Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Which one did you get?

Pfizer-BioNTech
32%
Moderna
15%
Janssen (J&J)
6%
Oxford-AstraZeneca
29%
Sinopharm/Sinovac
No votes
Sputnik-V
No votes
Not vaccinated yet
18%

Total votes : 34

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Postby Phil71 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:00 pm

Italy on total lockdown because of Corona virus.

Flights still arriving in the UK from northern Italy.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Re: In the news today....

Postby Rockape » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:07 am

Flying out to Saalbach Hinterglemm (Austria) tomorrow for a lads ski trip. The day after 6 Brit skiers who had arrived there from Italy, were whisked away to a quarantined house. :rolleyes:
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:31 pm

Phil71 wrote:Italy on total lockdown because of Corona virus.

A couple questions if anyone has heard them addressed anyplace.

In China and all of SE Asia for that matter the locals have been wearing face masks for years due to air pollution. I wonder if the death rate in China is higher than it would be globally given there is perhaps a higher level of chronic lung disease there to start with?

Secondly has the UN, WHO or CDC been able to figure out how North Koreans are faring ? I would have to think that the virus is raging there, but no official reports.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby LMAO » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:32 pm

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:

In China and all of SE Asia for that matter the locals have been wearing face masks for years due to air pollution. I wonder if the death rate in China is higher than it would be globally given there is perhaps a higher level of chronic lung disease there to start with?

Secondly has the UN, WHO or CDC been able to figure out how North Koreans are faring ? I would have to think that the virus is raging there, but no official reports.

First question, probably. Pollution levels in China have been super high for longer than I've been alive and China has a huge smoking culture. But Italy has a high death rate too, although they have an old population. And we have a high death rate here in the US, but I'd put that down to a lack of widespread testing; most people who have it are probably asymptomatic, testing here is expensive, and we don't really have enough testing kits for all but the most ill.

Second question, I'd be surprised if North Korea had a lot of cases tbh. Liaoning and Jilin (the two Chinese provinces that border North Korea) aren't a hotbed for COVID-19, and North Korea isn't called a hermit kingdom for nothing. And there's a three mile wide bomb-infested land border with South Korea. Also, migration within North Korea is already heavily restricted, so if one of their northern cities or towns had cases, then Kim could immediately institute a quarantine and little would change for the average North Korean. Ironically, North Korea is probably one of the safest places in the world to be right now in regards to catching beer AIDS.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Phil71 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:54 pm

North Korea has been self-isolating for decades.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:40 pm

LMAO wrote:
Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:

First question, probably. Pollution levels in China have been super high for longer than I've been alive and China has a huge smoking culture. But Italy has a high death rate too, although they have an old population. And we have a high death rate here in the US, but I'd put that down to a lack of widespread testing; most people who have it are probably asymptomatic, testing here is expensive, and we don't really have enough testing kits for all but the most ill.

Second question, I'd be surprised if North Korea had a lot of cases tbh. Liaoning and Jilin (the two Chinese provinces that border North Korea) aren't a hotbed for COVID-19, and North Korea isn't called a hermit kingdom for nothing. And there's a three mile wide bomb-infested land border with South Korea. Also, migration within North Korea is already heavily restricted, so if one of their northern cities or towns had cases, then Kim could immediately institute a quarantine and little would change for the average North Korean. Ironically, North Korea is probably one of the safest places in the world to be right now in regards to catching beer AIDS.

I assumed as much but have not seen any media bring up the question.

Yes, but most US deaths were from a single old folks home in Seattle which has skewed the numbers. When we get more details about the number of low level cases that rate should drop.

The President was able to get the insurance companies in a meeting yesterday to waive all testing and treatment fees, including co pays, He did the same for Medicare and VA patents. Pence announced that by next week we will have over 4 million test kits available for local docs to prescribe as they see fit. Quite amazing bit of coordination and cooperation between the CDC and private companies to get the kits developed and deployed as quick as they have really.

N Korea has a wink wink nod nod arrangement with China in terms of smuggling across the northern border, and they get all of their energy and most of their food from China. I have little confidence that Kim would admit to it anyway. (But he I recall he got like six holes in one on his way to a 36 under par round!) I'd bet when this is all settled down we will get some semblance of truth. But as Phil noted...they are self isolating.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zenith » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:49 am

Interactive world map pertaining to COVID-19 -

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 7b48e9ecf6
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:02 am

Guy on Joe Rogans podcast who's an expert says all this mask wearing etc isn't going to stop it.

He said the way viruses work like this one is air borne and the germ can get anywhere, on your skin, in the air we breath etc.

He's also talking like this could be a big one for 3 months or so and he said there could be up to 90,000 deaths.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:06 am

https://ccdd.hsph.harvard.edu/will-covid-19-go-away-on-its-own-in-warmer-weather/

Seasonality of SARS-CoV-2: Will COVID-19 go away on its own in warmer weather?

(tl;dr) Probably not.

[...]

So in summary:
For the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, we have reason to expect that like other betacoronaviruses, it may transmit somewhat more efficiently in winter than summer, though we don’t know the mechanism(s) responsible. The size of the change is expected to be modest, and not enough to stop transmission on its own. Based on the analogy of pandemic flu, we expect that SARS-CoV-2, as a virus new to humans, will face less immunity and thus transmit more readily even outside of the winter season. Changing seasons and school vacation may help, but are unlikely to stop transmission. Urgent for effective policy is to determine if children are important transmitters, in which case school closures may help slow transmission, or not, in which case resources would be wasted in such closures. Previously it was thought children were not easily infected with SARS-CoV-2. Recent evidence from Shenzhen suggests that children may be infected and shed detectable virus at about the same rate as adults — so now the only question is whether they transmit as readily. It seems likely the answer is yes, but no data as of this writing to my knowledge.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby dc16 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:13 am

Another interview with a chap on channel 4 news (forgot who he was) was saying the same. It could be here for a while and at the very least it will rear it’s head again next winter. I’ll try and find it

Some of the stories coming from Italy and previously China were pretty grim. Particularly those involving lack of ICU beds and more importantly lack of ventilators for the most serious cases. Both described it as being close to a war.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Nuggets » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:06 am

Man made ? can't count that out.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Phil71 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:22 am

dc16 wrote:Another interview with a chap on channel 4 news (forgot who he was) was saying the same. It could be here for a while and at the very least it will rear it’s head again next winter. I’ll try and find it

Some of the stories coming from Italy and previously China were pretty grim. Particularly those involving lack of ICU beds and more importantly lack of ventilators for the most serious cases. Both described it as being close to a war.

Germany has the highest number of ICU beds with ventilators per capita in Europe.

They also have the lowest death rate for those who become infected.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Rockape » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:59 am

Phil71 wrote:
dc16 wrote:Another interview with a chap on channel 4 news (forgot who he was) was saying the same. It could be here for a while and at the very least it will rear it’s head again next winter. I’ll try and find it

Germany has the highest number of ICU beds with ventilators per capita in Europe.

They also have the lowest death rate for those who become infected.

That’s handy, I’ve just landed in Munich. Flight as 25% full, landed 25 mins early, bags were were waiting for us. There are some bonuses!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LMAO » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:40 pm

Nuggets wrote:Man made ? can't count that out.

Doubt it. Makes no sense to release an indiscriminate virus and not have a vaccine ready.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Postby UFGN » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Me, ive stocked up on soup, pasta and shit tickets and yes, I'm a bit worried about my mum and told her to make sure she has extra stocks of all her medication.

Nothing else to say.

I'm tired of hearing about W****rs nicking hand gell, and other W****rs "losing confidence in the markets" yadyada

Funny how all these financial experts working as traders and fund managers are, supposedly experts, but they all lose their shit over any crisis, big or small. Dont tell me its all a clever plan. Sure some of it is about making money on the downward spiral, but a lot more of it is just adults shitting their pants

Everyone calm down and chill out. Prepare, sure, but dont be a w***er about it, dont use it as a chance to make a quick buck, and dont pay over the odds for f***ing hand gell
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Next

Return to The Harambee