Carrier Bag Nazis

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Carrier Bag Nazis

Postby UFGN » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 pm

I really hate it when shops refuse to give you a carrier bag because they are having a "trial period" of getting people to bring their own. Oh but you can buy a great big "bag for life" thingy for X amount of money...

Well OK, I'll have a trial period of not using your bloody shop then!!

A lot of shopping is done on impulse, not planned. Is everyone supposed to carry round plastic bags in their pocket, just in case? Bollocks!

Its just spin and profiteering. There are carrier bags which are bio-degradable... perhaps supermarkets should be investing money into finding ways of making them cheaper instead of telling me I cant have a bag.

The only people who I have seen actually re-using bags are the same people who drive to the shops in their, er, cars, instead of walking or getting a bus.....
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Re: Carrier Bag Nazis

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:57 pm

i agree absolute shite, some foreign w***er at asda refused to give me bags the other day, he gave me one free and said i had to pay for any more, so i told him to wait a min, i walked up to the self serve bit and grabbed 4 bags from there and went back and packed my shopping
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby gzagee » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:01 pm

Agreed Grabs & Abs.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby the real gooner » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:03 pm

At last a thread about real issues. Surely this should be in the big debate?
the real gooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:20 pm

That pisses me right off that does! I like though when you use the self serve bit at Tescos and it askes if ou brought your own bags so yeah say yeah and choose 6 and get some extra clubcard points for f**k all...every little helps!
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby Trina » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:35 pm

Completely agree!

What I hate is they make you feel like crap for not bringing some, so I end up buying 1 or 2, but that's it.

Also, when you do ask for some bags, they give you two! How is that going to fit £100 worth of shopping in!
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby gzagee » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:39 pm

Trina wrote:Completely agree!

What I hate is they make you feel like crap for not bringing some, so I end up buying 1 or 2, but that's it.

Also, when you do ask for some bags, they give you two! How is that going to fit £100 worth of shopping in!

I just go to the next avaiable checkout and grab a load.

Feck em!
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:40 pm

And why are the 'bags for life' so f***ing ugly and made for birds? I ain't gonna stroll out Tescos with them flowerly looking cunty things they can f**k right off.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby Fordy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:45 pm

best thing to to do is when they ask if you want a hand with you packing just say well sine i only have 2 bags yes then stand there and watch them and try and do it you will soon get more bags
Fordy

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:46 pm

I was about to say that, they try and make you feel so bad it is ridiculous. They deliberately hesitate and give you a look like you have asked them to f*** their mother if you ask for more than 2 bags.

The thing is i have about 20 reusable bags in my cupboard and i try my best to remember them (and do 75% of the time) but sometimes you just forget. If they care so much about the environment then why don't they ban all products from their store with ott packaging and not get in any goods which have to be flown in........... i know, they won't do that because it would cost them money. Tossers.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby damo1583 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:58 pm

IF these supermarket companies care so much about the enviroment they should suply re-enforced bio-degradable paper bags............job done! (cold day in hell if it happens!)
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby TheLittleMozart » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:26 pm

damo1583 wrote:IF these supermarket companies care so much about the enviroment they should suply re-enforced bio-degradable paper bags............job done! (cold day in hell if it happens!)

Problem is that paper bags are never going to be as strong as normal carrier bags,plus when it rains your buggerd.
The supermarkets should be buying our old carrier bags back off of us and then re-selling them,that way we wouldnt need to re-cycle anything!
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:37 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:
damo1583 wrote:IF these supermarket companies care so much about the enviroment they should suply re-enforced bio-degradable paper bags............job done! (cold day in hell if it happens!)

Problem is that paper bags are never going to be as strong as normal carrier bags,plus when it rains your buggerd.
The supermarkets should be buying our old carrier bags back off of us and then re-selling them,that way we wouldnt need to re-cycle anything!

There is special biodegradable "plastic" but again, the supermarkets dont use bags made out of it cos it would cost them a few extra quid. Hypocrites.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Trina » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:46 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:

I was about to say that, they try and make you feel so bad it is ridiculous. They deliberately hesitate and give you a look like you have asked them to f*** their mother if you ask for more than 2 bags.

The thing is i have about 20 reusable bags in my cupboard and i try my best to remember them (and do 75% of the time) but sometimes you just forget. If they care so much about the environment then why don't they ban all products from their store with ott packaging and not get in any goods which have to be flown in........... i know, they won't do that because it would cost them money. Tossers.

I have loads here too....which I do put to good use! I usually go shopping at 5-6am on a Wednesday morning though so my head doesn't think "Remember the carrier bags!" or I just nip in somewhere whilst I'm out and it's not planned.

Totally agree about the packaging of food too. I remember watching something ages ago on that.

Can I just add that I do my part with recycling with the 50 bins I have here. One for card, paper, one for cans, tins, one for household crap, one for garden waste etc etc.

Might help if they empty the fecking things on time though! They missed it last week, so I now have to wait 4 weeks for it to be emptied :disgust:
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby UFGN » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:52 pm

Can I just add that I know that carrier bags are a huge environmental problem, but really, it is up to shops to provide a free, environmentally friendly, alternative. Until that happens the plastic bags will have to stay.

UFGN

Next

Return to The Harambee