Mannone - We need to get up from the floor

Mannone - We need to get up from the floor

Postby Trina » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:30 am

Vito Mannone says Arsenal need to “get up from the floor” after suffering their second successive defeat on Wednesday night.

Having won their first two Champions League group games, the team were brought down to earth by Schalke’s late show on Wednesday night.

After starting the season promisingly, Mannone is adamant Arsène Wenger's side can fight back and put this week’s results behind them.

“We’re really disappointed,” the goalkeeper said. “It’s not acceptable to play games like we did tonight and we need to focus on ourselves now and get back to the training ground and find a solution to come back. We need to come back stronger on Saturday.

“We need to win and I hope we get our heads in shape. We need to work as a team and we don’t need to point the finger to anybody because it’s a problem of a team.

“I think all over the field we didn't defend properly., didn't do well the job in midfield and didn't create many chances. At the minute, we need to get up from the floor and go again. The season has started well but now is the time to fight back.

“When you’re going through these moments, you need to show character. Unfortunately we didn’t today but I hope [in] the next game, it will be the Arsenal that the fans deserve. We’re playing for a big club and we need to show it.”

Mannone is urging the Arsenal supporters to get behind the team on Saturday - and insists the players will continue to work hard on the training pitch in order to turn things around.

“It’s not when everything goes right that you need them. Obviously it’s nice to have them always next to you, but at the minute we need a 12th man so the fans need to stick with the team.

“From tomorrow we’re going to go back to the training ground, work harder and try to be ready for the next one.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... -the-floor
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Mannone - We need to get up from the floor

Postby TheArsenalPost » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:37 am

Then defend the goal. Less chat more training!
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Est83 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:47 pm

They're going to run out of these generic post-defeat pep talks soon!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby JohnGooner » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:59 pm

Est83 wrote:They're going to run out of these generic post-defeat pep talks soon!

Exactly what I was thinking. The only person I want to hear after two consecutive games of playing like a relegation side is Wenger. Where is he by the way? Oh bloody right, he's preparing us for another fight to finish in the top 4. f**k sake
Adler
Matthews Per Vermaelen Gibbs
Bender Wilshere
Walcott Cazorla El Shaarawy
Poldi

Szczesny, Papadopoulos, Gibbs, Arteta, Bruma, OX, Giroud
JohnGooner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby TexasGooner » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:29 pm

TheArsenalPost wrote:Then defend the goal. Less chat more training!

Doesn't matter what Mannone does back there if we don't put a few in ourselves. Not like draws are going to get us anywhere.
TexasGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby AFC10 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Jay22 wrote:The sooner we get Chez back, the better. I know he isn't the answer for our GK problems, but he's still much better than Vito

Agree! Looked good the first few games because our defence was rock solid. Cringe every time the balls anywhere near our box, I don't with Schez
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby JohnGooner » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:13 pm

TexasGooner wrote:

Doesn't matter what Mannone does back there if we don't put a few in ourselves. Not like draws are going to get us anywhere.

Doesn't matter how much we'll score either if he keeps letting them in. Why should it be one of defending/attacking?
Adler
Matthews Per Vermaelen Gibbs
Bender Wilshere
Walcott Cazorla El Shaarawy
Poldi

Szczesny, Papadopoulos, Gibbs, Arteta, Bruma, OX, Giroud
JohnGooner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:24 pm

Jay22 wrote:The sooner we get Chez back, the better. I know he isn't the answer for our GK problems, but he's still much better than Vito

No he isn't. The difference between them is a hair thin.

They both are not good enough as it stands.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:43 pm

TexasGooner wrote:

Agreed. Attacking is supposed to be 'our thing'. On the whole, defensively we still look imporved. Set pieces are still an issue (e.g. Chelski), but in play, as a team, we're looking better.

... doesn't mean shit if we can't score though. At home and not a chance on target til the 94th minute! Embarassing!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby TheArsenalPost » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:19 pm

TexasGooner wrote:

Better than losing though. Our defence was all over the shop, you can't win anything with a poor defence.
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby greengoonerie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:26 am

I find it difficult to blame Mannone for our current ills. Our defence is terrible just now. Have a look at teh last 3 goals conceded

1. 2nd versus Schalke - Gnarby gives ball away, Santos loses position/man, Vermaelen lets cross run across him. Goal
2. 1st Versus Schalke - Verm/Mert don't cover Huntelaar - Jenks (or was it Santos!!) doesn't step out. One on one - goal.
3. Vs Norwich - nobody closes down shooter. He shoots. Mannone doesn't push it away, Mert slow to cover Holt. Tap in. goal

So, one could blame Mannone for the Norwich goal, but equally the DEFENCE had a role to play in all three and failed in each case.

That said i agree with Tex regarding NIL in the scoreline. Whatever about conceding goals, if you score NIL it is IMPOSSIBLE to win ANY game.

Szec better than Mannone?? I don't think so - 8 versus Man U last season, 4 versus Blackburn, cost us the League Cup final with Koc too IIRC.

THey're pretty equal to each other. Neither are top drawer at this stage of their careers IMO.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:58 pm

Our players are top of the chat league.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:03 am

ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zenith » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:07 am

ThereIsBearCum wrote:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:40 pm

I prefer Chesney by some distance. But Mannone is a more than good enough replacement.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Next

Return to 24. Vito Mannone