Need a new gaming rig

Talk about mobile phones, DVDs, PCs or anything "techy"

Need a new gaming rig

Postby Yorkyblue » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:23 pm

Anyone know where is decent for a highish end PC these days? Wanting something with an RTX 3070 but with all the snipers as soon as they are on sale makes it a problem for stock when coming to pre built stuff. Cant work out if the prices are good what I'm seeing.

Generally seeing around 2k for this when messing with custom builds. Any advice?

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i9-10850K, 10x 3.60GHz
COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Slim
FANS3x: be quiet! Pure Wings 2, 140mm
MAINBOARD: ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4, S. 1200
GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
MEMORY: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000
SSD: 500 GB | Crucial P1
HARD DRIVE: 4 TB | Western Digital WD Blue SATA III
POWER SUPPLY: UNIT750 Watt 80 PLUS BRONZE | Enermax MarbleBron
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Home
WI-FI: Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I, 2.4GHz/5GHz WLAN, Bluetooth 5.1 LE, PCIe x1
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: Need a new gaming rig

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:34 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:Anyone know where is decent for a highish end PC these days? Wanting something with an RTX 3070 but with all the snipers as soon as they are on sale makes it a problem for stock when coming to pre built stuff. Cant work out if the prices are good what I'm seeing.

Generally seeing around 2k for this when messing with custom builds. Any advice?

An i9 wtf lol, I've only got an i5.

Mate don't you build your own?

You save money on building your own or finding someone good who can build it for you if you buy the parts?
Even if you take it to a PC shop (make sure he's good) and pay someone some change to build it with the parts you supply.
Buying a PC ready made for the parts you want is going to be lethal cost wise.

Tbf the only tricky bit is making sure you do the Processor correctly when sticking the fan on top of it, but apart from that PC building is rlatively easy, you just follow the instructions and plug in the ports........... although if your not confident, don't wing it because you can brick your whole PC if you don't do it right.

So yeah my advice is get the parts and then find someone to build your custom build.

Even if they charge you £100 it will still work out much cheaper, buying a ready built PC will never have all the good stuff you want to choose and usually they'll cut a corner somewhere in storage or some other area.

Custom build is the way to go.

PS - just one note of advice, personally I'd buy two 2 TB rather than one 4 TB, anything over 2 TB crosses the format threshold so isn't just a simple plug and play.
It can still be done but you can get compatibilty issues with anything over 2 TB hence why getting 2x 2 TB would be my choice to completely swerve that potential issue.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:10 pm

Dejan said to get one of these:

Works really well with his tv apparently
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Yorkyblue » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:46 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:Anyone know where is decent for a highish end PC these days? Wanting something with an RTX 3070 but with all the snipers as soon as they are on sale makes it a problem for stock when coming to pre built stuff. Cant work out if the prices are good what I'm seeing.

An i9 wtf lol, I've only got an i5.

Mate don't you build your own?

You save money on building your own or finding someone good who can build it for you if you buy the parts?
Even if you take it to a PC shop (make sure he's good) and pay someone some change to build it with the parts you supply.
Buying a PC ready made for the parts you want is going to be lethal cost wise.

Tbf the only tricky bit is making sure you do the Processor correctly when sticking the fan on top of it, but apart from that PC building is rlatively easy, you just follow the instructions and plug in the ports........... although if your not confident, don't wing it because you can brick your whole PC if you don't do it right.

So yeah my advice is get the parts and then find someone to build your custom build.

Even if they charge you £100 it will still work out much cheaper, buying a ready built PC will never have all the good stuff you want to choose and usually they'll cut a corner somewhere in storage or some other area.

Custom build is the way to go.

PS - just one note of advice, personally I'd buy two 2 TB rather than one 4 TB, anything over 2 TB crosses the format threshold so isn't just a simple plug and play.
It can still be done but you can get compatibilty issues with anything over 2 TB hence why getting 2x 2 TB would be my choice to completely swerve that potential issue.

I've already got an i7 but want another PC for another room in the house. This one only has a GTX 1080 so want to upgrade completely and go (kind of) all out while I'm at it rather than just upgrade this.

I've always been put off building myself in case I brick it lol. I don't really know anyone who can do it for me either which is why I'm more looking at custom builds to get what I want, even though I'll pay more.

Interesting what you say about storage. I'll take that into account.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:09 am

Yorkyblue wrote:I've always been put off building myself in case I brick it lol. I don't really know anyone who can do it for me either which is why I'm more looking at custom builds to get what I want, even though I'll pay more.

Interesting what you say about storage. I'll take that into account.

Literally the only way you could brick the Mother board is by not doing the Processor bit right.
The two most common ways of fkin it up is not putting the processor in the slot the right way round, there's a little triangle on the corner of it which needs to be matched up with the one on the board, get that bit wrong like I almost did once and instant death follows.
Then its putting the cooler sealant on the processor before you attach the fan cooler on top of it, that bits easy if you watch a video of how to do it.
The rest you just need to read the MOBO manual and it tells you what slots to plug everything into, which is easy if you take your time.

Just make sure your battery has enough wattage for the GPU card you want to use, I believe you listed 700w?
Look up the recommended wattage for the GPU and surpass it by 100w so you have head room.

I've built around 4 PC's ........... I've bricked one Motherboard by forcing the RAM sticks in the wrong way round which damaged the slot so the I had to throw away the whole board and return the damaged stick (thankfully got it replaced).
Another time I let this idiot in a PC shop of all places do a MOBO Bios flash update and the idiot bricked it, I knew he had bricked it when I watched him do it, the look of terror on his face when he was trying to talk his way out of it.

As for the storage Its to do with not being able to use the MBR format that we use for all other storage less than 2 TB.
I've listed 3 article clips explaining what the issues can be, if your booting from an SSD and only using the 4 TB for storage then you should be ok, but I've always avoided it so never tried it.

"This article discusses the manner in which Windows supports hard disks that have a storage capacity of more than 2 TB and explains how to initialize and partition disks to maximize space usage.
In order for an operating system to fully support storage devices that have capacities that exceed 2 terabytes (2 TB, or 2 trillion bytes), the device must be initialized by using the GUID Partition Table (GPT) partitioning scheme. This scheme supports addressing of the full range of storage capacity. If the user intends to start the computer from one of these large disks, the system's base firmware interface must use the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) and not BIOS."

"Why does my 4TB hard drive only shows 2TB? This is mainly because the 4TB hard disk is initialized to be MBR, which only supports 2TB hard drive at most. Thus, you can only use 2TB space, and the rest capacity is shown as unallocated space."

"Windows can only boot from GPT on UEFI-based computers running 64-bit versions of Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and corresponding server versions. All versions of Windows 10, 8, 7, and Vista can read GPT drives and use them for data—they just can't boot from them without UEFI."

Basically you need to convert it to GPT format rather than MBR, the only issues you may encounter is if your trying to copy any older data that is only MBR compatible or if your trying to boot your OS with it.
As I said I've always avoided it but things have moved on now and maybe it would be fine?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Return to The Electronics Area