Shava wants Song to replace Vermaelen

Shava wants Song to replace Vermaelen

Postby gzagee » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:06 am

Apparently this was said on ATVO.

I feel he's got too much to say these days. Although I agree with this.

Arshavin: I hope Song replaces Vermaelen on Saturday

Arsenal midfielder Andrey Arshavin has spoken about the loss of Thomas Vermaelen for Saturday’s trip to Birmingham City and revealed who he hopes will take on the Belgian’s role in the centre of defence.

Vermaelen has been a stalwart for Arsene Wenger this season playing in every single Premier League fixture since making the £10 million move from Ajax last summer. Harshly red carded against West Ham United at the weekend, the 23-year-old saw his appeal rejected leaving Arsenal with very few options for their next match.

With Sol Campbell performing capably since his return to Arsenal it is assumed that the veteran will continue to deputise for the injured William Gallas. Left-footer Mikael Silvestre poses another option and could be utilised should the former England international’s fitness not be up to coping with consecutive fixtures and a possible showdown with Barcelona’s Lionel Messi in the Champions League.

Midfielder Alexandre Song is the final option open to Wenger and having filled the position admirably in the role in the second half against the Hammers it is the Cameroon enforcer who is Arshavin’s preference to partner Campbell.

Speaking to Arsenal TV Online, the Russian admitted that Vermaelen’s loss was a concern:

“Yes of course, because he has done a good job for us this season.

“I hope, as we saw last game, that Alex [Song] will replace him and we will not have a big problem in defence.

Reflecting on the title race and the apparent pressures that come with challenging for major honours at this time of the season, the diminutive attacker continued:

“Pressure? No I don’t understand English so well or what they write down in the newspapers. There is no pressure for me.

“I do not understand what they write down so for me I am focused on my preparations and performance.

"I love football, I try to enjoy the game. [To win a trophy]...it would be great."

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/35 ... urday.aspx
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Shava wants Song to replace Vermaelen

Postby FrustratedGooner » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:14 am

yea he is talking to much of late. But everything he said is true.
FrustratedGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Re: Shava wants Song to replace Vermaelen

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:55 am

So do I shava, so do I.

A lot of people say he talks too much, and maybe he does say a few things at awkward times, but I'm glad he does talk. He's a valuable source for us fans to get a glimpse behind the curtains, so to speak. As long as he aint talking about dreaming of playing for Barcelona of Milan, whatever.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Return to 23. Andrey Arshavin