Arshavin blasted for 'catastrophic' form

Arshavin blasted for 'catastrophic' form

Postby Est83 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:41 am

Didn't see the game but I'm not at all surprised.

Andrei Arshavin has come under fire from his fellow countrymen after a dismal performance in Russia's 0-0 draw in Armenia.

GettyImages
Andrei Arshavin: Not in good form.
Arshavin has been criticised at club side Arsenal this season for his below-par form, but Russia's stalemate that leaves them level on points with the Republic of Ireland and Slovakia in Group B of the Euro 2012 qualifiers has seen more critics speak out against him.

"Arshavin's first half was just a catastrophe," former Soviet international Sergei Andreev said. "I feel he doesn't want to play football anymore. He was not even walking around the pitch, let alone running. He just stood in the middle, pointing his finger to [tell] others where to send the ball."

Another ex-international, Dmitri Kuznetsov, added: "I can only wonder why his team-mates watch all this but do not say anything. They have to play with only 10 men in the team. Arshavin's performance on Saturday was a parody of football."

Arshavin has won 58 caps for his country and is also the current captain of the Russian side.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... ce?cc=5739

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Re: Arshavin blasted for 'catastrophic' form

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:58 am

Ouch. He'll come back and be shocking for us now til the end of the season. Always happens after he plays for Russia
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Forest » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:12 pm

So not even a change of scenery and international football can get the guy to do something.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Van The Man Persie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Dont really care what he does for Russia.

Has been better for us recently
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Est83 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:26 pm

I remember before Nasri came, we were linked with Nasri, Ben Arfa and Arshavin. A mate of mine who's a Newcastle fan (beats me, the only time he's left London is to visit family in Deli!) told me that he can see Arsenal going for Nasri, and that Arshavin is more of a Newcastle signing (this was before they got relegated).

He rated Arshavin highly but said that he's not a player that he can see ever being at a top club.

It's just one man's opinion of course, but his knowledge of world football is better than most. After Arshavin's first half season with us I got straight back in contact with my friend and had a smug chat with him... but since then I've been thinking that maybe he's always been a little overrated? :dontknow:

Just a thought. I still have faith in him, he's dug us out of some holes in that past. Although with a fully fit squad he wouldn't be in my starting XI.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby TheLittleMozart » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Arshavin was immense before he came to us! He won the UEFA cup final single handedly and was an intergral part of Zenit getting there.

f**k knows whats happend to him over the past season.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Van The Man Persie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:47 pm

Arsene Wenger happened to him

:hiding:
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:00 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:Arshavin was immense before he came to us! He won the UEFA cup final single handedly and was an intergral part of Zenit getting there.

It is like two completely different players alright. I'm sure if you got an expert on body language and the like they'd say he is obviously not a happy camper. Who knows if we will ever see that Arshavin again.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Est83 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:
TheLittleMozart wrote:Arshavin was immense before he came to us! He won the UEFA cup final single handedly and was an intergral part of Zenit getting there.

It is like two completely different players alright. I'm sure if you got an expert on body language and the like they'd say he is obviously not a happy camper. Who knows if we will ever see that Arshavin again.

:rofll:

That's a professional opinion there.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Goose » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:54 pm

Arshavin is inconsistent and doesnt always put the effort in, but when he does he is majestic

Similar to Adebayor, but with less offsides......
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby VCC » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:17 pm

Arsh comes up with the odd important goal,that aside his overall performances for Arsenal are poor,he come to Arsenal as a regular international a player who should show that consistancy and be a player for our younger up and coming stars to aspire to,this has not happened imo he was a poor signing for the side he is just not consistant and does not bother to work for the team,after a couple of minutes and a couple of shit passes Arsh goes missing.:)
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:12 am

shon wrote:Arsh comes up with the odd important goal,that aside his overall performances for Arsenal are poor,he come to Arsenal as a regular international a player who should show that consistancy and be a player for our younger up and coming stars to aspire to,this has not happened imo he was a poor signing for the side he is just not consistant and does not bother to work for the team,after a couple of minutes and a couple of shit passes Arsh goes missing.:)

This. Arshavin is an off & on player and that's not what we need in our 1st team atm (bench player? yes).
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby VCC » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:28 am

Gunner11 wrote:
shon wrote:Arsh comes up with the odd important goal,that aside his overall performances for Arsenal are poor,he come to Arsenal as a regular international a player who should show that consistancy and be a player for our younger up and coming stars to aspire to,this has not happened imo he was a poor signing for the side he is just not consistant and does not bother to work for the team,after a couple of minutes and a couple of shit passes Arsh goes missing.:)

This. Arshavin is an off & on player and that's not what we need in our 1st team atm (bench player? yes).

Agree very handy bench player,can grab a goal but on down side if you bring him on and he is in one of his hide moods he is a waste of space. :)
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:18 am

Hes not a world class player but at the same time we didnt pay world class money for him. And hes not on world class wages.

So although hes been disappointing, he is still worth keeping, baring in mind that we basicly got what we paid for.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby GunnGunn » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:30 am

For £16.5m we could have got someone better than Arshavin.

People need to look past the fact that he has quite a good scoring and assist record for us, and see that overall a player who is more consistent, and didn't lose the ball as much would be much more beneficial for the team overall.

The fact that he has been poor for Russia and subsequently blasted means that all the people, myself included who have said he has been well off form have been proven right.

Personally, i don't think he expected such a radical lifestyle change, his wife probably hates it here as well.

No doubt Arshavin has an elite ability but we do not see it often enough, and when we don't see it, he is detrimental to the team.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Next

Return to 23. Andrey Arshavin