The Bendtner Thread

Re: The Bendtner Thread

Postby Fordy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:01 am

gzagee wrote:
Fordy wrote:yep he did well again

not great in parts to be honest but he made a big difference to how the team played

people showed spend more time asking why RVP is so wank the last few weeks and dont say he scored i could have put that in

Fordy, RvP has been carrying the major scoring and creative threat for months. He goes a little off the boil and you're saying he's w*nk. I think it's long overdue that others should be carrying the threat.

Jheeeeeeez man. :rolleyes:

sorry i did not put my point across very well

i mean every time bendy puts a foot wrong every one as a go but for the last few games rvp as done nothing yet no one says anything

rvp is class and is one of the best players you have my point was, imo in the last month bendy as played as well as RVP
Fordy

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:13 am

Fordy wrote:
gzagee wrote:

not great in parts to be honest but he made a big difference to how the team played

people showed spend more time asking why RVP is so wank the last few weeks and dont say he scored i could have put that in

Fordy, RvP has been carrying the major scoring and creative threat for months. He goes a little off the boil and you're saying he's w*nk. I think it's long overdue that others should be carrying the threat.

i mean every time bendy puts a foot wrong every one as a go but for the last few games rvp as done nothing yet no one says anything

rvp is class and is one of the best players you have my point was, imo in the last month bendy as played as well as RVP

Then effectively you agree with us.
We're saying that Bendtner gets a disproportionate amount of criticism for the performances he puts in whilst other players seem to get away with murder.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fordy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:15 am

Inchpractice wrote:
Fordy wrote:
gzagee wrote:

Then effectively you agree with us.
We're saying that Bendtner gets a disproportionate amount of criticism for the performances he puts in whilst other players seem to get away with murder.

thats what i meant mate and yes agree
Fordy

Postby arseman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:50 am

Nick misses loads of chances in a game we won 4-0.....but in a game where we're 1-0 down, he comes on and makes a difference.....

Well done my boy.... :thumbsup:
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StLGooner » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:31 pm

The one thing you can't fault Nick on is working hard. On that first goal, he swung and missed, (which confused the defender), still worked hard to get around him and get the ball, take a touch, pass it off a defender which bounces to Shava to set up RvP. I'm sure he planned it like that too. :rofll: :clap:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby dubgooner » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:41 pm

I hope people are starting to see the importance of Nik B to the team… you can’t always measure a strikers input only in goals. It was great to see two Arsenal players attacking the same ball from a set piece… quite often no one attacks the ball! It was great to see Arsenal match Hull for strength and in the air… despite Hull’s best attempts not to allow that.
dubgooner

Postby Fabrestuta » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Since people are going to give Bendy a break how about booing Diaby? I am convinced the man is colour blind because he couldn't find a team mate with a pass if he was standing beside him.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby peter_spain » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:51 pm

Wll boys, I cannot understand your excesive criticism to Nick. I think he'll be great, very good skills, great header and hard shoot. He's tall and has good movements too, Nick has everything a striker must have. And if he has scored lots of goals before, why can't he score now easily? Well, he's only 20!!! I feel shame when people booing Bendy.
I'm from spain and something similar happened with Gonzalo Higuain, Real Madrid striker. He had great movements and very good skills but he failed lots of clear chances, people began to say: this boy can't play for Real...and now Pipita Higuain is with Robben and Lass Diarra, the best player in the squad.
peter_spain
Michael Thomas

Postby ArsenesRedandWhite » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:26 pm

Emile Heskey is never usually that prolific, but everybody and their mom wanted to sign in January for what he can still bring to the team: a presence. He holds up play to bring others in and gives defenders a horrible time fighting for the ball. Weren't there even rumours that Liverpool wanted him back?

Bendtner is our presence in games when we need one. It's better than having no choice but to put two delicate strikers in in a tough away game.
ArsenesRedandWhite
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:00 pm

I am a prophet. Bendy gets booed then scores an absolute cracker. Next on the boo list should be Diaby, if he gets booed enough he might be able to pass to someone on his own team.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby gzagee » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:16 pm

Another promising performance from Lefty's mate.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:14 pm

I wanted to post a very interesting article i just read, i hope it puts things into perspective...

If you read a lot of blog posts and articles about Nicklas Bendtner everything will tell you that he is an awful striker. If you happened to watch Arsenal's matches against Roma or Blackburn you may have seen with your very own eyes what Nicklas has to offer. I myself have even been particularly scathing towards the young Dane. After his petulant performance against Burnley in the Carling Cup, I wrote a fake letter from Nike to Bendtner that ordered him to stop wearing his pink Nike boots as he was tainting their reputation. However, in the past few months the Dane's performances have began to reassure me that he really is the real deal.

Bendtner's statistics are surprisingly good. This season he has scored 12 goals, as many as Emmanuel Adebayor. It is true that Bendtner has made 11 more appearances than the Togolese, but 16 of these have been from the bench. Some of Bendtner's goal have also been vital, last minutes winners at home against Bolton and Dynamo Kiev were priceless.

This season pundits and journalists alike have been waxing lyrical about a certain young Villa striker, Gabriel Agbonlahor. But, you guessed it, Nicklas Bendtner has in fact scored more than the Englishman. In 40 appearances (39 starts) Agbonlahor has scored 11 goals, compare that to Bendtner who in 39 appearances (with only 23 starts) has scored 12 goals. Agbonlahor is also a year older that the Dane. Bendtner is still only 21, especially young for a Big Four striker that gets as many appearances and goals as he does. Looking at the ages and records of Adebayor, Bendtner's ahead of the curve. Considering Bendtner was only 20 last season, his tally of 9 goals was impressive especially goals against Tottenham, Villa and Liverpool, one of which being a winner, two being equalisers. When Adebayor was 22 at Arsenal (older than Bendtner is now) he could only salvage 4 goals. At 23, Adebayor's season tally was 12 goals, the same number Bendtner has for this season, at only 21.

Bendtner's new found "hustle" (to use an Americanism) has also benefitted the team. Look no further than Arsenal's equaliser at Hull in the FA Cup. After an embarrassing air shot, he chased down the ball crossing it to Arshavin who pulled it back for Van Persie to hammer home. In all competitions Bendtner also has 4 assists to his name. His aerial threat is also incredibly useful. In the absence of Adebayor he has provided a target man and while his heading is sometimes erratic he is capable of some top quality ones, like his goal at Newcastle this weekend.

Bendtner's eye for a pass has also been something that has gone unnoticed. He created Andre Oojier's own goal against Blackburn with a threaded through ball to Walcott, he set up Adebayor's goal away at West Ham with a beautiful ball deep from inside his own half and finally away at Newcastle Van Persie should have opened the scoring after a perfectly floated ball from the Dane. Marauding runs have also become a feature of his game and more and more we can see Bendtner beating a handful players at a time. While admittedly these don't always pay off, it shows that Bendtner does have that ability and that it just needs to be honed.

Much has been made of Bendtner's supposed over-confidence and arrogance. Personally, I get more and more frustrated by this perception. Much of this stems from a mistranslated interview Bendtner did in Denmark. "I should be playing every minute of every game," was the most quoted misquote. While Bendtner's ego is certainly bigger than the likes of Gael Clichy and Cesc Fabregas, I wouldn't say its bigger than those of Robin Van Persie or Emmanuel Adebayor. Maybe Van Persie and Adebayor have earned that right, but it pains me to see Bendtner, at his age, vilified for fairly tenuous incidents.

These comments of arrogance and over-confidence are somewhat surprising as I think its clear the obstacle preventing Bendtner from taking more of his chances is in fact confidence. Looking at the games where Bendter has scored, its clear h
is confidence in himself soars. A cameo appearance from the Dane away at Hull saw him slot the third Arsenal goal and smash the post. An early goal at West Brom lead to an expert finish for his second and Arsenal's third as well as some classy runs and nothing but the width of the post preventing him from a hat-trick. I'm adamant that had Bendtner been played in by Van Perise against Newcastle, he would have slotted a second goal. Bendtner's plethora of missed chances against Roma and Blackburn stemmed out of a lack of confidence from previous missed chances. This coupled with the crowd's unforgiving moans and groans doesn't help him.

The most important factor is that Bendtner has time on his side. Wenger has seen many a young striker rise up through the ranks and his belief in Bendtner is unwavering. As Wenger said "I've seen players miss chances before when they are young and then once they start to score they quickly get impressive." I accept that Bendtner's performances can be frustrating, but I'm confident that he will become a top player. In a sense the prodigious nature of Fabregas' rise at Arsenal has been detrimental for other younger players. Arsenal fans are desperate to compare every young talent to Fabregas and it is possible that no one will ever match up. The fans need to cut Bendtner more slack, step back and take a closer look at his goal scoring record. I believe in Bendtner and you should too.

Andrew McPhail

http://timesonline.typepad.com/fanzine_ ... belie.html

I highlighted some bits in bold because these IN my opinion are things he gets stick for...
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby arseman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:03 am

Brilliant article.....I lost count of the number of aerial challenges he won on Saturday, but it was quite impressive the way he plucked balls out of the air.
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cheese » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:21 am

Nice on Gunngunn. :thumbsup:

It's as if i wrote this paragraph... It was the Burnley game that really wound me up and it took me a while to actually see Bendtner do anything good.
Let's hope a few people read this and take note. As I have too.

If you read a lot of blog posts and articles about Nicklas Bendtner everything will tell you that he is an awful striker. If you happened to watch Arsenal's matches against Roma or Blackburn you may have seen with your very own eyes what Nicklas has to offer. I myself have even been particularly scathing towards the young Dane. After his petulant performance against Burnley in the Carling Cup, I wrote a fake letter from Nike to Bendtner that ordered him to stop wearing his pink Nike boots as he was tainting their reputation. However, in the past few months the Dane's performances have began to reassure me that he really is the real deal
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby arseman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:23 am

I think the turning point was the late winner agianst Bolton....prior to that he looked lazy and disinterested at times, looked like he couldn't be bothered....... over the last few months he's worked hard for the team ,even when things haven't been going right for him (Blackburn?)
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to 52. Nicklas Bendtner