I feel old...do you?

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: I feel old...do you?

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Lol the whole next day is destroyed on either for me
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:24 pm

Dejan wrote:Cocaine comedown isnt that bad tbh

Mdma is worse. Feel destroyed the day after

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

I can't handle it.

The come down makes me feel like I'm going to have a cardiac arrest, its no fun on a come down when you spend the next 2 hours trying to keep it together and not have a panic attack because you think your going to implode.

I swear I almost passed out once when I was feeling so anxious I thought I was going to be a hospital job, and these aren't from big amounts either.

My body just doesn't regulate coming down very well so I just stick to alcohol.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Next year Common People by Pulp will be 25 years old

When Common People was released, "25 years ago" was 1970

Feeling old yet?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby LMAO » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:50 pm

Nope.

1970 was a couple decades and some years before I was born.

The Berlin Wall coming down and the fall of the Soviet Union are nothing but events in history books for me. I don't remember 9/11 all that well. I legit can't recall I was doing that morning other than sitting in class; I honestly can't remember it as anything other than a normal day.

Do you feel even older now, gramps? :smartass:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby UFGN » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:11 am

LMAO wrote:Nope.

The Berlin Wall coming down and the fall of the Soviet Union are nothing but events in history books for me. I don't remember 9/11 all that well. I legit can't recall I was doing that morning other than sitting in class; I honestly can't remember it as anything other than a normal day.

I dont feel old in a negative way

I look back on the 90s not with pathetic nostalgia but with a lot of pride. London was buzzing and it seemed the whole world wanted a slice of our culture, especially our music and music from all over the UK.

I do miss the music.

And I feel sorry for people alive now, who never knew the world without the internet.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby LMAO » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:56 am

UFGN wrote:

I look back on the 90s not with pathetic nostalgia but with a lot of pride. London was buzzing and it seemed the whole world wanted a slice of our culture, especially our music and music from all over the UK.

I do miss the music.

And I feel sorry for people alive now, who never knew the world without the internet.

I've never thought about it like that. My little mid-90s sub-generation was one of the first to never know a world without computers or internet (i.e., more than half the country having access to or using them). But, we were also one of the last generations that wasn't totally addicted to computers before the age of five. I have vivid memories of riding my bike with neighborhood friends, playing in the woods all day during the summer, and having snowball fights.

Going back to 9/11, one thing that could make me wish I was born earlier is I don't remember and will probably never get to experience a free world, even if the world is technically the safest it's ever been. Y'know, simple stuff like walking to airport gates if you don't have a flight, being able to stay out late into the night as a child without parents reporting the kid as missing, not being connected to the outside world reachable at a moment's notice (no cell phones), etc.

But, I'm also glad I was born when I was. You say you're sorry for us since we've never known a world without the internet. I say us post-1990 people are incredibly lucky and fortunate. Even though there is a worrying rise of anti-science, anti-intellectualism, and pseudoscience occurring in the West right now, I've always been able to research information without needing to go to libraries and pull out a million books to search for something. A huge positive of that is religion and the importance of religion has declined in the West for young people. Post-1990 peeps are the least religious in recorded history, and the decline is only accelerating by the year.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby UFGN » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:15 am

LMAO wrote:
UFGN wrote:

I do miss the music.

I've never thought about it like that. My little mid-90s sub-generation was one of the first to never know a world without computers or internet (i.e., more than half the country having access to or using them). But, we were also one of the last generations that wasn't totally addicted to computers before the age of five. I have vivid memories of riding my bike with neighborhood friends, playing in the woods all day during the summer, and having snowball fights.

Going back to 9/11, one thing that could make me wish I was born earlier is I don't remember and will probably never get to experience a free world, even if the world is technically the safest it's ever been. Y'know, simple stuff like walking to airport gates if you don't have a flight, being able to stay out late into the night as a child without parents reporting the kid as missing, not being connected to the outside world reachable at a moment's notice (no cell phones), etc.

But, I'm also glad I was born when I was. You say you're sorry for us since we've never known a world without the internet. I say us post-1990 people are incredibly lucky and fortunate. Even though there is a worrying rise of anti-science, anti-intellectualism, and pseudoscience occurring in the West right now, I've always been able to research information without needing to go to libraries and pull out a million books to search for something. A huge positive of that is religion and the importance of religion has declined in the West for young people. Post-1990 peeps are the least religious in recorded history, and the decline is only accelerating by the year.

The internet has of course been very positive in many ways. Access to information is so much easier now. But, just as you had to before the internet, you should question to yourself the reliability of the source. Pre internet if you were given some advice about, a mortgage, for example, from a bloke down the pub who you knew was shit with money and a bullshitter, you would ignore that advice.

People are not good at filtering shit sources out. Its like people have lost this important instinct.

As for freedom, I challenge people to put your money where your mouth is. Lead by example. Let your kids go out and play. Limit their screen time.

Go out and explore, travel, go on holiday without your smartphone!! Its all still there. You just need to do it!

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:48 am

Nah UFGN has a point.

If you don't know what it was to be alive without the internet then sorry but you don't know what its like to really live a life.

Think of it this way, nobody before the generations after mine had ever grown up with the internet, thousands of years stopped in its tracks, now all you poor fkers are going to be "Touch screen" babies.

Some things are better now, a lot isn't.

Don't get me wrong nostalgia doesn't make me think everything was better before, but that was the point, we had pride in our inperfection, in fact it was celebrated.

Now everything is marketing and information, lifestyles you can't attain, online dating, your senses being bombarded with fake news.

Its ok for me because I feel I've matured into this technology, so as I'm getting older it makes life easier, but I only feel that way because I'm mature and grounded enough from being an 80's baby to take it with a pinch of salt, ya'll youngsters are glued to your screens, making emotional Facebook outbursts (which is so un-cool) its disturbing.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:30 am

Just to chip in, one thing that I believe the internet has accelerated is anti-intellectualism to the point where its almost perceived as some accomplishment.

With such easy access to information, you'd presume people would be more knowledgeable and more inclined to cultivating wisdom.

But no. Today's kids aren't any more brighter or wiser than the kids of the 50s despite the mecca of knowledge being a single click away.

That and the erosion of social values in the name of progress and modernization defines this digital era for me.

The internet's road to discovery is filled with beautiful anecdotes, experiments, and innovation. To think that 90% of the people use it for vanity is not only a sad reality, but a reflection of the narcissism inherent in human beings.

Of course, I'm speaking purely from an intellectual standpoint. :P

It's a very true saying, however. Majority of humans are wired to look for the most idiotic option when solving problems in order to help the grand evolutionary nature.

The internet is a new tool and we haven't quite figured out a way to use it to its full potential. We will. Sadly for this generation and the ones until 2030 more or less, we're the guinea pigs of the digital experiment.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:40 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Nah UFGN has a point.

If you don't know what it was to be alive without the internet then sorry but you don't know what its like to really live a life.

Think of it this way, nobody before the generations after mine had ever grown up with the internet, thousands of years stopped in its tracks, now all you poor fkers are going to be "Touch screen" babies.

Some things are better now, a lot isn't.

Don't get me wrong nostalgia doesn't make me think everything was better before, but that was the point, we had pride in our inperfection, in fact it was celebrated.

Now everything is marketing and information, lifestyles you can't attain, online dating, your senses being bombarded with fake news.

Its ok for me because I feel I've matured into this technology, so as I'm getting older it makes life easier, but I only feel that way because I'm mature and grounded enough from being an 80's baby to take it with a pinch of salt, ya'll youngsters are glued to your screens, making emotional Facebook outbursts (which is so un-cool) its disturbing.

tbf I did say it'd be nice to experience (or even really remember like an adult would) a free world like the pre-9/11 one.

I can't say which experience is better because that's subjective and you'll get a difference answer depending on whom you ask. I agree that it'd be nice to not be so addicted to digital technology, but at the same time, the world has been so much more open/accessible and smaller to my generation and younger. Back in your day (or really, even before you since online dating was a thing since the early 2000s), your options for dating were limited to your city/town. Now, you can find someone across the country (or continent in your case) whom you mesh with better. Sure, one or both of you will have to move, but it's easier to move away from family and old friends now than it was before because we have video chat, so even though they're not physically there, it's like they're there.

And yo grandpa, Facebook is uncool now with the younger generations. Get with the times lol
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:00 am

Angelito wrote:Just to chip in, one thing that I believe the internet has accelerated is anti-intellectualism to the point where its almost perceived as some accomplishment.

With such easy access to information, you'd presume people would be more knowledgeable and more inclined to cultivating wisdom.

But no. Today's kids aren't any more brighter or wiser than the kids of the 50s despite the mecca of knowledge being a single click away.

That and the erosion of social values in the name of progress and modernization defines this digital era for me.

The internet's road to discovery is filled with beautiful anecdotes, experiments, and innovation. To think that 90% of the people use it for vanity is not only a sad reality, but a reflection of the narcissism inherent in human beings.

Of course, I'm speaking purely from an intellectual standpoint. :P

It's a very true saying, however. Majority of humans are wired to look for the most idiotic option when solving problems in order to help the grand evolutionary nature.

The internet is a new tool and we haven't quite figured out a way to use it to its full potential. We will. Sadly for this generation and the ones until 2030 more or less, we're the guinea pigs of the digital experiment.

Seems like me, UFGN, and you are in agreement in regards to anti-intellectualism.

What do you mean by "the erosion of social values in the name of progress and modernization"? In my humble opinion, the generations that have grown up on the internet have improved social values (for the most part). Sure, we may be more vain, but at the same time, we've also largely proven to be more socially liberal and accepting of others, which I believe is a positive thing. As a whole, we have or we are:
•LGBTQ(and whatever other letters) acceptance
•religious, non-religious, and irreligious tolerance
•cultural tolerance
•anti-war and pro-diplomacy
•pro-workers' rights and anti-"business taking advantage of people"
•pro-feminism (not that man-hating feminazi stuff but actual feminism) and by extension, pro-choice
•pro-mental health (and discussing feelings) acceptance
•climate change advocacy
•changing the definition of respect (respect is earned not given, doesn't matter what hierarchical structure exists)
•calling out bullshit instead of simply taking it (going back to the previous bullet)

We're going to see a massive social shift in about a decade once the Silent Generation goes bye-bye and Boomers start to really die out.

Now, of course, we have our bad characteristics and bad apples—every generation does—but for the most part, I'd have to disagree with your assertion, unless I completely misunderstood it lmao
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby VCC » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:33 am

Society has become more informed and knowledge is certainly more attainable through modern gadgets among many other things listed by other posts
BUT
One thing the internet is a disgrace for is in my humble opinion
At least in my day bullies had to front up face to face
Not that any bully is acceptable but it becomes epidemic proportions when it can be any Tom dick and harry behind a screen.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Phil71 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:44 am

When I was a teenager the only phones I used were in the pub or in the street. I daren't use our one at home because my old man watched it like a hawk. Phone calls were expensive!

If you wanted to go out with a mate the usual procedure would be to put your coat on, go and knock on his door unannounced, he'd put his coat on and you'd go to the pub. Or you'd just put your coat on and go to the pub. There'd always be some regular or other in there that you could have have pint with.

Good days.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:09 am

A few points, LMAO and Angelito

Firstly regarding workers rights, im affraid we are seeing a decline, not an improvement. The increased lean toward casual working benefits the employer. Its full time jobs that offer security and really offer a work life balance. Also the erosion of trade unions is a very negative thing. On average, unionised workplaces earn more and have better conditions..... but instead of modernising Union politics and practices, young people are turning their backs, which will erode pay and conditions.

Also you are looking at the terrorism issue from an American perspective, but for us 9/11 didn't "change everything"..... we were already used to terrorism being in our sphere. We had the Troubles going on. When I was a kid the IRA bombed the offices of our local newspaper, just a five minute walk from my home..... nobody could work out why they chose that target..... but anyway it was part of life for us. Whats changed is people then had a "f**k you" attitude to it. We took pride in keeping calm, carrying on, not letting it change your plans or scare you.

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:23 am

LMAO wrote:And yo grandpa, Facebook is uncool now with the younger generations. Get with the times lol

.............and what is, Instagram?

I signed up to Instagram for 20mins before deleting my account.

All it is, is people posting pictures and you running around finding pics to like and people to follow.

Last time I checked I'm not a groupie.

Instagram does nothing for me, yes if you have a brand or a business to promote, I can see its use, but if you don't then I don't know why I would be on there, I have better things to do than like pics and follow people.

Facebook at least has a functional use for me, I can keep in contact and arrange stuff with friends and family, arrange events, news, view pics etc

I don't see what Instgram offers that I can't get off Facebook?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee