby m4lcs67 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:17 pm

I am due an upgrade in a couple of months as my contract is soon to end and I am looking at the Samsung Galaxy S3. The S4 is out very soon, so the prices of the S3 should start to fall. I am not bothered about having the latest handset and the prices of the new Galaxy will be too much. I only want to be paying a maximum of £23 per month. Have already been checking out prices and I should be able to get what I want at that price I am willing to pay. Getting a lot of info off moneysavingexpert.com. Martin Lewis's website. Some really informative stuff on there.
Malc
m4lcs67
Michael Thomas

Postby Est83 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:31 pm

Massa wrote:
Est83 wrote:I was looking at the HTC one. The girlfriend and I are due upgrades at the end of the month, she's pretty set on getting an iPhone and I will probably end up going along with that... but we're both technophobes and haven't really got a clue!

Easy to use, great software, looks sexy as hell, what's not to like? :smart:

They all look the same to me :lol: although the new HTC looks pretty slick.

Would you say it's more to do with it being user friendly than anything else then?

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Massa » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:39 pm

Alot of people with iPhones (me included) have other Apple products that you can link it with and do various cool things. I'd also say the App Store is wider than Android, and I find the internet much smoother on an iPhone. Plus there is FaceTime & iMessage which you can use to contact other iPhone users (me)

Basically, get an iPhone!!
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Zedie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Is there anyone with a Samsung S3 that can let me know if they have a face time equivalent or imessaging equivalent? I find both functions really handy, but can't really bare apple anymore (no real innovation for years now, still charge top whack for slightly updated tech and people go nuts for it!).

Also really disappointed with the latest announcements regarding the S4, promised a lot, but apparently a lot of the really standout features got shelved at the last minute, although its still v high spec.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:54 pm

:lol:

My brother's an iPhone user and he mentioned the App store and linking the products. He's more than up to date and he reccommends them highly.

The Windows phones looks pretty smart though.

http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one/

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Massa » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:00 pm

HTC's suck
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Est83 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:09 pm

I heard their new phones are pretty damn good.

Made a mistake last time by going for Blackberry... been stuck with it for two years!!! So will definitely do some thinking about this upgrade.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Massa » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:44 pm

Impossible to wrong with an iPhone
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby m4lcs67 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:19 am

I must say I have never bought into the Apple thing. I have a couple of friends who work in IT and they say that their products are vastly overrated and over priced.
Hell, it isn't my money. I am looking for value for money at the end of the day and spec for spec the Samsung Galaxy S3 knocks the iphone into a cocked hat and you don't have to pay a silly upfront cost.
£100 for the handset, then £35 for the top tarriff over 2 years??? There must be some people out there with more money than sense.
All I can say is that Steve Jobs did a very good marketing job making Apple one of the most successful tech companies (blimey they have more money than the US government), but there are numerous other companies out there that produce equally good gear for a fraction of the cost. I am not bothered if it has the Apple logo on it, in fact that is more than likely going to put me off. It is quality and value for money that matter to me.
Malc
m4lcs67
Michael Thomas

PreviousNext

Return to The Electronics Area