Wenger Wants Bendtner To Stay...For Now

Wenger Wants Bendtner To Stay...For Now

Postby Trequartista » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:33 am

Arsene Wenger has reassured Nicklas Bendtner that he has a significant role outlined for him in Arsenal's future.

The 22-year-old recently voiced his frustration at his lack of first-team football since recovering from a groin injury that had kept him sidelined for the majority of the season.

Bendtner had hinted that he may leave the Emirates in search of regular football but the Arsenal chief does not seem likely to sanction such a move.

The Danish international was left out of the squad that beat Everton on Sunday but Wenger claims it was due to a slight injury setback, rather than his spiky comments.

"He was not in the squad today because he had a little groin problem and I left him at home," said Wenger.

And the manager insisted he still had a future at the club when asked.

"Yes, for the length of his contract - that is three more years," he added.

"I want him to stay. I have known him since he was 16-years-old and I have a strong rapport with him.

"I like him as a player and a person, even if I do not agree with every statement. Overall I want him to stay and be part of the group."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 67,00.html
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Re: Wenger Wants Bendtner To Stay...For Now

Postby mg86 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:35 am

Hopefully this doesn't signal the possibility of Bendy being off at the end of the year. In that case though I would def try and hold on to Vela.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:53 am

Where does the '......for now' come into it?
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Trequartista » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:59 am

When he mentioned that he wanted him to be an arsenal player until the end of his contract, its hardly a ringing endorsment of his desire to make him into a key figure in the Arsenal team for years to come. I expect he's just giving Bendtner a kick up the bum and attempting to bring him back down to earth.
Leno
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ProudGooner » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:44 am

I dont think he was dropped today because of any injury.

I think Wenger was pretty pissed off with him and this was probably an internal diciplinary action. I agree with it 100%.

I think Bendtner is a f***ing idiot. We know he has a big ego but sorry this outburst was just way out of line. Wenger is sending him a good message i.e. if you want to get back into the team you wont do that by talking to the press and bad mouthing the club. You can only do that by keeping you big gob shut and performing on the pitch.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:23 am

Strange he would mention the contract.

Looks like there WAS more to this than the B52 fanclub would have you know
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:15 am

ProudGooner wrote:I think Bendtner is a f***ing idiot. We know he has a big ego but sorry this outburst was just way out of line.

Really?
How do we know that? From fake interviews and the Daily Fail?

CynicalGooner wrote:Strange he would mention the contract.

Looks like there WAS more to this than the B52 fanclub would have you know

Firstly, you have to understand the chip on Wenger's shoulder about contracts to read between the lines on this one.
Every time there's a transfer window and he's asked if someone's about to leave AW always replies "No this player is under CONTRACT at Arsenal Football Club so he is not going anywhere."
At which point the hack says "But he looks really upset and he spoke to a French radio station blah blah." then AW always says "If a player is UNDER CONTRACT he cannot leave the club. He is an employee of AFC and that's all there is to it."

Basically he's disappointed that players who are still under contract are constantly linked with other clubs. He's (unsuccessfully) trying to convince the media to respect players contracts and not link them with any other clubs until their contract is about to run out.
That's why he mentions the contract, it's not an indication of how he feels towards Bendtner at all, he's just having another go at the journos.
If you watch a few press conferences you understand how it works.
I really wish people would bother to spend the £3.50 a month to get to know our manager and our players, because if they did they would never say that Bendtner is arrogant or Song is thick or whatever the accusation this week is.
They would also hear the entire conference with AW rather than the manipulated and edited excerpts that turn up in the tabloid press and on Sky Sports.

And by the way, don't confuse the 'B52 fan club' as you put it with someone trying to educate fans on why they should never take media headlines at face value.
It doesn't matter who the player is, the message is don't believe the hype.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:19 am

ARSHENAL wrote:When he mentioned that he wanted him to be an arsenal player until the end of his contract, its hardly a ringing endorsment of his desire to make him into a key figure in the Arsenal team for years to come. I expect he's just giving Bendtner a kick up the bum and attempting to bring him back down to earth.

How does that give him a kick up the bum?

"We're going to let you go in 3 years so you better buck your ideas up laddy."

"Oh ok, well in two and a half years I'll start working hard in training then."

If the boss wants to get rid of a player a) he never tells the media beforehand and b) he goes at the first available window, in this case January.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Trequartista » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:52 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ARSHENAL wrote:When he mentioned that he wanted him to be an arsenal player until the end of his contract, its hardly a ringing endorsment of his desire to make him into a key figure in the Arsenal team for years to come. I expect he's just giving Bendtner a kick up the bum and attempting to bring him back down to earth.

How does that give him a kick up the bum?

"We're going to let you go in 3 years so you better buck your ideas up laddy."

"Oh ok, well in two and a half years I'll start working hard in training then."

If the boss wants to get rid of a player a) he never tells the media beforehand and b) he goes at the first available window, in this case January.

Well IMO it reminds Bendy on how hard it can be to just leave the club when under contract, as Cesc found out, and that hes here for the time being and needs to work his way back into contention. I dont think Wenger wants to get rid of Bendter either, just wants him to focus his desires of fist XI football through the right channels, instead of mentioning wanting away. Its not really media hype either, the quotes were taken from AWs comments after the Everton game which are plain for all to see on arse.com I just think its a bit of mind games.
Leno
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:56 pm

AW also said that Bendy never said he wanted to leave...

So yes, it was media hype.

Bendtner is frustrated at the lack of chances, just like ANY player would be, but he doesn't want to leave, and the quotes were massively out of context, just like the media does all the time to sensationalize a nothing storye, this is a nothing story getting undue attention.

Oh look, AW agrees

By Giuseppe Muro

Arsène Wenger has played down media speculation that Nicklas Bendtner is unhappy with life at Arsenal.

Reports had suggested Bendtner was concerned over his perceived lack of football since returning from a groin injury that plagued him for much of the past year. But Wenger says that is perfectly normal and insists that all players want to be starting on a weekly basis.

The Dane scored at Manchester City and Newcastle after returning to action but he wasn’t in Sunday’s squad at Everton, news that ramped up the speculation. Wenger called for calm after the 2-1 win and stressed that he expects Bendtner to stay at Arsenal.

“I have known Nicklas since he was 16 years old and I have a good rapport and good communication with him,” said Wenger. “I want him to stay.

“I like him as a player and as a person. Even if I do not necessarily agree with all his statements, I want him to stay and be part of the group.

“It is very difficult when you meet a player that says he doesn’t want to play more when he doesn’t play. There is nothing really special in that.”

The international break is now upon us and Wenger expects Bendtner to miss Denmark’s game against Czech Republic on Wednesday. However he admits he will not have the final say on his inclusion.

“He was not in the squad against Everton because he had a little groin problem and I left him at home. I don’t know [whether he will be part of the Danish national squad].

“They can call him up and check his condition. I would prefer him not to go. He would prefer to stay as well.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... xaggerated
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:22 pm

I don't think too much can be read into him mentioning the length of Bendtner's contract. Like Inch said, he's the same with every contract, including his own.

Players who seemed to be dead certs to join us (i.e. Ryan Babel) apparently chose not to join us because he wouldn't commit beyond his contract, but even that wasn't enough pressure to get him to say "relax, I want to stay beyond the contract, we will sort something out"... it will always be a case of "there is x amount of years left on the contract, that's that!" He'll only ever mention plans beyond the end of the contract (his own or a player's) IF negotiations are taking place to extend the contract.

His whole point of mentioning the contract was basically him saying "of course he's in our plans, why would we sign him for a contract that still has three mroe years to run if we didn't plan on keeping him". Wenger talk, we should all be fluent by now guys!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Popey » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:06 pm

french article who links him to lazio.

http://www.francefootball.fr/FF/breves2 ... lazio.html

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Popey » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:08 pm

NICKLAS BENDTNER has been told there is no chance of him leaving Arsenal following a cheeky loan request from Lazio

ok. its the sun... :doh:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... Lazio.html

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:20 pm

Bendtner is our future, he goes nowhere
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gzagee » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:22 pm

Dunno about the authenticity of this author's claims but here goes:

Bendtner illegally tapped-up, Arsenal fear

Arsenal are worried about Nicklas Bendtner being the subject of tapping-up by Champions League finalists Bayern Munich.

It is believed that Bayern, who have admitted their interest in Bendtner on record publicly recently, made contact with Nicklas Bendtner’s representatives (including his father) to make their interest known and gave details as to the terms that would be offered by the Germans.

The first suggestions that tapping-up took place were first mentioned to me a few months ago, and after talking to a few well informed people about this happening, the broad consensus seems to be that is did take place and Arsenal are less than happy about it, especially considering the issues with Barcelona and Cesc Fabregas over the summer. It is important to say that at no point is there any suggestion that the player even knew about Bayern’s attempt to persuade his father and agent to engineer a move to Germany. That said, the comments made by Nicklas about possibly seeking a move elsewhere if he didn’t find his way into the starting eleven on a regular basis just heeded to fuel the fears of people at the club.

Tapping-up is highly tricky to prove and the only way it can be dealt with is that the club with whom the player is registered make a complaint to FIFA, the highly useful and rule abiding governing body of football. Chelsea have fallen foul of FIFA transfer ruling, in other words been punished for tapping-up, on a couple of occasions. The most recently they were let off during the Gael Kakuta saga.

It seems as if the dark shadow of Bayern Munich has been staved off for now with Bendtner committing his future to the club and explaining that he will fight for his place:

I want to get back to 100 per cent, get back into the squad and take my chances when I get them to prove I should be there. At the end of the season we can see where I am, see where the team is and how well we have done.

Whilst it is hardly a statement long-term commitment, we can’t doubt that he will fight for his position at the club and like him or not (I do), he does score goals. He has started 70 games and has a return of 40 goals – he has appeared as a substitute 65 times. Say what you like, but it is a very good return for a young striker who nearly had a tally of a goal a game last season after dragging us through many games towards the tail end when we still had slight hopes of winning the title.

For what it is worth, I reckon he is turning into a class forward, I have been saying it for the last few years and really do believe that he will be a world class striker, he has all the attributes and a knack for scoring big goals. Spurs, Chelsea Barcelona – not bad opposition to notch goals against by the age of 22.

Bayern’s interest is believed to have ignited in the summer after his form at the tail end of last season when he has half-fit – and has continued until this autumn. Milan are also said to be keeping tabs on him.

I for one, want him at the club for a very long time

http://thegoonblog.com/2011/01/bendtner ... enal-fear/
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Next

Return to 52. Nicklas Bendtner