Shava Is Back!!!!

Shava Is Back!!!!

Postby shamrock11 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Arshavins recent form was suggesting he was coming back to his best but when he came on yesterday we were revived and took the game by the scruff of the neck and this really showed he is back to his brilliant best,and he scored a good goal yesterday with a great finish
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Re: Shava Is Back!!!!

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:03 pm

Woah there...Steady on chap.

He didn't take anything by the scruff of the neck, he came on and scored....Thats about it.

He has been better in recent weeks, working much harder, but he is still nowhere near his best form, he would even admit that himself.

That goal however will go a long way to restoring some of that confidence however, but he isn't back, yet.

The truth is, he still could of been responsible for us not winning yesterday, i wonder if he would have been praised so much?

Lets not big him up too much, let him get back to form and banging in goals every other game like he is capable of before we start jumping about.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby shamrock11 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:08 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Woah there...Steady on chap.

He didn't take anything by the scruff of the neck, he came on and scored....Thats about it.

He has been better in recent weeks, working much harder, but he is still nowhere near his best form, he would even admit that himself.

That goal however will go a long way to restoring some of that confidence however, but he isn't back, yet.

The truth is, he still could of been responsible for us not winning yesterday, i wonder if he would have been praised so much?

Lets not big him up too much, let him get back to form and banging in goals every other game like he is capable of before we start jumping about.

my bad mate i meant the team did when he came on not him on his own
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Yeah, he did spark us into a bit more life i agree.

I am still pissed off at him for actually attempting that shot, little shit :grin:

He could have made a cup of tea, put the dinner on, read his son a book, banged his fit wife, took 5 touched and then carefully placed the ball anywhere in the net, and he did that.

Barca were not impressed :grin:
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:11 pm

No jynxing please shamrock.

By the way, Barca will have Puyol back but will be missing Pique :biggrin:

We'll probably have TV back. I'm not so sure if he'll start or not, BUT, with him back we will have a fully fit squad come the second leg.

.... :hiding:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby gzagee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Sorry, maybe I missed something but ermm, where did he go? :confused2: :dontknow:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Leody » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:44 pm

I highly, highly doubt that TV will be in the squad for the 2nd leg.

Even if he were fully fit, I would not want him playing ahead of Djouru or Kos anyway. He will just be coming back after about 6 months out, and playing at Barca isn't exactly a good idea for one of his first handful of games during his return.

On topic, I agree 100% with GG. Let's not go overboard about last night. He came on and he scored, something he's already done against Everton... what makes this any different? Just because it was Barca? It's a bit more emotional sure, but really it's just another step on the journey.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ProudGooner » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:50 pm

merge this with my other legendary, classic thread about lay off arshavin u dopey bathubs e.t.c.

No idea how I have not won poster of the month despite some legendary threads. really have no idea.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby elkanofan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:59 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Woah there...Steady on chap.

Give him the benefit of the doubt, he's won a huge amount of respect from me in the last few weeks, he's been very modest a unlike other prima donna players he recognized his poor form and has clearly made a huge effort to put it right,

also we all forget that i still believe the 4-3-3 simply dosen't suit him in terms of his all round play, his best position is the shadow striker playing in the hole (where he played for Zenit and where he's always played for Russia) where as out on the wing he runs at defenders too much and isn't at his creative 'genius' best.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Shava Is Back!!!!

Postby Cheese » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:06 pm

Shava openly admitted he was playing shit, had no confidence and didn't deserve a game. I said then he'll sort himself out. I think he has a good attitude, at least he wasn't lying to himself thinking he was worth his money and a starting place, because he wasn't! It's a bit early to say if he'll get back to near best but at least the confidence is coming back!
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Cheese wrote:Shava openly admitted he was playing shit, had no confidence and didn't deserve a game. I said then he'll sort himself out. I think he has a good attitude, at least he wasn't lying to himself thinking he was worth his money and a starting place, because he wasn't! It's a bit early to say if he'll get back to near best but at least the confidence is coming back!

+1
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Jay22 wrote:
Leody wrote:I highly, highly doubt that TV will be in the squad for the 2nd leg.

Even if he were fully fit, I would not want him playing ahead of Djouru or Kos anyway. He will just be coming back after about 6 months out, and playing at Barca isn't exactly a good idea for one of his first handful of games during his return.

On topic, I agree 100% with GG. Let's not go overboard about last night. He came on and he scored, something he's already done against Everton... what makes this any different? Just because it was Barca? It's a bit more emotional sure, but really it's just another step on the journey.

Come on Leody, the goal he scored against Everton was the equaliser and the one against Barca was the winning goal, what more you want? Also, his work rate has been really really good lately. He didn't scored against Wolves, but I thought he was pretty good in that game.

Point being, why does this one all the sudden mark his return when the previous efforts he's made have all be shrugged off?

He has been playing well for weeks, why is it just now being noticed? Why say now he's "returned"? Just because it was a winning goal against Barca? Does he now warrant a starting position?

Last night imho wasn't even his best match, or his best effort in the last few weeks. Had the best results though.

I still maintain that he should be used as a super sub and a spot starter when the squad is rotated or there is an injury. He seems to play much better when he's only on for 20-30mins and is up against tired legs. He's able to put in a high level of effort for his entire performance, something we've not seen him do as a starter playing the full 90.

Sorry I'm not bipolar like everybody else on this forum seems to be at times. The majority in this community could be easily mistaken for hormonal teenage girls with the mood swings they have.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:00 pm

I agree with keeping him as a sub. Don't fix what ain't broken. He's getting results in that role, and we're getting results with our starters, so no need to change it now.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Leody wrote:Sorry I'm not bipolar like everybody else on this forum seems to be at times. The majority in this community could be easily mistaken for hormonal teenage girls with the mood swings they have.

:grin:

So true.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:11 am

Leody wrote:I highly, highly doubt that TV will be in the squad for the 2nd leg.

I think he has every chance of being fit for the squad, I doubt very much he'll make the starting IV though. Chances are he'll get a reserve game next week as he's already been in training for two weeks. Might even get two games and be on the bench for a Prem game before the Barca clash.

The whole comment was a bit of a joke about jynxing the team really. "we will have a fully fit squad" <<< MAJOR JYNX!

Anyway, on topic. I'm with ChVint on this one. If it aint broke don't fix it. Arshavin hasn't been a 90 minute player for a long, LONG time. A couple of good performances and an improved attitude just shows that he's on the way to playing at his best again, to me it doesn't suggest that he should start. He does better than anyone coming off the bench, so why change it?

Besides, people are arguing that he's good enough to start, but they're failing to mention the players that he'll replace in the starting IV. Theo and especially Nasri start ahead of Arshavin without question in my opinion. Theo offers something completely different, a constant threat, and a reliable outlet, and Nasri is hands down our best player this season. It's a no brainer for me!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Next

Return to 23. Andrey Arshavin