Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill to wait on Nicklas Bendtner

Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill to wait on Nicklas Bendtner

Postby Hammered Pizza » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:34 am

BBC SPORT wrote:Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill says he will wait until the end of the season before deciding whether to sign Nicklas Bendtner on a permanent deal.

The 24-year-old Denmark international signed from Arsenal on a season-long loan in August 2011 and has since scored seven goals in 26 games.

"I'm very pleased, he's doing very well," O'Neill told BBC Newcastle.

"We have not entered into any discussions at all, let's see what the end of the season brings."

O'Neill added: "While we are improving as a team, we are not Arsenal at the moment, and he will have been used to - at a team like Arsenal - being able to retain the ball for good spells of games."

Bendtner has had a mixed spell on and off the field at the Stadium of Light, with criticism from fans for aspects of his play added to an arrest and charge of damaging vehicles against him that was later dropped.

He also suffered a facial injury that forced him to don a protective mask, following fears he may have lost his sight.

However a run of four goals in eight games, including a penalty that earned a point in the derby with Newcastle United, has brought the Dane into prominence under O'Neill's tutelage.

"While Nicklas will have a few detractors who says he doesn't do this, and doesn't do that, actually we're getting something out of him, and he's responding," said the Northern Irishman.

"He wants to be top class, but there are certain things you have to do in a football game to make you that.

"I thought his performance against Manchester City was excellent, really excellent."

To be fair, I wouldn't mind him going - just as long as we get a decent replacement. Sunderland aren't exactly short on money, so hopefully we'll be able to get a decent fee if they go for him.
I'm out, pushed before I could jump.
It was fun.

Burn short, burn bright.
Always Arsenal.

My other haunt.
Hammered Pizza
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Re: Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill to wait on Nicklas Bendtn

Postby mg86 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:00 pm

One of our priorities this summer needs to be freeing up wages by selling Bendtner, Vela, Chamakh, Denilson, Almunia, Squillaci and Arshavin.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:04 pm

I think we've seen enough of Bendy now to know what he can do and what he can't do.
He's still improving but not at a particularly rapid rate so I don't expect him to be setting the league on fire in a couple of years' time.
He is what he is and he doesn't fit into our system any more, besides he wouldn't be happy on the bench behind RVP and his off field antics show no sign of improving.

mg86 wrote:One of our priorities this summer needs to be freeing up wages by selling Bendtner, Vela, Chamakh, Denilson, Almunia, Squillaci and Arshavin.

/thread.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:03 pm

mg86 wrote:One of our priorities this summer needs to be freeing up wages by selling Bendtner, Vela, Chamakh, Denilson, Almunia, Squillaci and Arshavin.

And i would not like to know how much their wages total.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Return to 52. Nicklas Bendtner