Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Which one did you get?

Pfizer-BioNTech
32%
Moderna
15%
Janssen (J&J)
6%
Oxford-AstraZeneca
29%
Sinopharm/Sinovac
No votes
Sputnik-V
No votes
Not vaccinated yet
18%

Total votes : 34

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Postby Jedi » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:32 pm

VCC wrote:This may be miss information maybe you guys can inform or debate.
The current covid both 19 and delta, does the vaccine offer protection further than 6 months, i have been told and have not attempted to investigate myself that the jabs only have a short time frame of effectiveness ?.
If so i hear ? The jabs are not meant to be stockpilled on one other ?. Meaning boosters should not happen?.
So if this is correct what is going to happen when these effects wear off if peeps bodies do not form a defence and also if another variant happens which is highly likely?

There's some loss of effectiveness after 6 months, but It's still a hell of a lot better than no protection.

As far as boosters go, I'm pretty sure most countries have started rolling them out, no? Idk about the UK but in Serbia we've already been doing booster shots for a while. My mother got her 3rd jab of Pfizer and my father who initially got two jabs of the Chinese Sinopharm also got Pfizer as his booster shot.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby VCC » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:13 pm

Thanks guys
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:32 pm

Right, so I am double vaxxed, but not someone who preaches that people who don't want the vaccinations should be either pressured to have them or forced through social exclusion to have them.
As it stands, I will not have the booster until I have further researched some data and papers that I am currently looking at that suggest that over working the immune system can have long term damaging effects (sometimes serious)

However, I am also fed up with utter morons like Ron Johnson - a Republican Senator in the USA - spouting utter shite and misleading people.
Here he is grandstanding some of our UK stats - on the US Senate floor - from Public Health England ... 63% of deaths since February have been those that have been double vaxxed. Amazing, except not really when you consider the vast majority of this country has been vaxxed. What he doesn't say, either because he doesn't know or is leaving out because he's an arsehole, is that the RATE of death between vaxxed and non vaxxed is nearly 10 times lower.

Classic case of a dimwit misrepresenting things and misleading millions.
Already we are seeing the ridiculous 'Boom, Covid Truth' BS videos springing up off the back of this nonsense.

He should resign.

jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:25 pm

Its because everyone is at it .......... the agenda comes first.

Real facts and information that people actually need be damned.

Its all political or bias, money, corruption and now every tom, dick and harry with a social media account is a fkin expert.

The saying "You know nothing, if you knew you knew nothing that would actually be something but you don't".

Is pretty apt for today's minions.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:03 am

jayramfootball wrote:Right, so I am double vaxxed, but not someone who preaches that people who don't want the vaccinations should be either pressured to have them or forced through social exclusion to have them.
As it stands, I will not have the booster until I have further researched some data and papers that I am currently looking at that suggest that over working the immune system can have long term damaging effects (sometimes serious)

However, I am also fed up with utter morons like Ron Johnson - a Republican Senator in the USA - spouting utter shite and misleading people.
Here he is grandstanding some of our UK stats - on the US Senate floor - from Public Health England ... 63% of deaths since February have been those that have been double vaxxed. Amazing, except not really when you consider the vast majority of this country has been vaxxed. What he doesn't say, either because he doesn't know or is leaving out because he's an arsehole, is that the RATE of death between vaxxed and non vaxxed is nearly 10 times lower.

Classic case of a dimwit misrepresenting things and misleading millions.
Already we are seeing the ridiculous 'Boom, Covid Truth' BS videos springing up off the back of this nonsense.

He should resign.

That's Ron Johnson for ya. He's always been an asswipe. It's 50/50 as to whether Wisconsin votes him out next year in the midterms.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Rockape » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:04 am

Meanwhile in NZ:

JACINDA ARDERN, the New Zealand prime minister, yesterday acknowledged something most other leaders did long ago: her government may never be rid of coronavirus.

The Pacific nation was among just a handful of countries to bring Covid-19 cases down to zero last year. The elimination strategy led to just 27 deaths. But an outbreak of the highly infectious delta variant in mid-August frustrated efforts to stamp out transmission.

Despite New Zealand going into the strictest form of lockdown after just a single case was detected, it ultimately was not enough. The caseload has now grown to more than 1,300, with a further 29 infections detected yesterday.

“With this outbreak and delta, the return to zero is incredibly difficult,” Ms Ardern said, as she announced a major policy shift.

Ms Ardern said restrictions affecting 1.7 million people in Auckland would be scaled back, with some freedoms introduced from tomorrow. She said strict lockdowns will end once 90 per cent of the eligible population is vaccinated. So far only 48 per cent of the eligible population have received two jabs.

Contact tracing and quarantine requirements would remain in place to keep the outbreak under control, she said, adding: “There’s good cause for us to feel optimistic about the future, but we cannot rush.”

She described the variant as “a tentacle that has been incredibly hard to shake”. She also insisted she had already been planning to abandon the country’s zero-Covid policy.

Over the weekend, hundreds of people turned out to rallies protesting against the lockdown. Political parties on both sides slammed the move, with the opposition saying the situation was “very clearly out of control”, and coalition partners the Greens criticising the move for putting vulnerable communities and children at risk.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 am

People protesting lockdowns are some of the dumbest people of all time
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:05 am

Ach wrote:People protesting lockdowns are some of the dumbest people of all time

<facepalm>
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Rockape » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:39 am

People protesting lockdowns are some of the dumbest people of all time

Maybe in the short term you could say that, but imagine if we were still being locked down in the UK.....with the vaccine available since Dec '20? They'd be riots, let alone protests!

Its fair to say the NZ tried a strategy that has ultimately failed, although not many died. Sweden took the opposite tack and although its had a high death rate, its economy has bounced back quickly, their mental health stats are good and the current death rate is close to zero for two months, suggesting that unless a new variant emerges, the worst is behind them. Because NZ have kept everyone apart and no imunity has even been built by the kids, they may well have an uphill road ahead!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby VCC » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:55 pm

Living in NZ
This is how media world wide shows bias, yes Adern has said that it can no longer rid of corona ( something that was always going to come).
The reality is
Nz has a health system that has been neglected and poorly managed for decades by its health boards and governments.
There was simply not enough ventilators to take the virus on any other way. If NZ had opened up and tried to achieve what the uk had the headlines would of been catastrophic.
The theory was stay isolated give time until we see what works best vaccine wise.
Where it has come unstuck is the slow vaccine rate initially because of no covid being around.
Now that the virus is in some of the comunity the vacine rate is at 79% what is it there%
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:02 pm

^^^^ Nz has fewer than 500 ventilators and not enough icu beds available to have attacked the virus any other way
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Rockape » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:34 pm

Article in the Telegraph…..incredible!

Melbourne’s zero-Covid dream is now a nightmare
The world’s longest lockdown is like something from a dystopian novel, in which the state has robbed us of our civil liberties

By Megan Goldin

It’s a bright cold day in October and the clocks are striking nine. That’s the time when residents of my home town of Melbourne, Australia, must obey a curfew or face crushing fines for breaching health orders. It’s not quite Orwell’s Oceania, but Australia’s second city shares some alarming similarities with the totalitarian regime from Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Melbourne holds the dubious record of being the most locked-down city in the world – 260 days and counting. Watching television footage from Italy, India, New York and even London at the peak of their outbreaks terrified many Australians into relinquishing all their civil liberties.

Unlike in the UK, where advice is formulated by Sage, Australian state health officers issue restrictions without explaining the science underpinning them. Many experts doubt that rules like curfews curb Covid at all. As cases in locked-down Melbourne reached a record high of 2,300 per day, officials in Sydney ended lockdown early after a vaccination drive. The reason for the spike is that Melbourne’s lockdown-fatigued citizens are secretly breaking all the rules, even those that actually work.

Democracy has crumbled under zero Covid, with parliaments shut for months under health orders. The twitching curtain brigade, encouraged by government campaigns urging them to inform on their neighbours, watch for rule-breakers and use special hotlines to summon the police. Melbourne police were recently ordered to patrol playgrounds until a public outcry forced a U-turn. In a park near me, children on scooters flee as a police car pulls up. It’s like a scene from RoboCop.

Masks are mandatory outdoors even if walking on a windswept beach or a deserted street. Those caught disobeying may be fined, handcuffed, forcibly masked and arrested if they refuse to comply. In another Orwellian twist, health orders banning protests are issued by bureaucrats reporting to the very leaders the protesters are demonstrating against. Protest organisers, including a pregnant woman, have been arrested in their homes and hit with conspiracy charges. Religious worship, even in small groups outdoors, has been banned.

Getting into Australia has been near-impossible. Getting out requires a North Korea-style exit permit. Border closures have separated families and caused untold hardship. Babies have died, unable to access urgent medical attention at the nearest hospital across a locked state border. Thousands of holiday-makers who were travelling when border closures were imposed have been made homeless, some having to sleep in cars or live for months in refugee-style campsites, unable to return home even if they are double vaccinated. Some have been prevented from visiting dying relatives in other cities. Yet state leaders have held firm, only lifting interstate bans for celebrities and sports stars.

Many abroad envy Australians, believing we have escaped the worst of the pandemic, but the true cost of our lockdown policy is yet to be fully understood. While deaths have remained low, other metrics paint a disastrous picture. Psychologists and GPs report a surge in substance abuse, eating disorders, domestic and child abuse, truancy, depression, anxiety and self-harm. Even high vaccine uptake may not protect the most vulnerable from Covid; let alone the other illnesses that could ravage Australia due to the “immunity debt” caused by much lower exposure to other viruses.

While Sydney opens up, some states are still pursuing doomed zero-Covid policies. The irony is that flights between Sydney and London will resume long before Australians can travel freely within their own country.

Megan Goldin is the author of ‘The Night Swim’ and ‘Stay Awake’
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Royal Gooner » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:02 pm

It was never going to work. You shut off the country while the rest of the world is getting infected and immunity as well as vaccines is going to cause a perfect storm the instant you open the doors. The Aussie citizens are now as exposed as the Chinese were at the very start because of the foolish decision to lock off the island.

But the way the Aussie authorities have reacted is absolutely crazy. They turned their police into the Stasi overnight and the way they behaved at the war memorial commemoration those who died fighting against authoritarianism is most appalling. The fact they even check coffee cups to see if you were actually drinking to justify the mask being off is nuts.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:22 pm

Every country has the right to act as they please .......... however, they must answer to their own people.

I'd hate to think what it would be like now in the UK if the lockdown continued, imo its done a lot of damage, the town centre here hasn't bounced back.

Night time trade in restaurants, bars clubs etc relied a lot on my generation because we are the outgoing generation from the 90's, the lockdown has retired a lot of my circle and many others, I've not been out in town for months, I used to go out almost every weekend.

We won't be back in full numbers, in fact I'd be surprised if they even get 50% back, so many of us have gotten used to doing things locally or even just at home and the younger gen today are all about house parties or sitting in on their social media, they don't go out the way my gen did.

I think if they try another lockdown here they'll get a very bad reaction, the vaccine is widely available, waiting for that was the only reason they had, if covid sky rockets again the question will be what was the point of the fkin vaccine?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:35 am

Lockdowns were for a good cause (until vaccines were readily available), but now we're seeing the consequences of it like inflation and supply chain issues worldwide. And afaik, Australia doesn't have vaccine availability issues, so I don't know what possessed Melbourne to have such a long lockdown.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee