‘Loan spell gave me the mentality of a No 1’

‘Loan spell gave me the mentality of a No 1’

Postby Trina » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Vito Mannone believes his time at Hull City gave him the mentality of a No 1 goalkeeper.

The Italian has started, and kept clean sheets, in each of Arsenal's last two games, having replaced the injured Wojciech Szczesny.

And Mannone insists that playing regularly in the Championship has played a part in his assured performances for the Gunners.

"When you’re No 1, you feel important and like the happiest man in the world," he told Arsenal Player. "That sort of feeling gives me the chance to go onto the pitch with confidence. I had some good games [at Hull] and it was a great experience for me.

"I knew the place already because I went before [in 2010/11]. I found the same team-mates and the same team. I found a good manager in Nick Barmby and I thought I could train well and be the No 1."

Mannone created quite a reputation for himself at Hull, at one point keeping a record-breaking six consecutive clean sheets - and nine in 11 games. Now the 24-year-old wants to use that experience as he fights for a first-team place at Emirates Stadium.

"The Hull defence was good and we all played together and tried to get better every time we went on the pitch," he said. "For me the best thing was playing senior football and playing consecutive games and getting the mentality of the No 1."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... of-a-no-1-
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Re: ‘Loan spell gave me the mentality of a No 1’

Postby Est83 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Italy's, number one!
Italy's Italy's number one!

:thumbsup:

Szczesny only got his place ahead of the improved Fabianski of last season due to injury. Although I'm very sure that Szczesny will become a great keeper, I really hope Wenger gives Mannone the chance he gave Szczesny and keeps Vito in the team. He deserves his chance. He only flapped twice in the Liverppol game, and one time it was due to him being fouled.

I'm a hell of a lot more confident with the long shots with this man in goal, and there are certainly no question marks over his distribution.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:22 pm

Szczesny got his place exactly the same way. Keep Mannone i say.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Lee71*98*02 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:27 pm

As soon as Szczesny is fit he will go straight back into the starting line up. And the same with Fabi. He will be back on the bench which will be a shame for Manonne.
Lee71*98*02
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:31 pm

I'd like to keep Mannone at the club, as the number 2 if we aren't going to be signing a new keeper any time soon.

Fabianski should have been sold for his own good as much as ours. Playing second fiddle to Ches is a shit situation for him personally and he's a bit of a joke anyway, always injured.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Est83 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Wenger should stay consistent with his dicisions. Szczesny should understand given how he got his first experience as number 1.

It would be a massive F**K YOU to Mannone, and would make Wenger's intentinos very clear. If he's dropped straight away (without any howlers being the reason), then he should seek a new club.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:40 pm

He did the same 2 years ago after the Fulham game.

And back then there wasn't a clear cut choice.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:41 pm

I can't remember who came back in for Mannone after he was dropped... or why he was dropped? :dontknow:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Fabianski did. No reason to drop him either.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Lee71*98*02 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:54 pm

I think Wenger has a clear number 1 in his eyes. Szczesny will go back in the team just like David Seaman used to after injury.

Selling Fabianski will be good FOR HIM. but not us. We only have 3 first team goalkeepers now. Its shit for him that his club and international team mate is ahead of him. Hes f***ked for both club and country.
Lee71*98*02
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Leody » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:31 pm

It hasn't been an easy situation with our 3/4 GKs all being so close in age and ability, and throw in a mix of injuries for them... But I've been less than impressed with how we've managed the GK position since Jens left.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:40 am

Est83 wrote:Italy's, number one!
Italy's Italy's number one!

:thumbsup:

Szczesny only got his place ahead of the improved Fabianski of last season due to injury. Although I'm very sure that Szczesny will become a great keeper, I really hope Wenger gives Mannone the chance he gave Szczesny and keeps Vito in the team. He deserves his chance. He only flapped twice in the Liverppol game, and one time it was due to him being fouled.

I'm a hell of a lot more confident with the long shots with this man in goal, and there are certainly no question marks over his distribution.

Mannone flapped far more than twice against Liverpool... it was pretty much every time the ball came to him in the air
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:58 am

The ball is literally in his hands.
With Ches having an awful summer Vito has the chance to stake his claim but, please please please, for the love of punani sort out the high ball syndrome. There was a moment where a cross looped in the box and he was surrounded by his own defence and.... Luis Suarez, that giant of a man, and Vito still cowered away from claiming the ball. Reminiscent of Fabi's High Ball Syndrome. Wasn't the only time either. Sort that out and I'm cool with him being No.1.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:58 am

While we're on the subject did anyone notice that one of the players on the list of freebies at the moment is Craig Gordon?

Didn't we look at him shortly before buying Fabianski?

Why has no-one snapped him up, he's only 29?
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Git » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:18 am

Most injury prone goalkeeper in the history of football.

Good player though.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Next

Return to 24. Vito Mannone